PDA

View Full Version : Kakut lake alberta going on thursday

bruce44
07-15-2009, 05:17 AM
never been i heard it better shore fishing than swan so im checking it out. Im using a mepps aglia spinner what do you think of using lures in that lake will i get stuck alot. How is the fishing offshore

GummyMonster
07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey bruce,
I'm no trout expert, but i've been to Kakut a few times.
The fishing is actually in a big stocked pond right next to the lake.I have been using flies and a bobber with good luck. Black flies with a bit of red seem to be best in the last month or so.
To be honest, I havent tried hard tackle but have been told that spinners and pickerel rigs work well.
Weeds are a little thick next to shore but are only 10 -12 feet out, so casting past them is no problem.
I have been told there are pike in the lake but I cannot vouch for this.
the campground is basic but well kept, with a decent play area for kids.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.
:evilgrin:Ken:evilgrin:

exportblue
07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
hey guys i keep hearing about this lake where abouts is it, i would like to check it out. Must be close to gp. help me out please

bruce44
07-16-2009, 11:15 AM
hey guys i keep hearing about this lake where abouts is it, i would like to check it out. Must be close to gp. help me out please

you live here in gp so i assume you know where sexsmith is. Get on highway 2 thats the highway heading towards clairmont stay on that highway and drive past sexsmith until you see a turnoff on your left called woking do not turn off there just keep going about another 1km and on the right you will see a sign hwy 677 turn down there and keep following it you will see a sign saying the lakes turnoff the turnoff is on the left. If you get to range road 41 you went too far you will know because if you go too far you will end up at a 3 way intersection where you have to go left or right

Hunter Trav
07-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Just a warning to you about Kakut. Some unknown people released perch in there a couple of years back, and the winter after there was a major winter kill. My buddy and I checked it out with a aqua-vu, and all we could find were dead fish everywhere. Its probably been restocked, but there might not be much there as far as size goes. Used to be some not bad ones in there. If you weren't fly fishing, the best luck was usually had on a hook with a kernal or 2 of corn with a chunk of dew worm, sitting under a bobber. To get to the lake you go just north of the Woking turnoff on hwy2, and its secdary hwy 677 I believe, and you go east about 10km or so. There are signs so its easy to find. Hope that helps... :D

exportblue
07-16-2009, 11:24 AM
hey thanks guys, also r u allowed electric motors in there or is it better from shore.

Sporty
07-16-2009, 02:53 PM
There is a small pond enclosure on the south side of the lake that is also a bird sanctuary, that is the area that is stocked with trout. There were trout in abundance when I was out there last Sunday. It is a great place for fishing and you won't be able to take a boat into the smaller area. I have no idea about the rest of the lake as to whether there is fish there or not.

bruce44
07-17-2009, 10:56 AM
i got two things to say after going to the pond yesterdy. Duck crap. It was everywhere. there were alot of fish jumping but they were all small they didnt go after my worm so i switched to a black fly and they went nuts. But unfortunately they were all to small to keep. It was fun though it was like kokanee fishing

GummyMonster
07-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Great to hear you had a good outing. There are some keepers in there, during the winter I've seen some really nice keepers brought in.Keep Trying and good luck.
There is also a fishing pond at the west side of rycroft to try.Haven't been there yet myself, but its hardly any farther from Grande Prairie.