PDA

View Full Version : lille help for a newbie??

mistamikel
07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
hi all, Im new to the forum and also new to fly fishing :wave:
and i was just wondering where is a good place to go near the ne of calgary?
or where is a good spot to go in fish creek?
thanks in advance
Mike

smitty9
07-15-2009, 01:25 PM
MistaMikel:

Firstly, the Bow is generally considered a tough place to learn flyfishing. However, it can be a great place to practice flycasting (lots of room in lots of places).

I recommend you take a course or find a mentor. Many of the flyshops offer one day course. Or, hopefully, you have a buddy.

Fish Creek is a great place. Frankly, when it comes to the Bow and fishing, just look for the other anglers. I have heard some guys doing great in the evenings.

Another spot whether the conservation folks will encourage you to keep fish and you can practice casting, is Elbow Lake. Full of small brookies. Take a frying pan with you. ;) Its a short, steep hike in K-Country.

Haven't heard much about Allen Bill pond out by Bragg Creek.

Sorry, started to wander, cause you were asking about NE Calgary specifically, I know guys fish upstream of the Crowchild bridge, and also where Stoney crosses it.

DeWitt's pond is close to the NE of Calgary; you can get there - somehow - from Country Hills Blvd.

Basically, the Bow is full of fish wherever you fish it, but I do know its not the kindest river to beginners. An alternate idea is to hire a guide; it will accelerate your learning curve 50x!

Seriously, if you can get away from the city and don't mind the hike, try Elbow Lake. ;)

Smitty

mistamikel
07-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Hey Smitty,
thanks for the tips, I do a lot of spin casting and have caught a TON of trout all over the place but really didnt know where else to go to do some fly fishing. Ive tried the bow lol and had a few bites but the best luck Ive had was Carsland for flying. Any ways once again thanks for the tips and I think I might try K-County next.
Thanks again for the tips

Hooker
07-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Smitty9 has some good points for you. Lessons will save you a lot of frustration and make fishing much more enjoyable. To get to De Witts pond just take the Big Hill Springs road west from Airdrie and watch for the signs. It's about 5 miles (8 Km) and on the south side of the road.

AndrewM
07-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I am new to fishing the bow too. If you looking for someone to go with, send me a message. I live in the NW in Ranchlands.

mistamikel
07-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I know Im not the best flyer in the world but for being a newbie Im not too bad lol, I watch a lot of youtube vids lol and learn from there as well as just asking other fisher people about what to do and what not to do so fishing the bow isnt frustrating me at all.

AndrewM check your pm's

Thanks again for the tips guys and if theres anymore feel frree to pm me or post em,
thanks

jts1
07-16-2009, 01:28 AM
We did Allen Bill tonight landed 11 lost a bunch more REAL dirty water. Even a few WHT Fish. I would go out fly fishn with you Just drop a guy a msg We could hike in K Country know of a few spots.

mistamikel
07-16-2009, 10:54 AM
We did Allen Bill tonight landed 11 lost a bunch more REAL dirty water. Even a few WHT Fish. I would go out fly fishn with you Just drop a guy a msg We could hike in K Country know of a few spots.

sounds good as I wanna try k-country because i havent been there in a few years, i will for sure send you a pm or email and would love to go with someone who knows where and what to do lol.
thanks