PDA

View Full Version : firewood

rnep
10-31-2019, 12:48 PM
hi folks. just wondering if any of you know what the rules mught be for cutting firewood that you're NOT removing from the area. I've had tree cutting permits before for homw use, but this will be my first time with a wall tent and stove. I don't need problems so looking to solve them first. Can people cut and use wood on crown land without a permit. i assume so, but just checking

Puma
10-31-2019, 04:05 PM
I believe its ok to use standing dead wood and dead fall without a permit.

singleshotom
10-31-2019, 05:19 PM
We always stopped at forestry an got a permit! Didn’t ant anyone complaining, or bitching! Plus we hauled some home at the end!
Pretty simple that way.
Sst

Sooner
10-31-2019, 05:44 PM
In the past when out hunting, we just grabbed standing or fallen dead wood. Yet when I go camping and the campground charges for firewood, I buy the 5 buck permit on line and go get wood so I won't be hassled(not sure the powers that be out there even care).

Where our wall tent is, F&W or Forestry won't be back there on atv's so won't waste the 5 bucks.

The permit is cheap and easy and quick to do online if you want to be safe.

Camdec
11-01-2019, 12:20 AM
With the limited number of officers I would surely hope they have more pressing issues than someone cutting down a live tree.

Marty S
11-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Beavers don't get permits.

Is that helpful?

kritz
11-01-2019, 07:43 AM
Beavers don't get permits.

Is that helpful?

Ya But, When they do it they pay a penalty!

zabbo
11-01-2019, 08:04 AM
I spend most of the summer camping at Dutch creek campground. Many of the "locals" collect dead fall and dead standing all summer. No permit required. That said, one of the guys was cutting wood last summer and a C.O. demanded to see his permit. He actually takes wood home on occasion and to save the hassle he presented the permit he had. Went into Blairmore forestry the next day and was told no permit required if the wood is used on site for a warming or cooking fire. I have been given the same information on a number of occasions when I called forestry in Calgary. Sadly, many of the persons enforcing the law, DO NOT KNOW the law. Many many random campers also collect wood and I doubt any of them have permits. :)

Big Grey Wolf
11-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Zabbo, good clear explanation. You can cut all the dry wood you want for hunting tent. We cut a lot of wood for our trapping cabins without a permit. Only time Forestry companies complain is when we cut down the Queens nice pine trees to build our cabins, never was a problem few years back.

rnep
11-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Thank you very much folks. Really appreciate the feed back