PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Ice fishing snowmobile.

-JR-
11-02-2019, 07:56 AM
Trucks and atv just do not cut it when the snow gets deep
So who makes the best of the best sleds for icing fishing.
Is it better to haul your gear on a snowmobile or pull a sled behind?

Sledin
11-02-2019, 08:18 AM
It depends on you what’s the best.
On one end is the Skidoo Tundra (or Yamaha Bravo if your looking used), then the utility sleds the Skidoo Skandic and AC Bearcat, then the Polaris Voyager is a cross between a touring and tundra.
Then I think kinda is a class by itself is the skidoo Expedition, it’s a utility cross touring sled, it would be my choice.
Even a full touring sled is a great choice.

For tight bush trails the tundra and bravo win.
For heavy hauling the utilities win.
The crossovers win if your going to go back country and on trail.
The touring sleds are nice if your not going backcountry.

As far as keeping gear on the snowmobile(?)
I prefer a toboggan, but some things are nice to keep on the snowmobile like a sonar and auger for quick access to check structure and depth.
The auger flyte also cuts everything in the toboggan as it rubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xbolt7mm
11-02-2019, 08:26 AM
I use a canam XMR 1000 with tracks and the largest sled I could find with added runners on it and a hard linkage instead of the rope

35 whelen
11-02-2019, 08:32 AM
Im also looking right now will be going with a touring sled ,and biggest pelican toboggan, There a few on kijji right now around $2500 to $3000 .

RavYak
11-02-2019, 09:23 AM
If you could fit all the required gear on the snowmobile that would be the way to go but pretty tough to do unless you use minimal gear. If you have tent, heater, flasher etc takes up quite a lot of space.

Pulling a sled isn’t bad but it does slow you down a bit, uses a fair bit more gas and it takes some practice to secure things so they don’t get beat up from bouncing around. Deep fluffy snow makes for pretty tough pulling.

35 whelen
11-02-2019, 09:25 AM
If you could fit all the required gear on the snowmobile that would be the way to go but pretty tough to do unless you use minimal gear. If you have tent, heater, flasher etc takes up quite a lot of space.

Pulling a sled isn’t bad but it does slow you down a bit, uses a fair bit more gas and it takes some practice to secure things so they don’t get beat up from bouncing around. Deep fluffy snow makes for pretty tough pulling.You got that right about a sled we had two sleds on our rental last year s*** was breaking falling off best to have a tarp cover ratchet straps and put your auger on the back of your snow machine

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

FishHunterPro
11-02-2019, 09:50 AM
The Polaris voyager or Lxt if you want a 2 seater are great sleds . I have the lxt 550 and it’s been a great sled so far and I think it was about $8200 out the door new. The voyager is better for tight boon docking through the bush. My sled is excellent in deep snow cause it came with skis that would fit on a small plane lol.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MZHp9LL/6-DD24-E49-E4-D8-4555-84-FC-112323-E50-B99.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5Y4r9Xdz)

Drewski Canuck
11-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Not a lot of sleds have a 2 speed transmission. Low for pulling ice shacks, or 30 foot logs if you fancy that, and high for regular riding.

Easy start, bullet proof design, long seat, storage under the seat,

Any guesses yet? Well the guys who own a Yamaha VK 540 knew it on the first line I wrote.

These things are the sled of choice with trappers in Alaska. 20 inch track 154 " long does help.

Drewski

RavYak
11-02-2019, 10:30 PM
You got that right about a sled we had two sleds on our rental last year s*** was breaking falling off best to have a tarp cover ratchet straps and put your auger on the back of your snow machine

When we did our big trip to lake Athabasca we broke two heaters an auger, a flasher and some other small stuff. Learned a bit from that trip and now pack things a little better, use tent to support/hold auger, put other gear in Rubbermaid’s or milk crates and use bedding, spare clothes etc to secure/protect anything fragile.

We didn’t have a problem with stuff falling off but that is because we had two sleds each (and even on smaller trips usually have at least one each). Our issue was just rattling due to rough trails/conditions.

As for sleds we use the otter pro sleds with hitch and covers. Definitely want a solid hitch and a good quality sled. The cheap ones are weak and I doubt they would last at least the way we treat them.

Dewey Cox
11-02-2019, 10:30 PM
When you need a snowmobile, the one that's available is by far the best one.

Sledin
11-03-2019, 04:46 AM
You got that right about a sled we had two sleds on our rental last year s*** was breaking falling off best to have a tarp cover ratchet straps and put your auger on the back of your snow machine

The problem with static straps is that things bounce in the toboggan, I tried to use cam straps for a while, they would fall off as things moved.

Now I have a bungee cargo net that I put over my cover on my otter magnum toboggan. I bought six(?) flat bungee straps from Cdn tire in two lengths and sewed them together to make a net.

35 whelen
11-03-2019, 08:35 AM
The problem with static straps is that things bounce in the toboggan, I tried to use cam straps for a while, they would fall off as things moved.

Now I have a bungee cargo net that I put over my cover on my otter magnum toboggan. I bought six(?) flat bungee straps from Cdn tire in two lengths and sewed them together to make a net.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkExactly bungee straps with little hooks will be this year's project

jim summit
11-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Not a lot of sleds have a 2 speed transmission. Low for pulling ice shacks, or 30 foot logs if you fancy that, and high for regular riding.

Easy start, bullet proof design, long seat, storage under the seat,

Any guesses yet? Well the guys who own a Yamaha VK 540 knew it on the first line I wrote.

These things are the sled of choice with trappers in Alaska. 20 inch track 154 " long does help.

Drewski
Yep excellent choice, 2 speed trans, wide track, just toss the 2 smoke and insert a 4 stroke, and smooth riding A-Arms...Ski doo Expedition! 🙂

Sledin
11-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Don’t most utility snowmobiles have two speed transmissions?

jim summit
11-03-2019, 09:45 AM
The Expedition Sport and the Tundra do not have 2 speed trans but are geared lower then a standard sled. They have a 16”wide x 154” track which is a nice trail/deep snow. Think of it as 3/4 ton, wide track is 1 ton.

Sooner
11-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Get a nice used touring sled with a two up seat or a sled the trappers use. Hitch, Otter Magnum sled and tow bar. Pack your gear, cover with a tarp, bungee it down and drive to your spot in style. Fan cooled work in low snow conditions like spring, when the snow is packed and not loose much better. Don't have to always be getting snow on the track for cooling.

Any brand has good touring models in 2 stroke or 4. Depends what you prefer and cash you want to spend.

This is my rig, Got the sled from my friends wife after he passed. It was his project while he fought lung cancer. I finished it and it rides on in his memory. Great little ice fishing combo. 1996 touring 500.

jpg.gif S& - Feb & Mcbride 018.jpg (56.3 KB)
jpg.gif Otter magnum 2.jpg (37.7 KB)

Drewski Canuck
11-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Yep excellent choice, 2 speed trans, wide track, just toss the 2 smoke and insert a 4 stroke, and smooth riding A-Arms...Ski doo Expedition! ��

Even though Yamaha went 4 stroke the demand for the VK was such that they did a re design on the 2 stroke engine for emissions and re launched it.

But to each his own.

Drewski

Jamie Black R/T
11-04-2019, 10:33 AM
900 ace expedition has been an awesome ice fishing machine. Pull an otter cabin behind it and have another otter magnum tub that i pull in tandem for trips when we need more gear. About the same cargo capacity as a 6.5ft truck box without the shoveling, swearing and aggravation. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191104/7893bcea302d69f73b36a7780b66481f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191104/6a4f1fa4399a4a044b7f59b350781b0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Dweb
11-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Excellent set up , jealous !:sHa_shakeshout:

Tigrr
11-05-2019, 05:47 PM
This year again it is a Yamaha Venture. It has 500kms on it. Heavy but My go to. I try to pack everything on the sled. Frozen slush on the things behind are the pits. Stuff falling out on the trail to the lake is the pits. Most often I walk out to fish with everything on my back instead of dragging a toboggan.

https://i.postimg.cc/t4wBH6BH/IMG-3064.jpg (https://postimg.cc/0zGYYzgt)

fordtruckin
11-06-2019, 07:53 PM
New I would look at Skidoo with an ACE engine. Yes more complex but 1. way more fuel efficient, 2. last thousands of miles longer without dealing with rebuilds, 3. nice low end torque to move everything around you need. 4. quiet, 5. no 2 stroke smell (granted I love that smell), 6. Do not have to deal with premium fuel or 2 stroke oil you can use regular 87 octane and do an oil change like you would on a car. Downside is 1. no pull start but that can be negated by making sure the starting battery is always topped off (battery tender) and bringing a small booster pack if your worried about it. 2. heavier than a 2 stroke. IN the Skidoo category I would take a long hard look at the Expedition Sport in either 600 or 900 ACE. If your wanting lighter or narrower a Tundra LT in 600 ACE.

Used, well you can't go wrong with an older Skidoo Tundra, Yamaha Bravo or VK540. Those all being on the utility side of things. You could always look for a Polaris RMK Vertical Edge/Escape in 600 or 800 and have a sled that would do well getting you out to the ice, just be weary of overheating them in the spring and if your towing/low speeds, if you go 2 stroke route that isn't a fan cooled you'll want to get scratchers to help keep the sled cool.

Personally I just sold both my mountain sleds and will most likely save up over the winter to get an Expedition Sport 900 ACE next year for trail riding, hauling fire wood and ice fishing.