PDA

View Full Version : Buck lake?

fluxcore
07-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I thinking of headin past pigeon lake for a change and fish buck lake. Any numbers of big walleye or pike in there? Im getting tired of the 2-3lb pigeon eyes.

Jayball
07-16-2009, 10:49 AM
I have only fished Buck twice in the past two years. We have a place at pigoen so i hardly ever venture far. Pike numbers should be good there... not sure about wallys.

However... if you'll indulge me one of my best fishing experiences ever comes from buck. I was in waders walking the reed line at the park (just past the boat launch on the creek??) and fly fishing for pike. I was new to this concept (had only used spinning rigs in past) and had all new gear.

I was casting (throwing really) a big streamer about 20 ft out in front of me as i walked not really expecting much. I came upon upon a very small bay in the reeds.. about 10 ft across... so i dropped the fly in the middle about 10 in front of me... and holy cow... wham. A pike hit right in front me... scared the living hell out me. She hit as I was stripping line in... about 5ft in front of me. She was rather large... and within 3 minutes she had me into the backing on my reel. When i got her close... i realized i had no pliers or anything to get the big fly out.. and there was no way my fingers were going anywhere near those teeth.

When i got a good look at her... she was at least 30 - 36 inches. How heavy... i could only guess. I had no idea how i was going to land her. But as soon as she saw me... chest deep in the lake... she gave a big shake 2 ft in front of me and out came the hook... and poof she was gone.

Anyways that was my Buck lake pike story... and my first big pike on the fly.

So.... long story short... they are there.

kaleh01
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
I thinking of headin past pigeon lake for a change and fish buck lake. Any numbers of big walleye or pike in there? Im getting tired of the 2-3lb pigeon eyes.
If your looking for larger eye's Buck is not the place to go IMO. Sure there may be the odd decent one in there with 14-17 inchers being the average but, the odds are stacked against you more so than at Pigeon. Pike are all pretty average (3-7lbs), although I've never soley gone looking for them.

outbackpat
07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
I fished buck a couple wk ends ago, the eyes are on average 14-17", we caught a few pike, no real big ones. I was told that pine was a good place for bigger pike and eye's. I also heard that it was quite busy there on the wk ends.:)

Jayball
07-16-2009, 01:24 PM
outback is right for pine. Much fatter wallys there.