PDA

View Full Version : Need a PCOC for Trolling Motor in a Canoe!

DarkAisling
07-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Don't know if this has been discussed here or not.

I'm in the process of hunting down a canoe for us. I decided to check the regs, and it turns out you need a PCOC by September 15th if you're going to put an itty bitty trolling motor on your canoe. :huh:

I'm not going to get into how completely ridiculous I think that is.

I got my PCOC tonight through https://www.boaterexam.com/canada/. The system was pretty easy to use, but the exam had some really tough questions. I went with that site, even though it is more expensive, as you get unlimited re-tests and I figured I'd fail at least three times.

So, we got the WINs, the Fishing Licenses, and one PCOC . . . am I missing anything?

jusfloatin
07-16-2009, 12:15 AM
It would appear you are good for now but they will be back and there will be something new you will require.

Axcess fee or a rod tax.

The Fisherman Guy
07-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Darkaisling,

I run that exact setup, a flatback 14ft canoe with a 50lb thrust MinnKota transom mount trolling motor. I picked up the transducer kit from the Fishin' Hole so I could attach my fish finder transducer to the bottom of my motor, which I run off a seperate battery, to eliminate motor noise on my sonar.

I searched long and far for my canoe, eventually purchasing one from Northwoods canoes in Cochrane. The guy who owns the outfit is a really solid guy, and accomodated me perfectly. His site is here - http://www.northwoodscanoe.com/

I suggest this outfit, because I have been VERY happy with my boat. 75 lbs dry weight, and can sit three guys over 200lbs each plus gear, easily. Due to to the nature of the construction, it is the most stable canoe I have ever ridden in. Fantastic for lakes, fair for rivers. Take a look at what they have to offer, or check Kijiji.

I kitted it out with Sonar, Rod and Drink holders, extra seats with backrests, and a cooler :)

Good luck, if you have any questions regarding flatbacks, batteries, or motors I don't know everything, but I would be happy to pass along any lessons I have learned along the way!

TFG

bearbait
07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
i took mine at the trade fair in whitecourt and thought alot of it was useless...most questions were about ocean travel...they should have a cource just for lake users...alot of bouy questions and diver bouys and that sort of stuff...good thing u get free re writes!!

got the card in 10 days so not bad there!!

Slannesh
07-16-2009, 04:15 PM
I thought it was pretty stupid too since i've got a teeny trolling motor on my 10' dinghy, but i've got the license now and it's good for life so that's a plus.

The thing I thought was really dumb was I needed it this spring while anyone with a ski boat could keep ripping around till sept 15th without one. *shrug*

Cal
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Northwoods canoe makes some great gear, tryed to buy a demo model twice from them but the deal always got too complicated or took too long and I backed out. In my opinion, if you can only have one canoe and you want to do alot of different things with it ie. solo and tandom tripping, canoe camping, white water, hunting, fishing. You had better make it the Mad River Explorer. It is absolutely one of the toughest most versitile canoes ever made. You can get the ones made out of triple tough for around $700 and for 1500 you can upgrade to royalex which is lighter and stronger. Old Town makes some pretty nice models as well. If you just want to use it for fishing the design doesnt matter as much but god do I hate those canadian tire abominations. If you ever come up slave lake way I've got a couple spare canoes kicking around you could use but I'd have a hard time parting with them.

DarkAisling
07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I've had three deals on canoes fall through this week, so I looked at the North Woods website . . . and found the perfect canoe.

I did have a look at the Mad River Explorer . . . but I'm so hooked on the North Woods one I couldn't really appreciate it.

Here's what I'm gonna try now:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=37276

Yes, I'm the type of girl who would rather have a canoe than a diamond :D