PDA

View Full Version : Ion auger sale price

Fisherdan
11-15-2019, 03:07 AM
Canadian tire has the 8” ion x “on sale” for $770... That is still a heck of a lot of dough. I’d love one, but can’t justify spending over 800 bones after tax...

What do you fellas reckon? Black Fridays coming up... does the price on these things ever drop much?

-JR-
11-15-2019, 05:11 AM
The sad part is, in about 4 years you will have a hard time selling it with week batteries. A gas unit will hold its value more .

yoteblaster
11-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Going on 5 years with the same battery. I don’t believe they will ever be hard to sell. Will NEVER go back to gas again. Used the same gas auger for 24 years but for me electric is the only way to go

SamSteele
11-15-2019, 11:30 AM
What do you fellas reckon? Black Fridays coming up... does the price on these things ever drop much?

My experience is not much more than you are seeing now. Occasionally they will include an extra battery, which is pretty helpful. Cabela's recently did that with the Strikemaster 40V Lithium.

I switched to the Strikemaster 40V Lithium last year and it has been a phenomenal unit for me. I was running a gas Strikemaster Mag 2000 (8" flight) for the past 20 years. The Mag 2000 still runs well, but the electric is much more convenient.

I'll be selling the Mag 2000 for pretty cheap on here pretty soon. Heading out of the country for a week tomorrow and planned to list it when I returned.

Alberta Bigbore
11-15-2019, 08:56 PM
Ive had the original ION.. ive had the ION X . Got rid of them both and going in morning to buy a 4 stroke gas auger. No electrics for me.

cujo1969
11-15-2019, 10:33 PM
Looked at getting a spare battery holy **** $279 for the 5ah battery. Should maybe sell auger and buy a gas one.

Fisherdan
11-29-2019, 09:20 PM
Well, the electric augers are simply out of my budget... and I don’t really want to mess around with a gas one... so going to try something different...

Have an 8” fin-bore iii manual auger on order.
Picked up a dewalt hammer drill with a couple 5ah batteries for a good deal.
Asking Santa for a clam auger conversion plate.

My rationale is this:

1. It’s a lot cheaper than an electric auger.
2. The hammer drill, will for sure come in handy around the house at some point.
3. All parts are easily replaceable if needed.

We’ll see how the setup works... obviously I’m hoping really well. Will see after Christmas...

Dweb
11-29-2019, 09:22 PM
It'll work perfectly fine

It's a great set up

Pretty much what i use

Was going through 36" two winters ago at calling lake like it was nothing

Fisherdan
12-27-2019, 09:50 PM
Have an 8” fin-bore iii manual auger on order.
Picked up a dewalt hammer drill with a couple 5ah batteries for a good deal.
Asking Santa for a clam auger conversion plate.

We’ll see how the setup works... obviously I’m hoping really well. Will see after Christmas...

Update: Tried it out today, and was more than impressed. Punched holes through the ice like it was nothing. Very happy with the entire setup!

sns2
12-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Ive had the original ION.. ive had the ION X . Got rid of them both and going in morning to buy a 4 stroke gas auger. No electrics for me.

How come bud?

Hunter4ever12
12-28-2019, 01:57 PM
Going on 5 years with the same battery. I don’t believe they will ever be hard to sell. Will NEVER go back to gas again. Used the same gas auger for 24 years but for me electric is the only way to go

Same here on the same battery after 4 years,have never had an issue yet with the unit or battery. Cold or freezing cold it cuts ice like a dream. Have had quite a few people ask to borrow it because there gas augers wouldn’t run and everyone has came back and said “I need to pick one of these up”. I don’t even take my battery inside my hut with me,just sites on the ice in the auger.

bloom
12-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Same here on the same battery after 4 years,have never had an issue yet with the unit or battery. Cold or freezing cold it cuts ice like a dream. Have had quite a few people ask to borrow it because there gas augers wouldn’t run and everyone has came back and said “I need to pick one of these up”. I don’t even take my battery inside my hut with me,just sites on the ice in the auger.

Same here. I bought one the second year they came out, and still on first battery with no signs of dying. Best piece of ice fishing equipment I've bought. My buddies don't ever bring there gas augers anymore when we go out, and even when I can't go, they sometimes swing by to use mine.

PerchBuster
12-28-2019, 03:53 PM
Me too, couldn’t be happier with my IonX Electric, batteries don’t die out much at all even over long offseason periods of no use if stored well. Reliable as heck, always starts, runs and cuts. Drills itself right in and thru the ice on sharp blades, with little to no effort by the operator. Young boy or girl could use it. I bought the spare battery couple years ago before the price went up so much and glad I did. No carb repairs, broken pull cords, flooding, tune ups, or difficult cold starts to deal with. It’s always ready to go at the push of a button. Waaaay better than all the eskimos, husqavarna, jiffy’s I’ve had over the years put together, and that’s a fact! A true pleasure to use when running and gunning. Can’t imagine having to be pulling on a gasser all day, and all the cursing I’d be doing, nowadays with a gas unit. I’ve reefed my guts out a gut full over the years on those gas augers and before that on manual ones for many years as a kid. I Figure whatever it could possibly cost me in batteries along the way now, which is so far only 1 spare still going strong, I save in spades when adding up fuel, oil, environment, body wear and tear, greater usability such as inside a shack with no fumes and reverse feature to help flush the slush. No, I definitely saw the light too a couple years back before the Prices shot up and the tariffs came in to play. Got that IonX for like $650+tax that first year it came out. She’s electric from here on out for me boys all the way when it comes to augers. I love being 30 holes in to my day and not even breaking a sweat yet. Saves up my energy to outsmart and put the smack down on my favourite striped quarry if you know what I mean. :happy0034:

old dog
12-28-2019, 04:25 PM
I had a jiffy and a strikemaster gas augers. When I bought my electric strikemaster I sold my jiffy because both the strikemaster have the same auger and blades. I love the combo and will never badmouth my gas auger but I do use the electric a lot more. I was out with 7 people the other day. Drilled lots of holes and the battery never moved one bar. I have had it for 3 seasons now.

mlee
12-30-2019, 12:42 PM
I picked up a 10" strikemaster on Saturday.....cabelas still has the spare battery deal on so just over $800 tax in with 2 batteries. I punched about 40 holes with it yesterday and as of now no way would I ever think of going back to gas (I have a good working jiffy 8"). By the end of the day I was laughing to myself every time I heard a gas auger fire up on the lake.
Now in 5 or 6 years if it's still performing well then I'd say it's a no brainer choice.

Duramaximos
12-30-2019, 05:06 PM
Ion X owner here. Second season with it and I've never had the battery drop below the full level. Full disclosure I have never drilled more than 25 holes in a day.

Works flawlessly. Bailed out a couple fishermen this weekend when they couldn't get their gasser to start for 15 minutes of pulling and cussing. Who knows, they may have started it eventually, but what a pain!

I'm easily frustrated by tools that don't work exactly when I need them too, so gas augers are a no go for me.

I didnt notice that the prices shot up recently. Glad I bought when I did. At today's prices I'd be looking closely at a hammer drill - auger combo.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

DOGFISH
12-30-2019, 06:43 PM
Everyone I take ice fishing is impressed by the Trophy Strike 120v 8". On my second year and cuts and looks like new. Will not go back to gas. If I had to I would go propane first.