PDA

View Full Version : Fishing big island Hawaii recommendation

South west trappin RG
11-23-2019, 06:28 AM
Any one have a good recommendation on fishing the big island mid February. Charters that actually put you on fish deep sea, bottom fishing, spear fishing an diy shore fishing. Any first hand experiences would be great to here. Taking a once in a lifetime trip for two weeks with my wife an kids.

honker_clonker
11-23-2019, 08:41 AM
If you are trying to google fishing in Hawaii use the word whipping instead of fishing. The Hawaiian folk call casting whipping so that will get you a lot more search hits. Also you can YouTube ‘Mark White Lures’, Mark is an islander who makes ceramic top water plugs and has many chest cam Videos of himself fishing the islands which should show you the general technique for surface fishing GT.

7-8’ rod, 3000/4000 size reel, 20 lb braid and a Carolina rig with 1 oz egg sinker and a 1-2” grub tail on a single hook is a common shore fishing setup. Find some sand flats and bomb it out. Let it hit the bottom and pop it back to shore. The sinker makes little sand puffs and e grub goes through it. Works pretty good. Also tiny hooks and bread will catch you some colourful reef fish.

raw outdoors
11-23-2019, 09:08 AM
I took all my stuff, as I always do when I travel. Let me tell you the spin fishing gear never left the hotel room. The spear fishing was way to much fun a spent hours and hours of every day in the water free diving and spearing. Early morning shoot orange tang fish cut it up raw on the beach wasabi and soya breakfast done ✅. Hang on the beach with the wife. Back in the water shoot a unicorn fish sushi it up for lunch ✅. Hang with the wife a bit more, snorkel and swim. Back in the water with the gun shoot some goat fish to roast up for supper. Then repeat that for a week. So much fun so many awesome experiences under the water. Download the regs in colour lots of fish are regulated look very similar in black and white regs but are totally different colours underwater.

Just buy yourself a spear gun. Small investment that you will have forever if you want to spend hours in the water a 3.5-5.5 mm wetsuit is recommended but not needed. The tough part about diving are dive weights. I carried mine on board the plane with me but it can be a debate at security.

Ps big unicorn fish Make an awesome euro mount. It’s not hard to bake the head in tinfoil then pick clean. Boil it in salt water for 10 minutes and dry it in the shade for a couple days with the jaw held open with a toothpick. Wish I could show you mine but it tragically got crushed when I was unpacking.

gdbugs
11-27-2019, 11:07 AM
Here's a link to the guy we used. I wouldn't do anything less than a full day, otherwise you don't get out far enough to the good spots. Caught blue marlin, tuna, and mahi mahi. I've deep sea fished all over Mexico, Antigua and Hawaii, and this was the best trip I've ever had. We fished in mid December. Go early in your trip as you'll have enough fish for 2 weeks! He's one of the few guides that starts by fishing for live bait.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g60872-d3592130-Reviews-Cherry_Pit_Sportfishing-Kailua_Kona_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

South west trappin RG
11-29-2019, 11:16 AM
Thanks what time of the year not sure if mid February is a good time or not