PDA

View Full Version : Displaying Trophy Fish

Burbot Sherbet
11-26-2019, 10:52 PM
Do you folks get prints of your big fish pictures and put them up around the house? Have you gone the taxidermy route, and if so, does the fish live above the mantle?

I’ve been thinking about why I try and snap a good picture when I pull a decent fish through the ice; I never get them printed and it keeps me from exaggerating their size when I brag about it later!

Brandonkop
11-27-2019, 12:30 AM
Do you folks get prints of your big fish pictures and put them up around the house? Have you gone the taxidermy route, and if so, does the fish live above the mantle?

I’ve been thinking about why I try and snap a good picture when I pull a decent fish through the ice; I never get them printed and it keeps me from exaggerating their size when I brag about it later!Instagram.... pic or it didnt happen.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Smoky buck
11-27-2019, 05:57 AM
I don’t take pics often but often regret it. I keep telling myself I am going to but I get distracted by fishing

No replicas or taxidermied fish or fish pics on my walls

Sledin
11-27-2019, 06:33 AM
Once a year my wife uploads my phone pictures to the laptop and makes a year end family highlights book.

Fish look best by the water not on the wall in my opinion, it’s nice for outdoors decor but not really a centre piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Flyguy
11-27-2019, 08:29 AM
Years ago I watched a certain newspaper columnist catch a trout, haul it over to an island in his net, set up his camera to take a selfie, and then release the trout. No picture, no story I guess.

pinelakeperch
11-27-2019, 08:39 AM
I have a replica walleye and smallmouth bass on my wall in my mancave. There's also a skinned wolf up there. No pictures, but I'm not opposed to the idea. I once saw this company that did life sized prints of trophy fish. I can't seem to find them; they were featured in In-Fisherman or Outdoor Canada a few years back.

Burbot Sherbet
11-27-2019, 10:00 AM
For better or for worse I never got on any of the big social media sites, so the pictures pretty much stay on my phone. Also I feel like if I start decorating with fishing in mind, my house will start to look like this. It’s a slippery slope!

BigPapaBear
11-27-2019, 11:00 AM
I have a beautiful 50 lbs Chinook that Advance Taxidermy did and we canned all the meat. To me it is a once in a lifetime piece of art above the fire place that always generates questions and discussions. It is a mold of the actual fish so it will never deteriorate. Now a days you just need the measurements and a picture and you can have a mount if wanted and still release the fish. Caught it with my 3 sons, so I always smile when I see it. :)

mapleleafman3
11-27-2019, 02:47 PM
I have a few pics that are in the rotation on a digital picture frame (along with other non-fishing photos). And I make some posts to Instagram with fish pics.

Haven't got any taxidermy, not yet anyway.

Ever heard of Gyotaku? Rice paper printing. They look kinda cool. Not sure it would work well on trout though.

Bushmaster
11-27-2019, 03:00 PM
I have a 26 lb. Gerrard rainbow I caught in Kootenay Lake....many years ago.

https://i.imgur.com/dAYuCXp.jpg

Mount was done by Don Petrician.

Burbot Sherbet
11-27-2019, 03:19 PM
I have a few pics that are in the rotation on a digital picture frame (along with other non-fishing photos). And I make some posts to Instagram with fish pics.

Haven't got any taxidermy, not yet anyway.

Ever heard of Gyotaku? Rice paper printing. They look kinda cool. Not sure it would work well on trout though.

I just checked out Gyotaku and I am enthralled! I am absolutely going to do this with the next good looking Burb I catch! Hopefully the slime doesn’t make too much difference...

deschambault
11-28-2019, 06:35 PM
I have had my marlin for over 30 years and a few moves across borders. It wouldn't be the same without her.

thumper
11-28-2019, 07:57 PM
Lately I've taken to photographing trout while they're in the net, and concentrating on capturing their colour and patterns more than size. If I can, I'll release them with minimal handling and without removing them from the water. My photos are a little artsier than my old 'grip & grin' shots!

I also attempt to photograph them with the fly used still hooked in their mouths. Failing that, I'll photograph the successful fly on my knee. That way, when I later review the photos on my computer, I can see when I was at a specific lake in the past, and what was successful. There's no other way I can remember what fly I successfully used last, and a journal doesn't help much because I can never remember the names of the different flies I use!
Some very exceptional fish's photos have made it to my wall (like my late son with his big pike, and a buddy and I with our tag-team 10ft sturgeon !)

Burbot Sherbet
11-28-2019, 09:44 PM
I really like the combination of taking artsy fish photos and the utility of recording the lure/lake/time of year to consult later. Feels less drastic than not taking photos at all and gives a purpose to keeping them; if I capture something with good composition it might even light a fire under me to print and frame it!

wolfman403
11-29-2019, 12:05 PM
Here’s my 25 lb from rolling hills. Tried so hard to release her but she didn’t make it. Actually teared up a little.

BigPapaBear
11-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Great looking mount! :)

PerchBuster
11-29-2019, 07:03 PM
Striped Beauties!

Burbot Sherbet
11-29-2019, 07:26 PM
Striped Beauties!

Those are some lovely perch!!

Speckle55
11-29-2019, 09:00 PM