PDA

View Full Version : Productive ice fishing lakes within 90 min of Calgary?

tirebob
12-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Hey all,

Looking to pursue hard water fishing this year in earnest. I have only ever tried Ghost lake and got skunked. I am not looking for anyone's specific fishing holes (unless you privately feel like sharing Hahaha!) but really more lakes that are relatively productive within an hour and a bit of the city. I like to fish for pretty much anything other than stocked trout lakes (prefer stream fishing for trout) so the usual perch, walleye, pike, whitefish etc. Sorry this is such a generic post.

Thanks for any input!

Bob

Jjolg123
12-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Chestermere and eagle are two I enjoy, then going south Lake Mcgregor

tirebob
12-03-2019, 12:28 PM
I was thinking McGregor... Wasn't sure how productive it is in winter but I should think it alright yeah?

AndrewM
12-03-2019, 12:39 PM
What about north to Burnstick? You shouldn't be too far from there.

Jjolg123
12-03-2019, 12:58 PM
I was thinking McGregor... Wasn't sure how productive it is in winter but I should think it alright yeah?

I find it enjoyable for the species you mentioned, you also have traverse etc all close by. I use to hit Mcgregor in the morning and then Pine coulee for the night but that was a few years back and i have no idea what is going on there now with the trout

tirebob
12-03-2019, 01:55 PM
What about north to Burnstick? You shouldn't be too far from there.
Burnstick is on the list, you bet!

I find it enjoyable for the species you mentioned, you also have traverse etc all close by. I use to hit Mcgregor in the morning and then Pine coulee for the night but that was a few years back and i have no idea what is going on there now with the trout I am not against trout fishing... I just don't want to go to one of those stock only ponds where every fish is the same size and species. Just kinda dull for me.