PDA

View Full Version : Sask Fishing

tbiddy
07-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey Guys;

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a good place to go fishing in Saskatchewan. There will be a group coming from Edmonton, a group from Calgary and a group from just outside of Saskatoon. Last year we ended up going to Chitek Lake. The fishing was decent but nothing outstanding. Loon Lake and Dore Lake are on the radar and we are happy going back to Chitek if it comes down to that. We are just looking for a few suggestions. There will be about 8-12 of us so we are looking for something with decent accommodations and boat rentals. We will have 1 boat but will need 1 or 2 more. Tobin was brought up but some of the guys don't want to do that drive from Calgary. We are planning it for the Sept long weekend. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Geezle
07-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Look into the Meadow Lake provincial park. Beautiful area and great fishing. 20ish lakes in the park, some with camping, others without. Lots of fishing optons. I'm not sure about boat rentals though...maybe at Kimball lake but it's been a while since I've been out there.

Beazer
07-19-2009, 03:59 AM
Jaan Lake. Insane pike fishing. But september may be different.

Candle Lake is nice. On and off during my tenure but when the bite is on expect big numbers especially in the 2lb range(depending how deep you go)

Waskesiu Regional Park is nice but their is alot of real estate their. One spot in particular which I unfortunately cannot recall the name takes about a day to get to, so it's kinda an overnight thing. My grandparents had the best fishing of their lives there.

You could stay in Prince Albert and drive to these places. Rent your boat, and it's only about an 8hr drive. Saskatoon is only an hour south too!

madman
07-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Keeley Lake north of Meadow Lake 45 minutes. Walleye fishing has been spectacular all year, 2-6lbs and catch 40-80 in a day. They have cabins and boat rentals along with a licensed bar. Good times.

ACM
07-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Head north of La Ronge as anythin g south is simply tourist fishing!!!
Otter is at mile 50 and offers spectacular walleye fishing in river and lake as well as decent notherens and some trout. Just take it easy on the lake as its a bit rocky but the outfitters are great and priced well. Anything North of there is spectacular- Reindeer is fabulous- and Wollaston is simply the best!!! Both have great outfitersw or do it yourself options.

BigIrv
07-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I just came back from Meadow Lake Provincial Park. Water levels are great this year. Fishing was good at First and Second Mustus lakes. Boat rentals are available on Rusty, First and Second Mustus, Kimball, Greig, Flotten, Waterhen, Lac Des Isle, and probably some others I don't know about. This is one of the best provincial parks in Western Canada. You can try a different lake every afternoon. They have everything from nice to rustic cabins and full service to basic campsites. Fishing is usually good here, everything from Pike, Walleye, Perch, Whitefish, Lake Trout, and even a couple of trout streams and lakes.

bsnyder
07-20-2009, 09:09 PM
:wave:Lac De Isles is a beutiful lake, just came from a tourny there, Walleye a little slow but lots of perch and pike.:)just dont stay at northern cross resort, place is falling apart, never cleaned the bathrooms and showers in over a week, no TP, roads not fit for a 4x4:mad:owner a real jerkoff:mad2:never will give him my money again:mad3:

Geezle
07-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Well I just got back from my trip to Meadow Lake...sadly I didn't have a chance to get out to the park, but I did hear that the first and second mustus' were good in general, Flotten had a lot of walleye hitting, Kimball was slow for walleye but lots of Pike. I just got this from a couple random people I was chatting with out there, so I'm not sure how reliable it is. I guess the past while the weather hasn't been so great out there (was amazing this weekend) so my uncle and cousin haven't had a chance to get out there much to see what's going on.

Hope this helps a little, and I hope you have a great trip! :wave:

tbiddy
07-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I talked to the boys and we have cabins booked at Waterhen. 12 of us headed up Sept Long. going to be a blast.

jjstar
07-28-2009, 11:32 AM
We were just out on Lac des isles. Was slow due to sooo much bait. We found out afterwards that for the walleye bring some leeches. Otherwise was fun lake. Saw a few big pike too but they were just cruising by darn it. So bring a few different baits if you are going for some walleye.

350 mag
07-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Even when you use leeches on Lac des Isles the Walleye bite is very slow.

This lake is a big mystery to me.

I am not sure if it is the abundance of baitfish vs. the actually Walleye numbers.

The pleasure boating?

Fishing pressure?

The Walleye fishing has been slow on this lake since I started going there 10 years ago.

I think if someone were granted a license to commercial fish some of the shiners out of the lake the Walleye fishing would pick up?

The lake has been stocked with Walleye since 2002.

http://www.saskfishinglakes.ca/cgi-bin/pub/display_waterbody.cgi?waterbody_id=158

Other lakes like Chitek Lake that have seen stocking had their Walleye numbers explode. Walleye fishing on Chitek has been GREAT for last 8-10 years. They also closed Indian Bay(spawning area) all year.

We usually end up getting frustrated with the Walleye fishing on Lac Des Isles so we end up going to Mistohay.