PDA

View Full Version : Strike Master 40V Auger

Hartly
12-08-2019, 10:17 PM
I was fishing today at Pigeon with a friend that had just bought the new Strike Master 40V electric auger. It seemed like when we were drilling holes in approx 9-10 inches of ice the auger out of the blue would just stop. We would have to let go of the deadman switch and start button. Then when we repressed the deadman switch and pressed the start button it would work. To any one that has one of these augers. Is that normal? He’s only had it for three weeks. But today was the first time he’s ever tried it. Thanks in advance guys. I suggested he exchange it.

mickeyjim
12-08-2019, 10:50 PM
Mine does it too. Has a tough time getting through the last bit of ice.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Brandonkop
12-08-2019, 10:53 PM
It's a safety mechanism so it doesn't rip your arms off when the blade gets jammed in the ice. Sucks for layered ice. Gas is still the way to go for heavily layered ice. We took mine to cascade and drilling through 3 to 4 layers was an absolute pain indeed. Nothing wrong, they're all made that way. Buddies Ion I used does the same thing.

SNAPFisher
12-09-2019, 11:59 AM
I was fishing today at Pigeon with a friend that had just bought the new Strike Master 40V electric auger. It seemed like when we were drilling holes in approx 9-10 inches of ice the auger out of the blue would just stop. We would have to let go of the deadman switch and start button. Then when we repressed the deadman switch and pressed the start button it would work. To any one that has one of these augers. Is that normal? He’s only had it for three weeks. But today was the first time he’s ever tried it. Thanks in advance guys. I suggested he exchange it.

I might have that happen to me 1 in 10 holes I drill. Or less. The straighter you drill the better. I'm pretty practiced with the auger now. And, if does happen. Simply raise, hit the trigger and drill through 2nd try. Quick and easy.

old dog
12-09-2019, 06:54 PM
It's a safety mechanism so it doesn't rip your arms off when the blade gets jammed in the ice. Sucks for layered ice. Gas is still the way to go for heavily layered ice. We took mine to cascade and drilling through 3 to 4 layers was an absolute pain indeed. Nothing wrong, they're all made that way. Buddies Ion I used does the same thing.

X2 I have the same unit along with a gas strikemaster and believe me it’s better than getting your arms ripped off. Lol. I found with both auger that if u know approximately how deep the ice is just pull back on the unit a bit and all is good.

Brandonkop
12-09-2019, 08:51 PM
X2 I have the same unit along with a gas strikemaster and believe me it’s better than getting your arms ripped off. Lol. I found with both auger that if u know approximately how deep the ice is just pull back on the unit a bit and all is good.Yup, that is the key, take some of the pressure off when punching through the last bit!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Hartly
12-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I called StrikeMaster for the heck of it. They suggested exchanging the auger. They were saying if the auger cork screws itself it will stop automatically. But if it stops half way drilling a hole it shouldn’t do that. They did suggest as you are drilling and feel your coming to the bottom of the hole before breaking through was to pull back a bit as a few of you have suggested. I went to Cabelas today and exchanged the auger. I’m going out to Wabamun on Saturday. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks again for everyones input.