PDA

View Full Version : A*****E campers at Fawcett get bear killed

stuartmcgrandle
07-19-2009, 09:18 AM
went for my usual saturday fishing trip with family and Crestliner fishhawk(yes I don't care if you know who I am)to the north country, this time to Fawcett lake. Had a good time with family, so-so day of fishing(too hot) but had my day ruined when I found out that F&W had to shoot/kill 1 of 2 young black bears that were in the campground because of:
1. campers left dog food open when bears were known to be in area
2. other campers left cooler of food on picnic table when bears known in area
3. a third camping party left meat on the barbecue!

the bear gets shot and campers get to continue living stupid white trash-redneck-hillbilly-huh who me life, awesome and great success at another privatized campground in Alberta:mad3::mad2::mad3::mad2::mad3::mad2::mad3:: mad2::mad3::mad2:

pogo
07-19-2009, 09:31 AM
What's the big deal? Come bear season, people will be doing all three of those things on purpose.

Grizzly Adams
07-19-2009, 09:48 AM
What's the big deal? Come bear season, people will be doing all three of those things on purpose.

Well, for one thing, somebody could have been killed over this.
Grizz

DarkAisling
07-19-2009, 10:16 AM
That's what upsets me the most about this, Grizz.

These morons could have gotten someone's kid dragged off by a bear. I didn't actually realize that people were that stupid :( It makes me really nervous.

ctd
07-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Really where do you suppose they store their food a mile away? Besides not being the most smart in leaving food on the BBQ or leaving dog food out. When we venture out into wildlife we take a risk no matter what. No matter where you have your food it will attract bears and other wildlife towards your camp ground. That is a reality of being in the back country.

Reading all info on storing your food properly I have to wonder why don't they ban fresh food and make it mandatory for canned food only. This would solve lots of issues.
We venture into Bear Country we take the risk. some times that risk is the Bear gets destroyed. Other times we get destroyed by the Bear. Thats why it is a risk.
Next time walk on over there and make some suggestions as to how they should store their food so as to not attract Bears and other wildlife.

I have yet to find away that does not attract them. I also carry a shotgun just in case one does show up.

elkhunter11
07-19-2009, 10:37 AM

So how many people intentionally bait bears to attract them to campgrounds inhabited by families,and therefore endanger the safety of those families?:rolleyes:

DarkAisling
07-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Really where do you suppose they store their food a mile away?

In the car . . . at the very least. Preferably double bagged inside of a cooler, and then left in the car. Pretty simple, easy to access, and the best solution you're going to get in a private campground. I've never seen a private campground that has bear-proof food lockers, but if those are available they should be utilized.

Grizzly Adams
07-19-2009, 11:01 AM
In the car . . . at the very least. Preferably double bagged inside of a cooler, and then left in the car. Pretty simple, easy to access, and the best solution you're going to get in a private campground. I've never seen a private campground that has bear-proof food lockers, but if those are available they should be utilized.

I was up Sheep Creek, last Saturday. Hundred yards down the road from some tent campers, was a big pile of Grizz poo. I spotted the bear in a high meadow, maybe a thousand feet, above the road. Coming back, I stopped to give these guys a heads up, but nobody was around. Food and cooler left by the fire. As for the in car storage, the back door, "window" of the Suburban was a sheet of plastic.:lol:
Grizz

ABDUKNUT
07-19-2009, 11:23 AM
the bear gets shot and campers get to continue living stupid white trash-redneck-hillbilly-huh who me life, awesome and great success at another privatized campground in Alberta:mad3::mad2::mad3::mad2::mad3::mad2::mad3:: mad2::mad3::mad2:

Yeah, just another example of the reckless 'Weekend Warrior' and his apathetic attitudes. The campers were likely too busy tearing up a creek on their quads, or too drunk or stoned to care, about the food that littered their site.

duffy4
07-19-2009, 12:29 PM
(www.bearsmartalberta.com)

We live in a different world now. There are getting to be more people everywhere. And that means more "contact" with bears. If we want to keep bears aropund and coexiste with them we need to start doing things differently. That is what "Bear Smart" is about.

captain
07-19-2009, 01:00 PM
nature has a way of cleaning the gene pool,

Justagirl
07-19-2009, 01:28 PM
nature has a way of cleaning the gene pool,

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. However, you probably wouldn't feel that way if someone else's actions caused a bear to attack your family while camping. Just like drinking and driving.. if they just killed themselves it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is usually they walk away unscathed, and innocent people are the ones to suffer the consequences...

deanmc
07-19-2009, 01:49 PM
So how many people intentionally bait bears to attract them to campgrounds inhabited by families,and therefore endanger the safety of those families?:rolleyes:

The original post did not mention any concern for families or children.... Only the bears.

went for my usual saturday fishing trip with family and Crestliner fishhawk(yes I don't care if you know who I am)to the north country, this time to Fawcett lake. Had a good time with family, so-so day of fishing(too hot) but had my day ruined when I found out that F&W had to shoot/kill 1 of 2 young black bears that were in the campground because of:

I agree that leaving food out is a big problem. Many people are not stupid, just ignorant of wildlife. Many people staying in campsites are city folk that may have never seen a bear (just Franklins friend). I am sure they are not all redneck hillbilly's though.
I stayed at a campgound near Banff that had very good bear aware info and handouts. We were warned for leaving a clean tablecloth out on the table and the group beside were booted for throwing eggshells in their fire. It was a great place to stay. But it was in a national park so at that time I guess it was ran by the liberal gov't as opposed to a private redneck hillbilly operation. Perhaps that was the difference??

gramps73
07-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Yes i get where you guys and gals are coming from but would you rather them kill someone. The more camping the encounters with bears and other wildlife for that matter. Sad but glad the bear not some kid..
Is there not a pretty big fine for not storing food?
gramps

MountainTi
07-19-2009, 01:53 PM
I was up Sheep Creek, last Saturday. Hundred yards down the road from some tent campers, was a big pile of Grizz poo. I spotted the bear in a high meadow, maybe a thousand feet, above the road. Grizz

I'm surprised you only saw one while up there, can't believe how many are up in there these days. :)

moosehunter3-0
07-19-2009, 02:12 PM
remember to reinforce the door hinges and close your window :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBnGe9HDGBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QWjNWqm5c8&NR=1

hayseed
07-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I agree with deanmc, just finished up some vacation time coming thru Kananaskis country, stayed at 2 different campgrounds for multiple nights.

Some people... I think.. just do not know , or realize that, yes.. there are bears around. I seen bbq's, coolers, garbage bags set up, all kinds of thing that a hungry critter would love to get at. And there are bear in area signs everywhere.

Went on a couple of hikes, and yes, they are around, as the scat sign was quite evident. But people.. ( who obviously have no clue.. ) still look at me funny, or roll their eyes when I'm packin' a canister af bear spray to go fishin', or hikin'....:huh:... I really dont get it..

Nationwide
07-19-2009, 05:54 PM

I would bet these so called bears that were so innocently shot were there before but this time finally caught sad sure but like most have stated they could have kill someone, missed buy some ok:) but not from me kudos to the f/w for a swift and definite solution .

Sorry stuartmcgrandle in this case i dont feel your compassion

pogo
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Well, for one thing, somebody could have been killed over this.
Grizz

Well, I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles. :innocent:

mooseknuckle
07-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Myself and a friend were camping up at cat lake near squamish BC a while back and the "private"campground did have food cache's which we used. Bears still came around and infact a bear was shot in our presence. We took every precation it'snot just food that attracts these animals. Was it our fault the bear was killed? Maybe we should ban camping all together? It's gonna happen. Survival of the fittest I say.

elkfriend
07-20-2009, 12:22 PM
I suppose that's one way of looking at it. However, you probably wouldn't feel that way if someone else's actions caused a bear to attack your family while camping. Just like drinking and driving.. if they just killed themselves it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is usually they walk away unscathed, and innocent people are the ones to suffer the consequences...

X2

I also dare to speculate that a lot of "campers", and "outdoor oriented urban dwellers" do not really believe that there are really bears out there, because they do not see a lot of them or if they do, they did not get hurt, so the bears must be harmless...and if thats the case, then why going through the extra effort to put food away? Is so easy to just dismiss it with a lapidar "THERE ARE NO BEARS IN THIS AREA" :huh:

jaylow?
07-20-2009, 11:23 PM

i guess someone forgot to tell the bears the difference between bait food and food food. the nerve!:rolleyes:

CNP
07-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Not every camper is safe inside their RV every night. Tenters, while in the minority these days DO NOT APPRECIATE the trailer-trash community leaving DOG FOOD or leftovers or garbage outside at night..or anytime for that matter. That's just inconsiderate, careless, rude and trashy.

jumbo-mc
07-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Went camping a couple weeks ago with the family in bear country, which I have done many time before. There were a couple of mature bears in the area and rumor was they were not shy of humans one little bit.
Rumors are rumors until you see it for yourself.
We were rolling some wood in the campfire about 4 in the afternoon when a very healthy, adult black bear (boar) came strolling through within about 20 feet. The wife and kid (3 years old), stood up and eased toward the trailer, which should have been a cue for the bear to make a mile. Right? Wrong. He kept coming. People and bears can coexist but when they get this type of personality it is only a matter of time unil someone dies no matter how cautious you or your neighbors are. The wife is bear smart. If she had run, who knows what woud have happened.
Bear smart is not enough when dealing with "such" bears. When it boils down to Whinnie or the family (or someone elses family), Whinnie loses.

jumbo-mc
07-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Went camping a couple weeks ago with the family in bear country, which I have done many time before. There were a couple of mature bears in the area and rumor was they were not shy of humans one little bit.
Rumors are rumors until you see it for yourself.
We were rolling some wood in the campfire about 4 in the afternoon when a very healthy, adult black bear (boar) came strolling through within about 20 feet. The wife and kid (3 years old), stood up and eased toward the trailer, which should have been a cue for the bear to make a mile. Right? Wrong. He kept coming. People and bears can coexist but when they get this type of personality it is only a matter of time unil someone dies no matter how cautious you or your neighbors are. The wife is bear smart. If she had run, who knows what woud have happened.
Bear smart is not enough when dealing with "such" bears. When it boils down to Whinnie or the family (or someone elses family), Whinnie loses.

Iskra
07-23-2009, 01:34 AM
When hillbillies get all "problem" bears killed, when hillbillies get creek beds destroyed with their ATVs, I will sell my boat and trailer and "camp" in my backyard by the fire pit and mature trees with flush toilet and hot shower near. Bear for being at the campground, thanks to ignorant hillbillies, gets shot, drunk driver for being on the road gets probation.

dmckay
07-23-2009, 09:15 AM
People leaving their dog food out or food on the table comes down to be either uninformed or laziness. It only takes a minute to put everything in the car / truck trunk. We were camping for a week in BC recently and I saw countless people say "We'll ony be gone to the beach for awhile", or "there's no bears around here".