PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight Perch Setup

HowSwedeItIs
12-12-2019, 10:38 PM
In my quest to make 2019/20 the year I finally crack the code of Perch fishing, I took the plunge and got a 23" 13 fishing tickle stick (in ultralight) as well as a 13 fishing ghost free fall reel.

What line should I be looking to put on it? Do people use fluoro leaders with a swivel or just 2 lb test fluoro/mono line?

Will be fishing tungsten jigs and very small lures of course

HuyFishin
12-12-2019, 10:51 PM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/58988?productVariantId=178984&gclid=CjwKCAiA58fvBRAzEiwAQW-hzYWPQXcWYQTS-TxNy85ZDcfjr9nox1iX9HhpDm_TV6ZFviLX5a-HyBoCnwsQAvD_BwEs

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/28542?productVariantId=101198&gclid=CjwKCAiA58fvBRAzEiwAQW-hzZPtX5-fNua3UeBjgtInaYZ3KsU9isV0myLtCEAqDYIzyV7cc5tmBhoCf-EQAvD_BwE

Both of these will work, I prefer the pline floroclear cuz I can fish inside and outside of a shack in freezing temperatures.

The braid is only good in a shack. It's super thin, sensitive and zero stretch. You will feel everything.

StringTheory
12-13-2019, 09:20 AM
I have been looking for that new Sufix advance monofilament line but haven't found it yet. It's supposed to have the sensitivity of fluorocarbon but be more supple. I've always had a problem with fluorocarbon balling up and making a big mess on my winter spinning reels(not inline), lots of line memory in the cold I think.

Some pro's, like Gord Pyzer, use a combination of braid and fluoro. They fill their reels with braid and then add 20-30 ft of fluoro to the end with uni knots. Cheaper to change the leader out every year than respooling the whole thing.

I would caution against 2 lb line unless you don't mind losing some jigs to toothy predators. I've successfully landed pike on 4lb mono (my current setup for perch) but can't say the same for 2lb test mono. Although fluoro would have more abrasion resistance I guess.

Also I don't think you will need a swivel for an inline reel.

honker_clonker
12-13-2019, 09:48 AM
I've been using 2lb fireline mainline with a 3-4' mono leader tied with a uni to uni. Get the best of both worlds and as mentioned above, cut off a 20' chunk of braid every few years and a few mono leaders is much more cost effective.

3blade
12-13-2019, 03:07 PM
You’ve got the right idea with that setup

4 lbs vanish on a large arbor reel, with a tuned spring bobber on each rod. Even with the spring bobber I pick up strikes by watching the line. Tickle stick should do the same thing

I tried 2 lb but it doesn’t stand up to ice abrasion or hook sets on jumbos. Past the point of diminishing returns IMO. Tried all kinds of ice braids and they all freeze up in our weather, the suffix is the only one I’ve kept and only for warm days...pain in the ass.

.243dude
12-13-2019, 06:42 PM
You’ve got the right idea with that setup

4 lbs vanish on a large arbor reel, with a tuned spring bobber on each rod. Even with the spring bobber I pick up strikes by watching the line. Tickle stick should do the same thing

I tried 2 lb but it doesn’t stand up to ice abrasion or hook sets on jumbos. Past the point of diminishing returns IMO. Tried all kinds of ice braids and they all freeze up in our weather, the suffix is the only one I’ve kept and only for warm days...pain in the ass.

X2
I recommend 4lb Berkeley vanish line.
I have been using it for 2 years now and have 0 complaints.

Fishwhere
12-14-2019, 01:30 PM
4 pound flourocarbon. 2 is too light i think, 6 is too heavy.

HowSwedeItIs
12-17-2019, 11:27 PM
Wow lots to think about, hadn't considered using braid as backing. Thanks guys

pikeman06
12-18-2019, 05:11 AM
X3 on the 4lb vanish for perch. It works great for whites as well. I use 6 lb in lakes like sylvan for whitefish but if you get into bigger whitefish 8 lb is better as getting your fish started up the hole can snap that 6lb. Backing for perch?? Lol. Come on now.

Rikkles Fisher
12-18-2019, 05:54 AM
How is your auger? That's one of the most important things to consider for perch fishing. To find the perch sometimes you gotta drill alot of holes. I have caught jumbo's on 8lb test while hand lining it, the rods not that important it's finding them. Best of luck, tight lines.

Brandonkop
12-18-2019, 10:17 PM
How is your auger? That's one of the most important things to consider for perch fishing. To find the perch sometimes you gotta drill alot of holes. I have caught jumbo's on 8lb test while hand lining it, the rods not that important it's finding them. Best of luck, tight lines.

Don't listen to Ricky, he catches 15 inch perch tip up fishing pike with 10 inch herring on 100 lb fluorocarbon. The guy is not human.

For the rest of us weekend warriors you will definitely notice an increase in your catch rate the more sensitive of a rod you have. If it isn't sensitive enough, I recommend adding a titanium spring bobber for the ultra-lite bite. If you fish outside like me, you won't want to use a fluoro mainline as it stiffens up in the cold and the memory coil in the line can be the difference between you feeling a jumbo slurp vs. taking home Mr Skunk. So use a limp mono ice line or a braided mainline and a fluoro leader.

Of course you can hit slave lake and catch 12+ inch perch on walleye sized jigs and 12 pound test, but trust me there are lakes where you really can't go light enough, small enough and subtle enough. Perch from one lake to another can be very different in feeding behavior. Get to know the primary forage and you'll understand the behavior better.

For more information regarding catching perch on tip ups check out Rikkles Fishers video repertoire.

HowSwedeItIs
12-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Haha wow thanks a lot everybody! Brandon and Rick I am subscribed to both of you on youtube, always enjoy watching your guys' content. I do like to run and gun, dropped by Cabelas this afternoon and picked up some 4 lb braid and 4 lb fluoro. Looking forward to hitting some different lakes over the holidays!

Thanks again!

Supergrit
12-21-2019, 08:52 AM
You tie the light leader onto braided line with double uni knot?

HuyFishin
12-21-2019, 10:27 AM

I do this flourocarbon double uniknot to the braid

Brandonkop
12-22-2019, 12:21 AM

Just buy the wee tiny swivels... helps with line twist and lure spin which perch hate... shhhh.... I didn't tell you.