PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Black Betty Ghost - Free Fall Ice Fishin Reels

Zip-in-Z
12-21-2019, 08:46 PM
While in SoCal, I picked up two 13 Fishing Black Betty Ghost reels on sale at Dicks Sporting Goods, price was right $35.00 ea. I liked the simple design, the large handles & most important they have an excellent drag system, never would of thought they would tangle up my line into the mechanism.

I put 20 lb Sufix 832 Green Braid on for backing filled the spool to approx. ¾ full, then tie on approx. 6 feet of floro leader, then my W/W’s.

The braid was constantly getting wrapped up into the back of the reel, had to take the knob off remove the spool then remove the braid & put it all back together. I started tightening down the free fall adjustment knob so when you pull the release, you had to hand bomb out the line it’s doesn’t free fall on its own, defeats the purpose of the reel but no more tangles.

One afternoon after fishin Scott & I went to the Tackle Shack in Sylvan & I was told to ditch the 20 lb braid and put on a lighter 10 lb Sufix 832 ice braid. Everything was on sale at 25% off, so for $9.00 I got a spool & swapped out the heavier 20 lb for the lighter braid.

Well that didn’t quite work for me, see my pic’s has this happened to you ?

Anyone who uses these free fall reels have any other suggestions ?

Tks

David

13 Fishing Free Fall Ghost Reels

https://i.imgur.com/y8napee.jpg

Tightened up the Drop Speed Knob

https://i.imgur.com/wg1juGZ.jpg

New suffix 832 10 LB Backing.

https://i.imgur.com/DdGGD2Y.jpg

This Happened Continuously if Drop Speed is too Loose.

https://i.imgur.com/2UCRSKf.jpg

Remove the Knob but don’t Drop It.

https://i.imgur.com/bNQvLTW.jpg

Dropped it & Down it Went, Fortunately Vibro Got it Back Out

https://i.imgur.com/wbHiaTr.jpg

Took me about 10 minutes to fish it out.

Edit .... Complaining Aside, They're a Smooth Reel when you Catch Fish.

https://i.imgur.com/GkRULce.jpg

D.

EZM
12-21-2019, 08:57 PM
I made the same mistake and bought one a few years ago, although it was a different model, I had the same issues with it.

Frustrating, poorly designed, it now sits somewhere in the garage with all the other "mistakes" I've purchased and things that are broken and remain unused for one reason or another.

I have nothing good to say about them.

All of my ice gear now have regular spinning reels, Frabill center pins and a few HT center pins, all of these are way better than the Black Betty and give me zero grief.

OL_JR
12-21-2019, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up, was thinking about trying one. Not really much broke with a good quality spinning rig that needs changing anyways.

Zip-in-Z
12-21-2019, 09:07 PM
EZM ... tks for the info, I share your feelings, however, I really like the drag system & large handles, it's a smooth reel I'm open to suggestions & hoping it performs for me.

Cheers

D.

snowman93
12-22-2019, 12:05 AM
The new model has a line guide to prevent this from happening .

Brandonkop
12-22-2019, 12:19 AM
I don't like the one I have either. I'll stick with the old spinning reels. These ones are terrible in cold temps for freezing up and over spin. maybe in a heated tent, but that's not what I do.

JohninAB
12-22-2019, 05:16 AM
I have 3 13 fishing Ghost and 1 Black Betty all spooled with 6lb Power Pro or Sufix ice braid and have never had that issue. All I have used since last year.

Have 3 Frabill 261 inline reels and they work okay but a poorly designed release has made me take them apart more than once to fix.

The Rapala Concept on my Jason Mitchell Meatstick Rod I have yet to use so no comment.

The line twisting Shimano spinning reels stay at home in a bucket.

TimboLefty
12-22-2019, 05:58 AM
I bought one for this season it does the same thing. Don’t like it much

old dog
12-22-2019, 07:47 AM
I bought one this fall. Took it home loaded it with line and after just playing around with it in the house I decided it was going to be a headache so I returned it. From the comments here, I may have made the right call

TROLLER
12-22-2019, 09:51 AM
I almost bought one yesterday but thought maybe went for boxing day sale.

thanks for saving me the hassle of taking one back to the store.

owlhoot
12-22-2019, 10:49 AM
I read this too late, They Got Me. I bot a 13 Fishing Decent and its all spooled up now, I might as well try it

WayneChristie
12-22-2019, 10:51 AM
more gear to catch fishermen. :bad_boys_20: I prefer a big baitcaster for pike with usually heavy mono now since frozen braid cost me a good sturgeon reel a few winters ago, and small spinning reels for walter. catch the odd white on either, I just prefer heavy flouro leader material on both. did pick up some 10 pound Im going to try for walter with some new lures I got I have a feeling they are going to slay! thought the 10 pound spool was empty when I opened it its so clear and thin, cant wait to try it out!:sHa_shakeshout:

Dean2
12-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Info@13Fishing.com

Phone:
(800) 508-6013

Have any of you emailed or phoned the company. Sounds like this is a pretty widespread issue, you can't be the first to complain. Thought they might have a fix. Can't imagine they won't be working on this, maybe the new line guide snowman was talking about can be retro fitted.

Alberta Bigbore
12-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Never one issue with my rapala Centerpin ice reels. Have 6 and will never part with them.

Zip-in-Z
12-22-2019, 04:29 PM
OK ... tks for all the replies, sorted out some of your info to my problem and came to the following conclusion after playing with it in the house.

One or Two W/W's on a rod have insufficient weight to free fall with out some assistance, it's all about the tension "Drop Speed" knob in the 2nd pic. I must of had it way to loose and for lack of a better term, I got a bird nest.

My reel is left hand wind, I found you have to be a bit careful when you pull the trigger/release, not to get the line on the left side of the trigger, if you do that it gets wound up in the mechanism.

Unfortunately, I can't field test my theory as my equipment is all hung up until next ice fishin season, but you who own one can, let me know how your works when your out fishin in your shack, would appreciate some follow-up feedback.

Cheers

David

Zip-in-Z
12-06-2020, 05:42 PM
Update - Red-Green Fix.

Was out trout fishin on the weekend, my backing line got tangled up in my gear again, actually it happened 2 times, had to take the retainer screw off to get my line untangled, PITA.

Their new reels all have a line guide, guess they finally figured out the first version was a poor design. Looked around the shop to see if I had any replacement rod ferrules/eyes, found some but there was no way to attach them to my real.

Made my own, found a new use for bailing wire, wrapped it around the real foot used some electrical tape to hold it in place and adjusted it to centre the line when reeling up or descending, it appears to work.

Will advise next week if in fact it does help.

D.

https://i.imgur.com/2UCRSKf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/70cTide.jpg

Off in the Bushes
12-06-2020, 07:51 PM
I bought a combo last year from 13 Fishing and it took some time to set the reel up, I found that the spool was not sitting flush in the housing. Took a little bit finally got it to seat.

Zip-in-Z
12-06-2020, 09:25 PM
I bought a combo last year from 13 Fishing and it took some time to set the reel up, I found that the spool was not sitting flush in the housing. Took a little bit finally got it to seat.

So had another look at both my reels, mine are both sittin flush. The problem with the old style that I have is the backing line gets behind the spool if there's insufficient tension on the line. I believe the Red/Green fix will help significantly, especially when fishin W/W's when you have to hand bomb the line out to get it to free fall. Will update accordingly.

D.

Dean2
12-06-2020, 09:30 PM
So had another look at both my reels, mine are both sittin flush. The problem with the old style that I have is the backing line gets behind the spool if there's insufficient tension on the line. I believe the Red/Green fix will help significantly, especially when fishin W/W's when you have to hand bomb the line out to get it to free fall. Will update accordingly.

D.

Any chance the new part can be retrofitted to your reel.

Zip-in-Z
12-06-2020, 09:54 PM
Any chance the new part can be retrofitted to your reel.

It appears to be a mod that's integrated with the release trigger of the reel housing.

See the slotted area that's the line guide. Perhaps it's available from the mfg, I didn't investigate, has anyone here got the part & made the mod ?

Edit: ... found a Y-Tube video, the new line guide appears to screw on to the reel housing, the video suggested the new version with the line guide didn't allow the line to lay down flat & caused other line issues. Perhaps not a great design for light weight presentations like W/W's.

D.

https://i.imgur.com/p7156WT.jpg

Dean2
12-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Looks like it might swap over. Most don't change stuff any more than they have to. If it were me I would call the company direct and ask them. Bet they can tell u in short order if it will work.

Zip-in-Z
12-06-2020, 10:15 PM
Looks like it might swap over. Most don't change stuff any more than they have to. If it were me I would call the company direct and ask them. Bet they can tell u in short order if it will work.

Found a video of the 2020 reels with the line guide, it maybe available as an upgrade, I'll send customer service a note to see if it's available or not. My Red/Green fix appears to be superior.

D.

Zip-in-Z
12-08-2020, 08:44 PM
13 Fishing in the USA promptly responded to my e-mail informing them I was having problems with the line tangling up in the reel mechanism. They advised they would provide the new line guide/window at N/C & I pay the shipping/handling of $3.25 USD. When I provided the part numbers and my shipping/billing info it all came to a halt when they seen I live in Canada. My order is on hold until the border opens & USPS will release the parts/mail in their Miami, Fl Customs location. Wasn't prepared to pay $42.00 USD FedEx shipping. Guess my Red/Green fix will have to do for the next few months.

Now everyone following along knows this is ridiculous, right!

Cheers

D.

Corinne (13 Fishing)
Dec 8, 2020, 2:12 PM EST

We have tried to send several packages to Canada through USPS and they are all still sitting in customs in Miami. I have reached out to USPS and there is a hold on a lot of packages. If you would like, I will be happy to send them through USPS I just cant promise you they are going to make it.

Happy Fishing!
Parts & Service Department @13 Fishing
(800)508-6013 Ext 104

Corinne (13 Fishing)
Dec 8, 2020, 1:18 PM EST
Hey David,

With the border being closed it is extremely hard to get parts to you in Canada right now unless we send your parts through FedEx which is more expensive. If you would like to pay $42.00 in shipping, we will cover the parts for you. Please let me know if you would like to do this and I will send you a secured link to pay.

Thank you,
Corinne
Happy Fishing!

Corinne (13 Fishing)
Dec 7, 2020, 9:27 AM EST

David,

We'd be happy to get you the required parts and back on the water. All we need from you is..,

• Full Name
• Shipping Address/Billing Address if different than Shipping.
• Phone Number
• Reel Model # (Size, RH or LH)
• Description of the issue you are experiencing?
• Part # found on the schematic here (Reel Schematics)

Lost or broken parts are not covered under Warranty. If you need to file a Warranty claim, please follow the instructions here (Reel Warranty)

Shipping and handling is $3.25 per order. We will provide a secured PayNow link prior to shipping.

Happy Fishing!
Parts & Service Department @13 Fishing
(800)508-6013 Ext 104

dodger
03-07-2021, 05:33 PM
Reviving this thread. How is the Red Green fix holding up Zip-in-Z? Sure am unhappy with the line always getting caught up in the reel :( I actually purchased mine for summertime Perch but way to much time taking it apart for tangled line.

Dodger.

Zip-in-Z
03-07-2021, 06:44 PM
Reviving this thread. How is the Red Green fix holding up Zip-in-Z? Sure am unhappy with the line always getting caught up in the reel :( I actually purchased mine for summertime Perch but way to much time taking it apart for tangled line.

Dodger.

Mr. Dodger ........ No problem what-so-ever, it hasn't happened at all, I've also got the line tension set so now & it doesn't freefall with my w/w's. I won't be going back to the MFG for the upgraded parts, I believe my line guide is superior to their new guide system.

Not hard to do Red/Green Fix if you have some baling wire & tape.

Cheers

David

AmateurHr
03-08-2021, 07:40 AM
Been using this reel about half the season now (newer patriot model with line guide) and have been fairly impressed with it. Haven’t experienced that issue with mine, but it seems to have issues if the drop speed isn’t correct or attention isn’t paid. A few times now I’ve spun extra line out similar to a birds nest I guess. I think it’s fairly simple to fix by popping the nut and removing the spool (as long as it stays on the right side of the ice!)

My only other gripe is the silent drag, which is also a bit finicky in adjustments. Hard to tell when line is being pulled. Wasn’t sure if it would be more then a pan fish reel and I haven’t pulled any 20lb pike with it yet but it held up well this weekend on some chunky burbots.