PDA

View Full Version : dead stick for perch?

jigs
12-22-2019, 02:54 PM
Does anyone use a dead stick for perch while jigging nearby? If so what do you use for a lure and for bait. Thank you in advance

crazyfish
12-22-2019, 02:58 PM
I usually don't for perch , them seem to be attracted by some movement. A jigging jaw jacker is good for this , set very light

Usually run a tip up or jaw jacker for pike nearby .

3blade
12-22-2019, 03:48 PM
All the time. tungsten micro jigs and various gulp baits or maggots, with spring bombers on the rods.

Generally I’ll have one color in my hand and a different one on a dead stick right beside, you can’t be more than an arms length away to get them. If I find a preference I’ll change both to that. End up dead sticking both rods most of the time, I’ve never found perch respond well to aggressive movement in the places I fish, I think that only happens in lakes where they feed on minnows.

EZM
12-22-2019, 04:42 PM
I once tied a plastic shopping bag onto a rod out on some mild wind. It was a perch magnet, just enough movement I guess.

Burbot Sherbet
12-22-2019, 10:28 PM
My go to lately has been a tungsten jig with a perch eye or maggot on the still set and I jig a Frankenstein-ed perch talker a few feet away. Seems like the bells bring them in but if they’re reticent to bite, they go for the dead stick.

DOGFISH
12-23-2019, 06:00 AM
Two holes. One dead stick and jig with the flasher in the other. Some days nothing on the dead stick and other days it works. Slave has produced some hogs on a dead stick. See picture.

Smoky buck
12-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Two holes. One dead stick and jig with the flasher in the other. Some days nothing on the dead stick and other days it works. Slave has produced some hogs on a dead stick. See picture.

You can keep your fish but can I have the measuring device bellow it?

DOGFISH
12-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Sure, I ran out of 20's

Drewski Canuck
12-23-2019, 09:35 PM

Frankly,

I'm only impressed by the ones as big as a thousand dollar bill!!!

Merry Christmas!!

Drewski

OL_JR
12-24-2019, 05:51 AM
I'll set up a deadstick if I feel I've found some, but often there is a lot of moving around to try and stay on the bite so not always time. Depends on the lake.
If I have one out usually I'll put a one or two hook drop shop type rig on with just plain bait. Favourite is really small minnows or piece of worm. Sometimes go to a small jigging spoon on the bottom loaded with maggots, above that a palomar knot to a bare hook or wireworm above it. Basically a drop shot with the spoon as the weight. Always on a jawjacker. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

capper
12-24-2019, 06:58 AM
Was out yesterday, we managed a few nice ones but bite was slow. In my
Mind there is no reason not to use a dead stick. It didn’t even get me a bite yesterday on the dead stick but next week it might the rod that catches me my limit. Every day/every lake/ even every hour it can be https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191224/db5ef11d529d6f821e00c0e2f335f74f.jpgdifferent. Yesterday’s results on perch;
Dead stick with bobber small jig w/minnow head-0.
Slender spoon with maggots-1
Micro jig with plastic body- 4

Sorry for bad photo. Every time I catch a nice fish I think about taking a photo.... then I think “no time for a photo, gotta get the hook back down and catch another”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOGFISH
12-24-2019, 07:31 AM
Beauties capper. Thanks for posting. I recognize that lake. Keep up the great work. So far this year dead sticking hasn't been working but it is early.

Foonus
12-25-2019, 06:44 PM
I once tied a plastic shopping bag onto a rod out on some mild wind. It was a perch magnet, just enough movement I guess.

I've heard tell of this mysterious white bag species.. ever so elusive to the eye of enforcement officers, they only come out after snowfall provides adequate camouflage. You can sometimes find them burried just outside a fisherman's shanty, beside a truck tire, or trying to escape down a snow covered ice hole.
Very adept at fishing, they usually manage to catch their daily limit of fish all by themselves without anybody's help. :thinking-006:

DOGFISH
12-28-2019, 08:48 AM
Dead stick wasn't working for theses guys.