PDA

View Full Version : Perch fishing, tent or no tent???

StiksnStrings
12-24-2019, 01:28 PM
I'm going to give ice fishing for perch a try. Did it lots as a kid in open water, once a few years ago on the ice (had a great day). So, what does everyone prefer?

Moosetalker
12-24-2019, 01:42 PM
That is a temperature and wind sensitive question.
I run and gun prob drill 20 holes or more hole to hole with flasher once fish are found.
The wife has her Flipmo 3 and heater 4 ice holes 1 for camera 2 in tent {one for frozen husband if required} and one outside in view with her Jaw Jacker. or tip up if Burbot are around and legal to take.

Alberta Bigbore
12-24-2019, 03:22 PM
Gimme a portion of lake....cut to swiss cheese...... my Small sled.... my flasher... a small cooler for my bait and coffee.. my double sunflower heater with 20lb propane.... and ill hole hop for perch anyday all day even -25

RACKER
12-24-2019, 03:40 PM
if you have to search for them its easier to do if you are not in a tent.For some reason i have better luck catching them when im just sitting on a chair in the open.I too also drill alot of holes in the area first.The fish move around and they will bite in different holes in the same area.If the bite is on then you can set up a tent or if the weather is cold.Also i have drilled 60 holes in 4 hrs to find where they have moved to-usually gets the guys angry at ya if they are sitting at one hole watching a tip up.Best of luck to you.

Sundancefisher
12-24-2019, 03:48 PM
I'm going to give ice fishing for perch a try. Did it lots as a kid in open water, once a few years ago on the ice (had a great day). So, what does everyone prefer?

Perching is bes with light line 4 lb test and ultra light rods.

Warm day fishing in the open is fine.

Cold day a tentbis best because the hole is getting frozen over.

Foonus
12-25-2019, 06:00 PM
One thing to note is that the many of the "ice fishing" rods on the market despite the price have extremely small eyelets that will freeze up constantly if you aren't in a tent. Same will go for the line on your reel,regardless of what they say in the marketing.

Tried to buy my way out of it with higher priced rods thinking the eyelets were somehow constructed better or with a better material but no go.

Its one thing that blows my mind how they can offer high priced rods (st.criox, mojo's, fenwick techna ice, IE) specific for ice fishing, yet the eyelets are so small they need to be cleaned every line drop at minimal and freeze up while you are jigging outdoors.

To me Ice fishing implies cold temperature.. Are manufacturers making the assumption that you will be using this gear in a tent just to justify the marketing of these rods with such small eyelets as outdoor/ice rods?? .:confused:

As for the perch, seems slow this season for quality perch. Been up to La Nonne a few times Lethargic fish lead you to basically finding a flat that they are moving to feed, or a contour up towards it and hoping that they
will show some interest in your presentation, for this reason I have been using my shanty the last few times I went out.
Last Saturday was among people racing from Edmonton to get there early, arriving just before 8 seeing already 10+ on the ice near the store drive on... 10 AM there were well over 100, and by 2PM was only 3 left due to small fish with little action...
Set up a camera and seeing there all small fish, east side, west side.
Deep or shallow didn't seem to make a difference.
If I caught 100-120 perch there this ice season have had only ONE over 11 and from what I see on the camera they are solo roamers that are few and far between.

With slow fishing like this a tent with a camera for me personally adds to the enjoyment, as well as gives you comfortable place to work on your presentation.

SNAPFisher
12-26-2019, 07:04 AM
With slow fishing like this a tent with a camera for me personally adds to the enjoyment, as well as gives you comfortable place to work on your presentation.

Amen! I agree.

And, for those times where I need to be mobile. I have a two-man that can slide setup easily. Just drill a bunch of holes and hop in comfort.

HuyFishin
12-26-2019, 08:57 AM
just no tent and mono line for me haha

i still find myself never moving from just being lazy

i just tell myself the fish will come. lol

StiksnStrings
12-26-2019, 09:35 AM
Thanks everyone. I've got a small light tent and invested in a decent rod/reel for perch. Electronics, cameras aren't in the budget just now. I'm hoping to get out soon, got a couple of lakes in mind around Edmonton. See how it goes.

EZM
12-26-2019, 10:38 PM
We set up and stay. Sure, running and gunning will catch you more fish, most of the time, but if you have a GPS, can set up on a drop off in a good, well known, spot, you will catch fish all day and makes coffee, grill some food, have some laughs and stay warm and toasty.

Depends on what kind of day is a success for you ..... for me it's a social get outdoors event, with some fishing as a bonus.

I've done both. I just prefer setting up a base camp at the very least. I will often venture off and drill a few holes if the weather is good anyways and mess around jumping around in the vicinity.

Weather also plays a factor, of course.

Red Bullets
12-26-2019, 11:30 PM
I prefer no tent for perch ice fishing deep water. I hand line and don't use a spool so I like to sit angled to the wind or breeze so as I pull up line or a fish I let the breeze take the line away behind me. Easy to keep the line from tangling. If it's not too cold I like no tent just to get sun during the short days of winter.