PDA

View Full Version : Living in my Tent for 72hrs!!!

Rikkles Fisher
12-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Hey everyone I just got back from an awesome trip, this is part 1 of 2. Hope you enjoy!
https://youtu.be/bkbdFzKgdKE

Brandonkop
12-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Hey everyone I just got back from an awesome trip, this is part 1 of 2. Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/bkbdFzKgdKESo how do you stay alive without getting carbon monoxide poisoning if you sleep with a propane heater? Ive read all kinds of warnings that make me hesitate trying.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Rikkles Fisher
12-24-2019, 06:06 PM
So how do you stay alive without getting carbon monoxide poisoning if you sleep with a propane heater? Ive read all kinds of warnings that make me hesitate trying.

I leave both doors open a bit and air vents.

Rikkles Fisher
12-24-2019, 06:18 PM
So how do you stay alive without getting carbon monoxide poisoning if you sleep with a propane heater? Ive read all kinds of warnings that make me hesitate trying.

If you are worried you could get a carbon monoxide detector to ease your mind.

freeride
12-24-2019, 06:20 PM
If you are worried you could get a carbon monoxide detector to ease your mind.

Thats what I do. Although its never gone off... its peace of mind.
$30 = no death... its worth it in my books.

Brandonkop
12-24-2019, 06:46 PM
Thats what I do. Although its never gone off... its peace of mind.

$30 = no death... its worth it in my books.Yeah, no kidding.

Bigwoodsman
12-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Cool video. How was the condensation in your tent?

Great fish too.

BW

Rikkles Fisher
12-24-2019, 09:26 PM
Cool video. How was the condensation in your tent?

Great fish too.

BW

Thank you! No condensation unless it's really cold and always a bit in windows.

Bigwoodsman
12-24-2019, 09:28 PM
Thank you! No condensation unless it's really cold and always a bit in windows.

What setting did you run the buddy heater at? Was it drafty in the tent?

BW

Rikkles Fisher
12-24-2019, 09:50 PM
What setting did you run the buddy heater at? Was it drafty in the tent?

BW

Low mostly but anytime I went out and came back in I'd put it on medium or high

old dog
12-25-2019, 12:37 AM
I have run my buddy heater in the tent for lots of sleep overs and have used it in my enclosed trailer as well. There is little or no carbon monoxide. If u read their manual it is safe to use indoor. Saying that, I have a CO detector in my cargo trailer which I take into the ice tent when in use.

Rikkles Fisher
12-25-2019, 08:48 PM
I have run my buddy heater in the tent for lots of sleep overs and have used it in my enclosed trailer as well. There is little or no carbon monoxide. If u read their manual it is safe to use indoor. Saying that, I have a CO detector in my cargo trailer which I take into the ice tent when in use.

Extreme cases can happen I'm sure but I feel pretty safe with my big buddy so far

OL_JR
12-25-2019, 09:44 PM
I've only stayed over night in a shack with propane heat for one trip which was a couple nights. As a precaution I grabbed a four head monitor from work and kept the two doors on either end of the shack half zipped open plus it has roof vents. Also punched a couple trenches under the flaps around the edges for more air flow. The weather was pretty mild so wasn't as concerned about sealing the heat in.

Both nights the monitor went off on low oxygen in the middle of the night (norm is 20.9%, alarms at 19.5). No CO at all. Not sure what dangerously low is but we just opened the doors good and wide for a bit to stay on the safe side then pinched them back again a bit till morning and all was good. We were using a big buddy heater and it does have a low oxygen shut off and it is obviously set lower than what the gas detector picked up or failed I'm not certain. I think the big buddies are pretty safe but I wouldn't want to seal up a tent air tight and just rely on the safety shut off that is for darn sure.

I'm thinking the next time I do it I might rig up a hood type assembly similar to the catadyne type heaters that are common in the oil field and vent out a door.

Rikkles Fisher
12-26-2019, 08:43 PM
I've only stayed over night in a shack with propane heat for one trip which was a couple nights. As a precaution I grabbed a four head monitor from work and kept the two doors on either end of the shack half zipped open plus it has roof vents. Also punched a couple trenches under the flaps around the edges for more air flow. The weather was pretty mild so wasn't as concerned about sealing the heat in.

Both nights the monitor went off on low oxygen in the middle of the night (norm is 20.9%, alarms at 19.5). No CO at all. Not sure what dangerously low is but we just opened the doors good and wide for a bit to stay on the safe side then pinched them back again a bit till morning and all was good. We were using a big buddy heater and it does have a low oxygen shut off and it is obviously set lower than what the gas detector picked up or failed I'm not certain. I think the big buddies are pretty safe but I wouldn't want to seal up a tent air tight and just rely on the safety shut off that is for darn sure.

I'm thinking the next time I do it I might rig up a hood type assembly similar to the catadyne type heaters that are common in the oil field and vent out a door.
Exactly! And I don't sleep for 12hrs straight in the tent with the heater going either, I usually wake up every 4 or 5 hrs and grab a bit of fresh air.

Supergrit
12-28-2019, 05:10 AM
http://zodi.com/tent-heaters
If the combustion for your heat is inside your tent it is dangerous if burn outside tent and blow the heat in its is safe and there should be way less condensation. These heaters are made for tents.

Mountain Guy
12-28-2019, 11:36 AM
http://zodi.com/tent-heaters
If the combustion for your heat is inside your tent it is dangerous if burn outside tent and blow the heat in its is safe and there should be way less condensation. These heaters are made for tents.

Or you could buy a small used holiday trailer with a proper furnace for a little cheaper..only issue is getting it on the ice.