PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing new guy. Some pointers possibly?

Scottmisfits
12-26-2019, 08:29 PM
Hey guys, I’m just looking for some pointers. I have some base equipment. Some I’ve had for a while but just never got the chance to head out. I’m looking to go out with my son and my father. 14 and 66 respectively.

Two basic things are where should I’ve looking at within about an hour of Calgary. I’m Deep South, Dad is Far North.
Second, what kind of lure and such should I be looking for? What kind of bait for hard water fishing if it’s allowed?

I think the last time I was ice fishing I was maybe 8, so I obviously don’t remember much.

Thank you for the help.

Brandonkop
12-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Hey guys, I’m just looking for some pointers. I have some base equipment. Some I’ve had for a while but just never got the chance to head out. I’m looking to go out with my son and my father. 14 and 66 respectively.

Two basic things are where should I’ve looking at within about an hour of Calgary. I’m Deep South, Dad is Far North.
Second, what kind of lure and such should I be looking for? What kind of bait for hard water fishing if it’s allowed?

I think the last time I was ice fishing I was maybe 8, so I obviously don’t remember much.

Thank you for the help.

It really depends what you are looking to catch since location, lures an bait all changes with every species. Maybe try some local stocked trout lakes if there are any to start. I don't know the calgary area much but I have fish Upper and Lower kananaskis, Spray Lake and Quarry lake which are all beautiful lakes to ice fish and have willing fish.

Poppa
12-26-2019, 10:19 PM

Thank you for the help.hit up Langdon Red (Dalemead Lake) on Glenmore East (south of town of Langdon).... Its a good place to practice. Lots of Pike that'll take anything you put down the hole...

Scottmisfits
12-27-2019, 06:03 AM
hit up Langdon Red (Dalemead Lake) on Glenmore East (south of town of Langdon).... Its a good place to practice. Lots of Pike that'll take anything you put down the hole...

How’s the ice out there? Is t good to go? I would imagine it would be by now. Perch is just fine for me. Is bait allowed there or just lures? I can’t find much info on it.

Thank you

old dog
12-27-2019, 07:55 AM
Chestemere and Eagle Lake r also close and easy to access. Walk on only at this point.

slamilton
12-29-2019, 07:46 AM
Heres a few quick ideas to give you a start:
Eagle or Chestermere- Pike-use a smelt on a jig head(you can buy at Can Tire or cheaper to buy in bulk at Superstore), They are pretty gross water I think but can be easy.
Mcgreggor- Pike, walleye mainly but can be burbot and trout and whitefish, smelt on jig is a go to, go near the dam at south end
Chain Lakes- rainbow trout, lots of different lures will work but just keep it simple with a small piece of shrimp on a small jig head, you can fish almost anywhere and have some luck but this year seems slow.

As mentioned, Kananaskis has some great lakes with bigger fish and nicer views but be sure to check regulations as they are different everywhere. Spray Lakes is great for Lake Trout (use smelt on jig in 40-80ft of water).

Ice is for the most part safe most places to walk but exercise caution and drill test holes walking out. Use this forum as there are lots more posts about those specific lakes if you want to do a little research.

Scottmisfits
12-30-2019, 08:09 AM
Thank you for the replies.

We went to Dalemead yesterday, on the north end. Both my son and I had our rods bend in half but not even enough time to try and set the hooks and they were straight again, fish gone. We were out with my Dad and another friend for about 6 hours and had a riot. Days like yesterday aren’t about the fish you catch, although that would’ve been. I’ve. It was more about the socializing aspect of it and laughing and joking with the two most important men in my life, my father and son. No social pressures, no set timelines, nothing except spending that time together.

We will be heading out again, hopefully very soon.

HuyFishin
12-30-2019, 08:13 AM
Thank you for the replies.

We went to Dalemead yesterday, on the north end. Both my son and I had our rods bend in half but not even enough time to try and set the hooks and they were straight again, fish gone. We were out with my Dad and another friend for about 6 hours and had a riot. Days like yesterday aren’t about the fish you catch, although that would’ve been. I’ve. It was more about the socializing aspect of it and laughing and joking with the two most important men in my life, my father and son. No social pressures, no set timelines, nothing except spending that time together.

We will be heading out again, hopefully very soon.

I'm glad you had a great time. Hopefully this will become your family tradition weekly haha