PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: What to Bring & What to Keep

DarkAisling
07-20-2009, 12:29 PM
We've planned our first family camping/fishing trip for next Monday.

This is where we're going:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.061115,-115.319324&t=h&sll=68.583271,-57.657988&sspn=42.833458,138.379171&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.060494,-115.315976&spn=0.017748,0.055575&z=15&iwloc=near

We'll be camping where the arrow is. I think the regs are different on the other side of the highway. Sorry! This all so new to me it is kind of overwhelming.

I think that where we'll be camping we can keep four Whitefish per angler (not that I know what a "Whitefish" looks like, yet). On the other side of the bridge that crosses the highway I think we can keep one Rainbow and four Whitefish per angler. Can someone confirm or correct this for me? I want to keep us out of hot water.

We'll be fishing from shore, using spinning gear. Does anyone have any recommendations for lures? I know that hooks have to be barbless. I think we can have up to three treble hooks on one lure (please correct if I'm in error). I'd really like to see the teenager catch something (even better if he can keep it), so I guess I'd like to know what the best lure for Whitefish is (for this area).

Also, does anyone have a good pic of a Whitefish that is representative of what we can keep (if we're allowed to keep any) in this area? I have had a look a Banff's "How to identify your catch" pamplet, but the pictures are black and white drawings. I'd like something a little clearer, and with colour.

Don't be too rough on me if I've asked a dumb question or made a grievous error in my research, please :o I've got lots to learn!

Cal
07-20-2009, 12:40 PM
For whites a tie a nail onto the end of your fishing line and tie a small fly a foot or so up on a dropper. This will catch trout as well. Small spinners and spoons are also good hooks. Sorry not entirely sure what the regs are in your chosen spot but make sure there are no size reqirements for the fish either. In much of the province whitefish must be 12 inches long and in some streams rainbow trout must also be 12 inches long.

Mr Wiggles
07-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Rocky Mountain Whitefish

http://www.ohwy.com/us/m/mtnwhite.jpg

DarkAisling
07-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the pic, Elias!

I double checked the regs (much easier when working with a hardcopy), we can keep two Brookies a piece, and five Mountain Whitefish over 30 cm a piece. I can't find a length for the Brookies.

Cal, if we're using spinners and/or spoons, would you put those on a dropper or on the end of the line? I'm thinking that they'd go on the end of the line, but thought I'd double check.

slingshotz
07-20-2009, 09:49 PM
When they don't specify a size limit it usually means there is no size limit. It's usually the case with brookies as they are like the perch of the trout family and they can actually stunt themselves with overpopulation.

Cal
07-21-2009, 08:26 AM
No dropper on spinners and spoons tie them right to the end with an improved cinch knot, if you need weight to get them down deeper or for casting add a splitshot or two about a foot and a half up the line.

DarkAisling
07-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Cool . . . thanks guys!

jesse34567
07-21-2009, 10:10 AM
one thing the other guys didn't mention when your setting the hook don't reefe
on it, because the white fish have very tiny mouths and take a second longer to inhale the bait,