PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Burbot

A.H.
12-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Just cleaned my first ever kept burbot. Send them back most of the time but my son decided he wanted to keep this one. What is the best way to cook them. Most of what the internet says is boil and eat like lobster. Are they good fried as well?

A.H.

Bigwoodsman
12-28-2019, 07:51 PM
Just cleaned my first ever kept burbot. Send them back most of the time but my son decided he wanted to keep this one. What is the best way to cook them. Most of what the internet says is boil and eat like lobster. Are they good fried as well?

A.H.

Find a beer batter recipe make it dip the pieces in and deep fry it. Make some fries. Guaranteed you’ll be back out fishing for more burbs

BW

ssyd
12-28-2019, 07:53 PM
I've only ever had em battered and fried, excellent white meat fish. Couldn't imagine boiling it that would ruin it. You boil lobster whole in the shell and I don't see no shell on a burbot!

Red Bullets
12-28-2019, 08:16 PM
The meat holds together pretty good cut into chunks. It doesn't have to be a rolling boil, more a gentle simmer, or can be steamed too.

The Alaska gov't has lots of good recipes for burbot. The last recipe is boiled burbot.
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/education/angler/pdfs/burbot_recipes.pdf

Greatwest
12-28-2019, 08:52 PM
Batter and fry is how I always cook it. There were days in mid March back in Sask that we used to catch our limits no problem.

Dubious
12-28-2019, 09:31 PM
There fun to catch and taste good but they stink up the house and mess up the sink with the slime and there poop. I’ve found deep frying them as fish and chips has worked out the best.

3blade
12-28-2019, 09:47 PM
Wipe the slime off, nail head to plank, cut skin around head, peel skin with pliers, and take the backstrap meat off. Avoid getting slime, guts or skin in contact with the meat. I just batter and fry it up like pike or walleye, tastes just as good

Haven’t cooked up the bellies yet, in the freezer right now...mixed reviews on those

-JR-
12-28-2019, 10:12 PM
First of all....you never take them home !
Second of all you can filet them just like a walleye or pike.
Third question is , do you like deep fried chicken or do you like chicken bolded like a poor man .

That should answer your questions

Twin Valleys
12-28-2019, 10:55 PM
Wipe the slime off, nail head to plank, cut skin around head, peel skin with pliers, and take the backstrap meat off. Avoid getting slime, guts or skin in contact with the meat. I just batter and fry it up like pike or walleye, tastes just as good

Haven’t cooked up the bellies yet, in the freezer right now...mixed reviews on those

exactly like this, forget the bellies, imo can't beat their taste, just a lot of work for a small amount of meat from big body

Burbot Sherbet
12-28-2019, 11:36 PM
If you’re going the poor man’s lobster route, you can take a trick from our Wisconsin brethren and boil in sprite instead of water. Personally I like a hearty burb chowder, heavy on the butter and cream and a bit of lemon and cumin.

220 Swift
12-29-2019, 05:13 AM
Here are notes on my iphone i have with the one i caught...

Burbot lobster.

So we have cooked up half of the burbot at moms place.

Of the half we cooked we split it in half again- mom pan fried with: salt and pepper, flour lemon pepper. Similar to a walleye.

I did the burbot in a ziploc bag in boiling water. I used 1/4 fish for about 6-8minutes in boiling water . We put a pinch of lemon pepper and a squirt of lemon juice in the bag.
The butter dish i put a pinch of salt and a few drops of lemon juice.

Both turned out real good. Mom liked the pan fried and i liked the lobster in a bag. And i still have half a fish left.

Burbot was 27" long i never weighed her. A pile of eggs in her.

BEL
12-29-2019, 05:42 AM
Don’t boil the burbot in water. Cut meat into chunks and ensure you dry them well. Drop them into a zip lock bag with butter and your favourite fish seasoning. Make sure the bag is devoid of air and is tightly sealed. Drop the bag into a pot of rolling/boiling water. Cook for about 12 minutes. Pretty good. BEL

A.H.
12-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Thank you all for your replies. Deep fried it will be.

stubblejumper01
12-29-2019, 10:01 AM
You can also cut the backstraps into chunks, wrap them in bacon like a scallop and bake in oven until bacon is cooked. Delicious!!

EZM
12-29-2019, 01:57 PM
All types of white fleshed fish like pike, walleye and burbs are really great with just a dredge of well seasoned all purpose flour and into a hot skillet with a few drops of olive oil and a spoon of butter for a quick, simple and not so greasy perfectly moist fillet.

The trick with burbs is to cut into 1/2" to 3/4"thick medallions along the backstraps so they cook evenly.

Turns out great. My favorite way to eat fish.

Rdamours
12-29-2019, 04:07 PM
It's basically fresh water cod. I'm going to try next week for some...or anything for that matter. Where do you go for them around Edmonton. Lac st Anne used to have them a while back.

RandyBoBandy
12-29-2019, 05:49 PM
Chopped into chunks, pan fry with lots of butter and your choice of seasonings, when almost done finish off the cooking by pouring ORANGE BRANDY over it...SWEET tasting meal..:)

Ssteward
12-29-2019, 09:23 PM
Lots of good tips here! I cube the back straps, deep fry with Cajun fish crisp, then mash them in a bowl with some tarter sauce and spread it in a hamburger bun, omg best fish sandwich ever lol. Can’t wait to get some more of these later in the season!

boonedocks
12-29-2019, 09:30 PM
I always get a kick out of people saying to nail there heads to trees or boards?! They must have interesting looking yards! 😂. Instead, I would drive a heavy nail into a tree at a height that you can place a garbage can under, then Simply hang the burb ( after cutting skin around body just behind head) by its bottom jaw bone. With any luck, and some practice, you can get most of the nastiness to land in the garbage can as you pull the skin down and off! Thanks for the new recipe ideas, they are one of the few fish that I truly enjoy eating.

Bigwoodsman
12-29-2019, 09:49 PM
Thank you all for your replies. Deep fried it will be.

You need to let us know how it turned out for you.

BW

3blade
12-30-2019, 01:14 AM
I always get a kick out of people saying to nail there heads to trees or boards?! They must have interesting looking yards! 😂. Instead, I would drive a heavy nail into a tree at a height that you can place a garbage can under, then Simply hang the burb ( after cutting skin around body just behind head) by its bottom jaw bone. With any luck, and some practice, you can get most of the nastiness to land in the garbage can as you pull the skin down and off! Thanks for the new recipe ideas, they are one of the few fish that I truly enjoy eating.

Haha the nail comes out when you are done with the first one, to be used on the next. Admittedly the fish’s head is a little worse for wear but I’m not eating that part. Like your idea about verticals skinning into a garbage pail, will have to try that.

58thecat
12-30-2019, 06:06 AM
Hmmmm like the tree idea.....if left hanging might upset the neighbours:sHa_sarcasticlol:

On another note had burbot cut into chunks put in a strainer and boiled maybe ten minutes right out into garlic butter and then into our mouths...it was really good.....will try other recipes as I enjoy the different varieties out there.

Tight lines.:)

58thecat
12-30-2019, 08:29 AM
So what are you using? Delivery? Style?