PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing and Ferry Shrimp

Heron
12-31-2019, 09:40 AM
I went to a local Edmonton pothole lake for trout the other day and when I pulled my auger up, dozens of shrimp came up with the water as I was plunging the hole. Looking down the hole was the same... infestation of the kritters!! Zero fish caught as I am sure they were stuffed full of shrimp. Does that theory make sense?

Drewski Canuck
12-31-2019, 09:44 AM
Yup!

But thems good eating fish!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Drewski

EZM
12-31-2019, 01:15 PM
That is tough fishing in conditions like that. Happens occasionally in open water too. My cousin and a few members here were at Pierce lake on spring after opening a few years back and there was so much bait in the water (minnows in our case) the fishing was tough.

Why chase a lure when you can lay there and let the minnows swim right into your mouth - man there was lots of bait - never seen anything like that before in my entire life.

Moosetalker
12-31-2019, 11:32 PM
I believe this is time of year Scud {shrimp} breeding time so they congregate up under the ice.

pikeman06
12-31-2019, 11:42 PM
Yup, seen it the other day myself.... shrimp and back swimmers and a cloud of minnows around my pathetic offering on a fished out lake...went home and made a hamburger. Felt way better.