PDA

View Full Version : Eskimo Mako fuel leak

garbuckle
12-31-2019, 11:41 AM
I was recently out ice fishing and my Eskimo auger was leaking fuel when not running. I sat it in the upright position for the night when I got back to the cabin. It from 3/4 full to ~ 1/4 full and stopped.
Fuel lines all look good. Internet says new gas tank needed. Anyone else experience this problem?

lenka
12-31-2019, 12:37 PM
Check the two screws holding the fuel tank at the bottom of the fuel tank to see if any fuel leaks out. Mine was leaking from one of the screws at the bottom of the fuel tank.

Kim473
01-01-2020, 03:23 AM
3 or so years or older, the gas tanks develop a crack in the mounting screws. You probably need the updated gas tank. Remove it, fill with water and check for a crack. Can get one at the lawnmower hospital. I replaced mine last year. A quick repair / temporary, is to ruff up the area and use epoxy. Will get you through till you get a new tank.

Poor design !

garbuckle
01-01-2020, 04:24 PM
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. Took it apart and i need a new tank. Only football for Eskimo's now.

RavYak
01-01-2020, 06:29 PM
Yup it is a common issue on the old Mako's. The nuts embedded in the plastic result in a stress concentration and eventually the fuel tank cracks.

The replacement fuel tank mounts differently and does not have that problem anymore. It has been around for a while.

Lawnmower hospital stocks those replacement fuel tanks or at least they had a couple when I needed one a few years ago.