PDA

View Full Version : Catch and release Survival

Donny Bear
07-20-2009, 07:18 PM
The Gills hanging out were healed from what i think must have been a hook or possibly Catch and release this pike still had the life and the fight leads me to believe that fewer fish die than I may have previously thought. Man I use to hate to have to release fish that I had thought were hooked to bad this makes CPR all the easier.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/escanabajimmer/Pike.jpg

brandeasy
07-20-2009, 07:22 PM
yeah pike are hardy fish i have caught one pike in jackfish lake four years in a row with the gills hanging out the gill plate like that pike, it was nowhere near that size though.

CatchandRelease
07-21-2009, 07:04 AM
I find a major factor in the survival of the fish isnt just the fish itself but the environment it resides in. For instance that fish probably lives in a healthy environment where there is alot of food, clean(er) water, lots of O2 and a good balance of species and deep enough for the fish to escape the hotter water and go to places to cool down. Ive fished bodies of water where ive caught fish and the fight lasts no more then 10 seconds, perfect hook set on the lip and i have to spend 5 mins to revive the fish and then it will still go belly up. That being said it was a shallow body of water, LOTS of weeds and it was mid summer, all make for bad conditions for the survival of the fish.

It does also vary species to species and pike are a very hardy fish as brandeasy stated but other fish such as trout and grayling i find to b alot "softer" and have to b alot more careful when handling.

spinerfisher
07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
X2 on that!!!

Donny Bear
07-21-2009, 02:41 PM
I find a major factor in the survival of the fish isnt just the fish itself but the environment it resides in. For instance that fish probably lives in a healthy environment where there is alot of food, clean(er) water, lots of O2 and a good balance of species and deep enough for the fish to escape the hotter water and go to places to cool down. Ive fished bodies of water where ive caught fish and the fight lasts no more then 10 seconds, perfect hook set on the lip and i have to spend 5 mins to revive the fish and then it will still go belly up. That being said it was a shallow body of water, LOTS of weeds and it was mid summer, all make for bad conditions for the survival of the fish.

It does also vary species to species and pike are a very hardy fish as brandeasy stated but other fish such as trout and grayling i find to b alot "softer" and have to b alot more careful when handling.

Agreed with all said and grayling are very suseptable. I was just suprised that a fish could go on one lung so to speak lucky living underwater reduces the risk of a smoking addiction:evilgrin:

spinerfisher
07-21-2009, 03:41 PM
still a nice fish, just hangin out:lol: