PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon lake

Gbuss
01-02-2020, 09:17 AM
Let me start this post off by saying I grew up fishing lake of the woods a lake with loads of structure and if you know how to fish that you can produce lots of fish. With that being said. I have been to pigeon lake a couple of time now. I have noticed their isn't much structure to the lake. The odd gradual humps no real steep drop offs were it will go from 10' to 25 30' in about 20 yards. That being said I have only been able to ice 2 walleye so far. I have fished the pp in about 18fow and mill Hurst in 16fow.

What the heck do they hold on i. That lake during the winter with little to no structure:angry3:?? This is not a complaint just trying to figure them out and yes i get away from the crowds as i dont like to crowd up.

Gbuss

HuyFishin
01-02-2020, 09:23 AM
This lake kills me everytime i go. I have been here 5 days straight and skunked. I feel like this place is just an oversized pond and they dont know where to swim most of the time haha. I go to the Provincial Park drop off and i barely see fish. They dont seem to swim in schools like the fishing shows online haha.

Yesterday i fished at the provincial park, arrived at 7:30am had the morning walleye bite with 5 walleyes, sat on the bucket all the way till sunset till i got one more bite. let me tell yah, i could have gone home after the sunrise and drove back for sunset haha. I was using a buckshot and the slab rap on each rod.

https://images.nationalprostaff.com/w760/posts/db485b19-a0b3-4a71-ab2d-045e804f0c81/666821/69360b25-f39c-4842-b18e-d13a428d63f0-result_1577944804033.jpg

RACKER
01-02-2020, 09:43 AM
I’ve found they move out of the PP trough come January. Middle of the lake produces but not sure how thick the ice is out there. East side always has been good for me. The walleye hang out near rock structures and that’s where I’ve had luck. This is where the camera is a great tool. Also a jig and minnow for me catches a lot more fish than any spoon or rap that I’ve tried. Now only if I could drive out there.

SNAPFisher
01-02-2020, 10:43 AM
I'm largely just echoing what HuyFishin and Racker are saying.

I was at PP last Saturday based on your post of seeing shrimp. You were correct! I found lots in certain areas there. I came for the whites and didn't see a single one. Like HF, I nailed 6 wallies first thing in the morning and then it died off for me and everyone else it seemed. I was in 10 FOW of water though. I find that early season I can get them and visually fish them in 9-10 FOW. By mid-day I was out in 25 FOW and managed 3 more. All mine were caught on jigging spoons. Lots of raising up to the top and fluttering and and vigorous jigging. I adjust the action based on what I'm seeing. 2-3 of the walleye in the morning were caught by dropping the spoon to the bottom and only slightly jigging it once in a while. Like Racker, I find they move out of the more shallow water once January hits.

FYI, looks like much colder air coming to central later next week if the forecast holds. Lots of wind to remove any snow cover and then lots of cold. That will grow some ice!

Gbuss
01-02-2020, 11:11 AM
I’ve found they move out of the PP trough come January. Middle of the lake produces but not sure how thick the ice is out there. East side always has been good for me. The walleye hang out near rock structures and that’s where I’ve had luck. This is where the camera is a great tool. Also a jig and minnow for me catches a lot more fish than any spoon or rap that I’ve tried. Now only if I could drive out there.

I need to find these rock structure you talk about. I would love to find that and fish it.

Gbuss

riderprider
01-02-2020, 11:35 AM
I’ve found that for the most part at Pigeon if you’re not fishing either morning or evening it’s pretty slim pickings. PP is mostly a waste past Christmas.

HuyFishin
01-02-2020, 12:06 PM
I need to find these rock structure you talk about. I would love to find that and fish it.

Gbuss

when people talk about structure they are referring to that one lonesome stone in the middle of the lake lol

Gbuss
01-02-2020, 05:06 PM
when people talk about structure they are referring to that one lonesome stone in the middle of the lake lol

When I talk about structure I want to see mother earth come up to about 2fow and drop down to 25fow in about 10 yards.

Gbuss

RACKER
01-02-2020, 05:40 PM
When I talk about structure I want to see mother earth come up to about 2fow and drop down to 25fow in about 10 yards.

Gbuss

This is a crappy photo /screenshot of aqua vu but it shows what i look for at Pigeon.The PP has a big drop off that carries for a long way but doesnt produce as well in the winter.My truck and quad have taken a beating over the last 3 years finding good spots so I understand its not that easy.

HuyFishin
01-02-2020, 06:25 PM

Gbuss

i wish we had that, its all just sand flats. When i go to wabamun fallis area thats what i dream of for this place haha
(photo credit from stringtheoryangling website.)
There is a huge drop right where this ifish pro is, it is also filled with 12 inch walleyes

IMAGINE IF WE HAD ALL THAT STRUCTURE UNDER WATER!!:sHa_shakeshout:

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/GPTempDownload-2-1600x1200.jpg

Quite rare for most our lakes.

Brandonkop
01-02-2020, 07:55 PM
Pigeon does have structure, hard to find but when you do it is usually fish on. But still most days i would say early morning or sunset to night bite for walleye. I drove out to the middle last could days. 10 to 11.5 inches. Fishing was slow for us. Only whites we found were deep. Got one walleye out deep and 6 on structure after sunset yesterday. Thats a pretty slow days. Usually do better out there. You'd be surprised though sometimes the shallow sand to the west of mulhurst can be good for walleye too. Fun when theyre cruising 3 feet of water.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Gbuss
01-03-2020, 08:07 AM
Belive me I will find the structure on that lake. Once I do it will be fish on. But I am glad alote of people have the same frustrations as I do lol so it is just not me. To that I will be out sometime soon in hops to try a few new spots.

Gbuss

SNAPFisher
01-03-2020, 08:12 AM
Belive me I will find the structure on that lake. Once I do it will be fish on. But I am glad alote of people have the same frustrations as I do lol so it is just not me. To that I will be out sometime soon in hops to try a few new spots.

Gbuss

The pic looks great actually. For me, if I find rocks like you are seeing, I'll find the edge where either they thin out or abruptly disappear and fish that. Usually I find the fish cruise that more than directly on top of rocks. Same thing for weeds for me, find the edge. With little structure, fish seem to relate to these areas.

Red Bullets
01-03-2020, 11:13 AM
On the east end of Sundance beach there is a spot with lots of rocks in about 14 feet of water. And Birdsh*t island SW of Mameo has great structure with rock piles.

338Bluff
01-03-2020, 12:57 PM
On the east end of Sundance beach there is a spot with lots of rocks in about 14 feet of water. And Birdsh*t island SW of Mameo has great structure with rock piles.

Isn't that Island pretty much straight North and slightly East of Mameo? You can see it on Google Earth.

Red Bullets
01-03-2020, 05:55 PM
Isn't that Island pretty much straight North and slightly East of Mameo? You can see it on Google Earth.

Pretty well straight north of Mameo but not east. Mameo is on the east shore. Look at Pigeon's depth map and you can see where it is. Go to "Figure 2" in the write up for the map.
http://albertalakes.ualberta.ca/?page=lake&region=3&lake=96

It is good in February there for lingcod too. Have caught walleye, whites and pike there.

Tikka Hunter
01-03-2020, 07:07 PM
Interesting read Red Bullets, thanks for posting. My grandparents homesteaded 3 miles south of Ma-me-o beach. I have camped, swam, and fished in Pigeon Lake off and on most of my life. Grandparents are gone, but uncles still farm in the area...……..

Red Bullets
01-04-2020, 01:28 AM

I just saw my screw up. Sorry. It was north and a bit west, not SW.

pikeman06
01-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Still 2400 undersubscribed walleye tags left for pigeon guys and girls...go get em. St anne and gull too in central alberta.

Red Bullets
01-04-2020, 09:03 PM
Interesting read Red Bullets, thanks for posting. My grandparents homesteaded 3 miles south of Ma-me-o beach. I have camped, swam, and fished in Pigeon Lake off and on most of my life. Grandparents are gone, but uncles still farm in the area...……..

Nice area. Just south and west of Pigeon. Sort of a hidden gem as far as the outdoors and lake life being close by.

RACKER
01-05-2020, 08:50 PM
Hit silver beach today and the weather turned out a lot better than I thought. The wind died down and got calm after 2. As usual the walleye bite turned on at 430. Caught 14 between 2 of us. All but 3 were A class. There was hardly anyone out there.

lromanchuk
01-05-2020, 09:01 PM
Has anyone landed a big walleye out of Pigeon in the last few years? Biggest I've landed is around 62-63cm. Nothing crazy. Has anyone landed anything in the 70-75 range?

Just curious if there's even walleye like that in Pigeon since the re-introduction program.

Red Bullets
01-06-2020, 10:05 AM
Has anyone landed a big walleye out of Pigeon in the last few years? Biggest I've landed is around 62-63cm. Nothing crazy. Has anyone landed anything in the 70-75 range?

Just curious if there's even walleye like that in Pigeon since the re-introduction program.

I saw a 12 or 13 lb. walleye in a F&W boat at Pigeon that the F&W CO's confiscated from someone. When I asked how much of a fine the guy got I was told the guy lost his boat and had a court appearance. They took his boat because he has hidden the fish in it.

SNAPFisher
01-06-2020, 11:45 AM
I saw a 12 or 13 lb. walleye in a F&W boat at Pigeon that the F&W CO's confiscated from someone. When I asked how much of a fine the guy got I was told the guy lost his boat and had a court appearance. They took his boat because he has hidden the fish in it.

Wow, big hit! And, big fish!
That is unusually large for Pigeon nowadays.

Iromanchuk, my biggest over the last couple of years have been 58-60 cm and only 2-3 fish if I recall correctly. I don't target them often unless I'm filling tags, and that is usually done on a single trip. Other than that I'm fishing for whites the remainder of the time.

capper
01-06-2020, 07:55 PM
24” (60cm) is the biggest I can remember catching at pigeon. We fish it 2-3 times a summer for the last 7-8 yrs. not too many over 60cm in my opinion. it’s more of a quantity then quality deal from my experience. Not too many lakes you can boat 100eyes in a day. Great Lake for the kiddos

Penner
01-07-2020, 07:57 AM
Past few index netting’s suggest a 60cm being about tops. I caught several 28”-30”ers back in the early 2000’s.

Talking moose
01-07-2020, 09:36 AM

In the 90’s?

Red Bullets
01-07-2020, 10:05 AM
In the 90’s?

Actually, around 2014.

Poppa
01-07-2020, 02:50 PM
the lack of true trophy Walleye (~30") in Alberta is such a shame...

SNAPFisher
01-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Pikeman .... what purpose does your post serve on here, really!

D.

Looks like my ignore list just increased by one Pikeman.

On another note, send us some of that warm air Zip. Looks like we are heading into a long cold snap ...shack wackies to follow!

Fishin' Fool
01-08-2020, 03:20 PM
What did snatchfisher fall thru the ice? To call our "world class" well managed walleye factories a shame should surely elicit an immediate response from such a knowledgeable dude. Watch it, he'll tell ya to go back to McDonalds and work the grill. Bahaha.

You can always tell a poster is intelligent when they start with childish name-calling.
This entire post is a ad hominem attack, one of many logical fallacies used by those who are unable to use words to express their position intelligently.

You can read more about it here, mighty pikeman, if you ever care to improve yourself and learn how to communicate like a grown-up.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adhomine.html

RACKER
01-17-2020, 11:57 PM
I am hoping to hear back how thick the snow is out there and if vehicles are having a hard time getting around. I understand not too many ventured out in the cold but after this weekend I’m hoping for some feedback. I access the lake at Mulhurst. Hope all goes well for everyone who is getting out.

Talking moose
01-18-2020, 12:21 AM
I am hoping to hear back how thick the snow is out there and if vehicles are having a hard time getting around. I understand not too many ventured out in the cold but after this weekend I’m hoping for some feedback. I access the lake at Mulhurst. Hope all goes well for everyone who is getting out.

Buddy of mine just pulled his camper on the Ice at mulhurst couple days back.... it’s sitting there now about 300 yards out.

RACKER
01-26-2020, 09:59 AM
I was wondering what everyone else is experiencing for walleye movement during the day. This year is the absolute slowest ever for sightings on camera I’ve had. I always had good luck at last light as well but for the first time yesterday I didn’t have one show up. I fish the point at Silver beach. If the snow wasn’t so bad I would hit up some different areas. Feedback from others would be welcome.

Bigwoodsman
01-26-2020, 10:41 AM
I was wondering what everyone else is experiencing for walleye movement during the day. This year is the absolute slowest ever for sightings on camera I’ve had. I always had good luck at last light as well but for the first time yesterday I didn’t have one show up. I fish the point at Silver beach. If the snow wasn’t so bad I would hit up some different areas. Feedback from others would be welcome.

Was out at the PP yesterday afternoon fished 4 lines. Never saw a fish lost one off of a tipup. Fished from 1Pm till well past dark nothing.

BW

RACKER
01-26-2020, 11:55 AM
Was out at the PP yesterday afternoon fished 4 lines. Never saw a fish lost one off of a tipup. Fished from 1Pm till well past dark nothing.

BW

I never have had luck at the PP area from the middle of December on. Summer it’s crazy but winter is a ghost area.

Talking moose
01-26-2020, 12:10 PM
I find pigeon in the summer is 50 fish days and winter is slow as slow can be.

Bigwoodsman
01-26-2020, 12:40 PM
I never have had luck at the PP area from the middle of December on. Summer it’s crazy but winter is a ghost area.

I’ve not fished it twice. I guess I’m going to have to do some exploring. Three weeks a go I did fairly well in the same area.

BW

ssyd
01-26-2020, 07:08 PM

Took mom and the girlfriend out to that exact spot today on advice from a friend to fill some class C tags with jig heads and minnows. Not a single fish on the camera all day. In 5 hours we had one hit on a tip-up that didn't set the hook.

Snow was fairly heavy and had to tiptoe around snow drifts but never really came close to getting stuck.

SamSteele
01-26-2020, 08:18 PM
It was a slow day for us as well. Ended up with 3 for the 3 hours we were there. Lots coming in and checking things out on the flasher, but not a lot of takers.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/253954c5cda5a1bfca6b46a824bb5969.jpg

OL_JR
01-26-2020, 10:45 PM
Haven't fished pigeon in a couple of years but the drop off in front of Grandview has generally been pretty good to me.

Walleye have really short feeding windows in the dead of winter. I don't know how many times I've been on a walleye lake and everyone is heading out while the bite is just beginning. Generally pretty short and nuts for the most part. Fishing is fishing and nothing is 100% gospel but I feel if you aren't packing up well after dark you haven't given yourself the best shot.

If I'm just fishing for walleye and want to avoid a lot of dead time I'll avoid the morning bite, do something more productive with my day and head out in the afternoon. Getting into March I'm more willing to put a full day in. Just my two cents.

caltheim
01-27-2020, 10:58 AM
Any one out to Pigeon this weekend? Wondering how the snow is, I heard that there was quite a bit after the snowfalls over the past week.

I assume that there is lots of ice now!

SamSteele
01-27-2020, 10:59 AM
Any one out to Pigeon this weekend? Wondering how the snow is, I heard that there was quite a bit after the snowfalls over the past week.

I assume that there is lots of ice now!

Lots of hard drifts and floodwater in some areas. I took a sled and quad out. A guy drove to where we were with his truck but it looked like there were some tough points when I followed his tracks out.

doublehaul
01-27-2020, 02:21 PM
I was at mulhurst Saturday, there is enough snow to get stuck. About 10” of settled snow.

If you have good tires and a good 4x4 you should be fine.

The problem is driving slow or when it warms up and the snow is heavier.

Take a shovel and drive at a steady safe speed

There is about 18” of ice

Skoaltender
01-27-2020, 06:31 PM
Anyone having any luck fishin the humps lately?

ssyd
01-31-2020, 06:09 PM
Gonna head out there tomorrow afternoon for the evening light change. Anyone got any tips for fishing out of Mulhurst so I don't get skunked twice in a row? I'd appreciate a PM if you don't wanna share your secrets publicly.

RACKER
01-31-2020, 09:27 PM
Fished this evening at Silver Beach and for the first time ever out there I got skunked. This has been a weird season. I understand that fish move around but this area always had produced during Jan/Feb. I have had slower days but not a thing on camera or flasher. Not even a bite or trip on the jawjacker. I want to check out some spots that were good but don’t want to get stuck or beat the crap out of the truck. I’m hoping others have had some luck in other parts of the lake. Good luck to everyone that heads out there.

fish99
02-01-2020, 01:18 PM
Anyone having any luck fishin the humps lately?

quite a few fishing for a Friday

Moose Dog
02-01-2020, 04:12 PM
Out at Mulhurst yesterday - only managed one skinny pike around sundown, no walleye. Would have been a decent sized pike but it looked like it hadn't had a meal in awhile...

MaxxPower
02-03-2020, 08:44 AM
Fished Silver Beach on Sat. from 12-6:30, 13 walleye day in the super wind.
22" of ice.

RACKER
02-03-2020, 09:43 AM
Fished Silver Beach on Sat. from 12-6:30, 13 walleye day in the super wind.
22" of ice.

Good for you. I’m happy you had some luck. Too bad for the crappy weather.

CDNOutdoorsman
02-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Grandview has been very poor as of late as well. Hopefully things pick up soon.
Last sunday went to Gull, Sandy Point, 1 walleye all day, seen 2 little perch as well.
Very quiet lately.

BigPapaBear
02-06-2020, 09:01 AM
Just wondering if anyone has driven on out of Mulhurst this week and how the snow is? Thanks :)

Bigwoodsman
02-06-2020, 10:37 AM
Heading out Saturday for my 3rd time ever on Pigeon. First couple of time were over by the PP. My first trip I did ok, seen Walleye and caught Walleye. Then I get my self some undersubscribed class C tags, and nothing. Going to try the Silver Beach side on Saturday.

BW

SNAPFisher
02-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Just wondering if anyone has driven on out of Mulhurst this week and how the snow is? Thanks :)

I was out on the weekend and it was a lot better than the week before. The snow is packed down now. You have to work around some of the drifts. If you get into one of the drifts, it takes work to get out.

BigPapaBear
02-07-2020, 08:01 AM
Perfect, I will make sure the shovel is in the truck. Good Luck

Brandonkop
02-07-2020, 06:59 PM
It was a slow day for us as well. Ended up with 3 for the 3 hours we were there. Lots coming in and checking things out on the flasher, but not a lot of takers.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/253954c5cda5a1bfca6b46a824bb5969.jpgLove the pic of the kids!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

-JR-
02-08-2020, 10:40 AM
The walleye sure don't bite much come winter in pigeon.
It really is all about the lack of bait fish in this lake for them to go deep where every one things they are in winter.

Why do they go deep : water temp, and its darker as they do not like sunlight.

What pigeon is missing in this lake is bait fish for them to feed on in deep holes .

I have never heard of the government releasing minnows into our lakes to feed walleye in a catch and release lakes or at the least a lake like pigeon.

I also can not remember seeing any minnows in this lake like it used to be .

To find these walleye one needs to go where the bait is .
My guess, they are shallow beside the weeds just west of the provincial camp grounds.

Good luck and enjoy this weather .

JR

buckmaster
02-09-2020, 10:00 AM
We fished by zeiner yesterday. We got 1 walleye during the day and managed to fill a few tags in the evening; the bite was very slow. Ice was measured at 16'' with some flood water and drifts.

BigPapaBear
02-09-2020, 10:56 AM
Was out at Silver Beach yesterday and the walleye didn't even show up until an hour after sunset, then filled a couple of tags.

Bigwoodsman
02-09-2020, 11:10 AM
Was out at Silver Beach yesterday and the walleye didn't even show up until an hour after sunset, then filled a couple of tags.

I set up on Silver Beach yesterday. Arrived at 0800 set up and fishing by 830. Two rods in the tent first 55cm walleye at 10:45. I had two rods going in the tent between 1 and 5 I landed 16 Walleye filled one class C tag. While packing up around 6:30 filled a second tag. I’d of stayed later but had to be home by 8.

During the rush hour I had several double headers and lost way more than I caught. It was hands down the best walleye fishing I’ve experienced through the ice

BW

BigPapaBear
02-14-2020, 12:02 PM
Based on Bigwoodsman's great day, I might try setting up earlier. Has anyone driven out to Silver Beach this week since we had that snow and wind? Thanks

Bigwoodsman
02-14-2020, 12:07 PM
Based on Bigwoodsman's great day, I might try setting up earlier. Has anyone driven out to Silver Beach this week since we had that snow and wind? Thanks

I caught most of my fish between 1:00 and 5:00.

BW

l.c.mitchell
02-14-2020, 03:27 PM

Drifts are bad out there
Doable but keep an eye out
You got blown in last Sunday had to buy another set of chains
But then again winds aren’t usually 75k+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

l.c.mitchell
02-14-2020, 03:27 PM
*i got blown in

SNAPFisher
02-14-2020, 03:53 PM
I'm going to skidoo it this weekend. Just cause...

dend
02-16-2020, 04:10 PM
Second day out on the lake. Mulhurst first afternoon, nothing. Sitting in the tent now trying to find tips to get some tags filled. Will stay late tonight seems to be a good strategy. Decided on PP today, and so did alot of others. So well see how the evening goes.

FlyTheory
02-16-2020, 07:25 PM
Second day out on the lake. Mulhurst first afternoon, nothing. Sitting in the tent now trying to find tips to get some tags filled. Will stay late tonight seems to be a good strategy. Decided on PP today, and so did alot of others. So well see how the evening goes.

We got a 45cm walleye and nothing else

dr.crentist
02-19-2020, 08:25 PM
Went out to Mulhurst at the beginning of the month and also this last weekend. Got a 16" Walleye then and got played by a bigger Pike this last time, he just circled and waited then disappeared only to come out of nowhere to hit the bait and leave the hook. I have some C-tags to fill so I'd like to go out there again. Would like to try a different area this next time.

RACKER
02-19-2020, 08:36 PM
Went out to Mulhurst at the beginning of the month and also this last weekend. Got a 16" Walleye then and got played by a bigger Pike this last time, he just circled and waited then disappeared only to come out of nowhere to hit the bait and leave the hook. I have some C-tags to fill so I'd like to go out there again. Would like to try a different area this next time.

I wish ya luck. Mulhurst seems to be the only safe area to drive on. There are trails to other parts but if ya have to pass someone you can get planted in a hurry. The only place I haven’t tried to drive on is Grandview. If you have a skidoo there are a lot of good places to try. Now if I only had one. Hope ya get to fill your tags.

Red Bullets
02-19-2020, 09:00 PM
I wish ya luck. Mulhurst seems to be the only safe area to drive on. There are trails to other parts but if ya have to pass someone you can get planted in a hurry. The only place I haven’t tried to drive on is Grandview. If you have a skidoo there are a lot of good places to try. Now if I only had one. Hope ya get to fill your tags.

Have you tried getting on at Johnsonia beach? A mile west of AJ's Trading Post and straight south. Road follows frontage going east when you get to the launch.

RACKER
02-19-2020, 09:45 PM
Have you tried getting on at Johnsonia beach? A mile west of AJ's Trading Post and straight south. Road follows frontage going east when you get to the launch.

No i havent Thanks for the info as I appreciate all the help.I can usually get on somewhere but travelling any distance out is the problem.

RACKER
02-27-2020, 07:34 PM
Has anyone driven out to the point at Silver beach within the last few days?It was really bad 3 weeks ago and i was hoping there was some traffic out there to make a decent path.

dr.crentist
02-27-2020, 08:49 PM
I’d like to hit Pigeon this weekend as well, any updates would be welcome. Just going to the Mulhurst side

Bigwoodsman
03-14-2020, 04:06 PM
Went out to Pigeon Lake today. There is about 7 inches of crusted snow on top of a foot is sugar. I got out about 1 km from the Mulhurst boat launch and snow golf course and buried myself in a drift got high centred. Took out the shovel and dug myself out, after an hour or so was turned around and back on my track. Decide to come home. Was a nice drive and got away from the COVID 19 news for a few hours.

Now I need to find a snowmobile!

BW

-JR-
03-14-2020, 04:24 PM
Went out to Pigeon Lake today. There is about 7 inches of crusted snow on top of a foot is sugar. I got out about 1 km from the Mulhurst boat launch and snow golf course and buried myself in a drift got high centred. Took out the shovel and dug myself out, after an hour or so was turned around and back on my track. Decide to come home. Was a nice drive and got away from the COVID 19 news for a few hours.

BW

This is why i sold all my ice fishing stuff last year.
Buy a sled and a trailer then find a place to store it - nope
It was a long ****ing winter believe me !
Its going to be a great summer. With the low fuel prices I will be at the lake every day

Penner
03-14-2020, 04:39 PM
This is why i sold all my ice fishing stuff last year.
Buy a sled and a trailer then find a place to store it - nope
It was a long ****ing winter believe me !
Its going to be a great summer. With the low fuel prices I will be at the lake every day

Amen brother!

dr.crentist
03-14-2020, 10:17 PM

BW

That golf tourney sure made for a rough morning navigating around but we managed to find a spot and set up shop. They mentioned someone got very stuck trying to fish so we should take it easy. Either way, we got skunked but saw some walleye and burbot. Pigeon hasn’t been very productive for us this year but then again I’m new to this.

l.c.mitchell
03-14-2020, 10:19 PM

BW

Brilliant my man

Jigsalot
03-17-2020, 04:41 PM
Might head there Friday. Just wondering if there is good trails to follow. Better get out on the ice away from the plague before the government closes that too. The walleye might catch the virus. Lol

RACKER
03-17-2020, 08:09 PM
Was wondering if anyone has been able to drive out there on a quad.Im really hoping to get out to the middle a couple times before the season is finished and i dont have a skidoo.Good luck to everyone heading out for the last 2 weeks.

ICURNVS
03-21-2020, 06:19 PM
Anyone have a report on the access at Grandview? Looking to get out tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

RACKER
03-22-2020, 05:05 PM
Finally was able to make it out to my favourite spot in the middle for the first time this ice season and it has been unreal compared to the last 10 outings. I had fish on camera the first hole I checked for structure and had one on the jawjacker before I even set up. I’ve caught a 15 so far and they have been all different class sizes. First time for me this year that they have been aggressive. It’s a relief to have a great day after a lot of terrible trips this year. Hope others are having just as good as me.

Bigwoodsman
03-22-2020, 05:15 PM
Finally was able to make it out to my favourite spot in the middle for the first time this ice season and it has been unreal compared to the last 10 outings. I had fish on camera the first hole I checked for structure and had one on the jawjacker before I even set up. I’ve caught a 15 so far and they have been all different class sizes. First time for me this year that they have been aggressive. It’s a relief to have a great day after a lot of terrible trips this year. Hope others are having just as good as me.

Glad to hear you’re having a decent day. Did you drive out or sled?

BW

RACKER
03-22-2020, 09:39 PM
Glad to hear you’re having a decent day. Did you drive out or sled?

BW

Drove out on a quad from Mulhurst.

SNAPFisher
03-23-2020, 06:39 AM
No whites at the end of this season. Came close though. Walleye though. Hitting my tiny little WW hooks with wreckless abandon. Each time I thought it was a white chasing. They are aggressive right now.

Trucks were getting on again yesterday as the snow is softening nicely. Should be better travel on Pigeon from here out.

I'm looking elsewhere...just need to figure out where that is...

riderprider
03-23-2020, 10:08 AM
Hey snapfisher. Do you mind me asking where people were accessing with trucks?

dr.crentist
03-23-2020, 10:43 AM
Hey snapfisher. Do you mind me asking where people were accessing with trucks?

You shouldn't have any trouble getting on from Mulhurst. Last week people were driving on with Mazda 3s and Jettas. The ice golf tourney folks plowed the roads so it is easy access to plenty of good spots

riderprider
03-23-2020, 11:41 AM
Thank you sir! Don’t even care if I catch anything. Just need to get out.

Bigwoodsman
03-24-2020, 01:59 PM
No whites at the end of this season. Came close though. Walleye though. Hitting my tiny little WW hooks with wreckless abandon. Each time I thought it was a white chasing. They are aggressive right now.

Trucks were getting on again yesterday as the snow is softening nicely. Should be better travel on Pigeon from here out.

I'm looking elsewhere...just need to figure out where that is...

Was there any flood water? Thinking of heading out Friday evening after work and doing a camp out for a night or two.

BW

wellsite
03-24-2020, 04:52 PM
On the lake now. Yes, after drilling holes, you might encounter some flood water. At least on the Mulhurst side where I am.

Bigwoodsman
03-24-2020, 05:03 PM
On the lake now. Yes, after drilling holes, you might encounter some flood water. At least on the Mulhurst side where I am.

Thanks for the info. Are you catching anything?

BW

wellsite
03-24-2020, 05:44 PM
Nothing yet. Only seen one walleye

dr.crentist
03-24-2020, 08:22 PM
We’re you the white Ford or dark Chevy?

Jigsalot
03-24-2020, 08:29 PM
Spent the afternoon out there today. Super easy to drive around. About 6 inches of snow on top of the ice and we did not see any Flood water. I think the walleye have the covid. Very slow but they are there. Nice sunny afternoon

dr.crentist
03-24-2020, 08:35 PM
Spent the afternoon out there today. Super easy to drive around. About 6 inches of snow on top of the ice and we did not see any Flood water. I think the walleye have the covid. Very slow but they are there. Nice sunny afternoon

You were the white Ford?

Jigsalot
03-24-2020, 08:54 PM
You were the white Ford?
I was not at Mulhurst. Drive chev

wellsite
03-24-2020, 09:03 PM
White Ford.....

dr.crentist
03-24-2020, 10:36 PM
White Ford.....

You drove past us on your way out, black and white F150's, eskimo tent. Did you have any luck today?

wellsite
03-25-2020, 07:58 AM
1 pike, 2 walleye swam thru....not interest. And you?

Gbuss
03-25-2020, 09:50 AM
How is the snow on the mill Hurst side of the lake

dr.crentist
03-25-2020, 10:07 AM
How is the snow on the mill Hurst side of the lake

fairly packed down but also has lots of roads plowed every which way because of the golf tourney a few weeks ago. two wheel drive does it on those

dr.crentist
03-25-2020, 10:11 AM
1 pike, 2 walleye swam thru....not interest. And you?

We got two walleye, one at quarter to 6 and one at quarter to 9, and a small jack earlier in the day. A larger jack hit us a few times and did its thing for a while, darting in and hovering around the camera. Yesterday was very slow in the camera. I've been out similar time of day on the 19th, 20th, and 23rd, it was very busy on the camera, 3 at a time even, and we caught more fish.

Bigwoodsman
03-25-2020, 11:27 AM
My plan is to head out Friday afterwork, and fish the evening and overnight. First time all year that I've had the time for an overnight, looking forward to it. Hope the fish are biting.

BW

RACKER
03-25-2020, 12:05 PM
My plan is to head out Friday afterwork, and fish the evening and overnight. First time all year that I've had the time for an overnight, looking forward to it. Hope the fish are biting.

BW

Good luck on your outing. I never done an overnight stay. I’m heading outing for sure this weekend to the spot where I had unreal action on Sunday.

antler hunter
03-26-2020, 10:05 AM
lots of snow on the ice? can a guy move around easily with a pick up?

Soiler
03-26-2020, 02:24 PM
Was out on both Sunday and Tuesday evening, had to shovel once on both nights. So keep your head up, the drifts are pretty deep in spots. Once when trying to get around the snow golf snow banks and once out off of Sandholm point. It’s tough getting around in spots.

cube
03-27-2020, 09:00 PM
lots of snow on the ice? can a guy move around easily with a pick up?
There is lots of snow on the ice and getting around other than on sled or quad is tough. I have tried both Mulhurst and P Park side and neither is easy unless sticking to the beaten paths. Spoke to a guy who tried Grandview but thought it to tough and rough so he went to the beaten path at Mulhurst. I tried to get on at Mameo but there was a guy stuck not 10 feet in.

cube
03-27-2020, 09:04 PM
Does anyone know if they have locked the provincial park. ie can some one still access the lake via the Prov. Park?

doublehaul
03-27-2020, 09:22 PM
I wouldn’t count on Being able to use the provincial park access

Jigsalot
03-27-2020, 09:57 PM
There is lots of snow on the ice and getting around other than on sled or quad is tough. I have tried both Mulhurst and P Park side and neither is easy unless sticking to the beaten paths. Spoke to a guy who tried Grandview but thought it to tough and rough so he went to the beaten path at Mulhurst. I tried to get on at Mameo but there was a guy stuck not 10 feet in.

I was at the P park the other day and I posted a report. Was all the way to the 30 foot depth and settled at the drop off. If you have been there you know where it is. Simple to drive around. Don’t need to stick to the trail. 6 inches of snow on top of the ice. You must of tried a while back. Car might have trouble. But doesn’t matter now I’m seeing. Closed

Bigwoodsman
03-27-2020, 10:04 PM
I’m on Pigeon right now. Dropped a line about 30 minutes ago. Access is rough as hell, if anyone heads out to Silver Beach stop by I need some muscle to get my topper back on my truck. It’ll take 5 minutes and if you have a crescent wrench that would be handy too. I’d be very grateful for your assistance.

Beautiful night sitting on about 10 feet of water lots of ice. BBQ’d up some ribs for supper. Delicious eats. Going to be a good night on the lake.

BW

sns2
03-28-2020, 06:56 AM
I’m on Pigeon right now. Dropped a line about 30 minutes ago. Access is rough as hell, if anyone heads out to Silver Beach stop by I need some muscle to get my topper back on my truck. It’ll take 5 minutes and if you have a crescent wrench that would be handy too. I’d be very grateful for your assistance.

Beautiful night sitting on about 10 feet of water lots of ice. BBQ’d up some ribs for supper. Delicious eats. Going to be a good night on the lake.

BWHow's the fishing, BW?

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

cube
03-28-2020, 07:16 AM
I was at the P park the other day and I posted a report. Was all the way to the 30 foot depth and settled at the drop off. If you have been there you know where it is. Simple to drive around. Don’t need to stick to the trail. 6 inches of snow on top of the ice. You must of tried a while back. Car might have trouble. But doesn’t matter now I’m seeing. Closed

I was there twice this week and found as soon as you get away from the beaten path to the drop off getting around in a truck is difficult. If you are just getting to the drop off there is no problem but I found the fishing slow there.

Tx for the reply I guess I will have to execute plan C or D now. My plan A is usually run and gun but with out a sled that is certainly out.

Good luck out there.

Bigwoodsman
03-28-2020, 07:29 AM
How's the fishing, BW?

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

The bite is on right now!

BW

Bigwoodsman
03-28-2020, 08:28 AM
Got the topper back on the truck. If you’re out this way stop.

Two caught and released so far since day break.

BW

StringTheory
03-28-2020, 09:23 AM
I launched from Mulhurst on Thursday with the atv. The snow was soft from the sun and quite deep in places. Easy to dig yourself in and get stuck if you backed off the throttle. Burned quite a bit of gas trying to out to the humps in the middle for the evening bite but didnt actually make it. Hit spots of floodwater and after getting stuck 4 or 5 times on my way there I gave up. People on sleds were moving around fairly easily though.

Tried silver beach and around the launch at mulhurst until 7pm but didnt mark a thing. Spent too much time digging. Oh well, open waters right around the corner!

SNAPFisher
03-28-2020, 09:43 AM
I launched from Mulhurst on Thursday with the atv. The snow was soft from the sun and quite deep in places. Easy to dig yourself in and get stuck if you backed off the throttle. Burned quite a bit of gas trying to out to the humps in the middle for the evening bite but didnt actually make it. Hit spots of floodwater and after getting stuck 4 or 5 times on my way there I gave up. People on sleds were moving around fairly easily though.

Tried silver beach and around the launch at mulhurst until 7pm but didnt mark a thing. Spent too much time digging. Oh well, open waters right around the corner!

I was out in the middle on the sled. Got there nice and early, drill first hole, hit dirt...probably from someone's truck earlier in the year. No chance to see it. Auger, dulled. I have a new set of blades at home so begged the wife to drive them out to the service station at by Sandholm. Back to fishings shortly after :) Stuck to the middle. Seen one white in the morning...came close, that's it. Pigeon handed me back an @ss kicking this year. Super nice day out though. Really enjoyed it regardless. And, I'll have to change it up next year. Out deep was not the thing this year.

Owe the wife now. So today I'm cleaning the house and she can relax.

RACKER
03-28-2020, 09:54 AM

I drove out to the middle friday afternoon with the quad and it was a little tough going in spots but not too bad.And on the return trip back it was nasty.I followed my trail thinking it would be packed some so my sled wouldnt be dragging so bad.I hit alot of floodwater and dam near got stuck in 3 areas-had the old honda pinned for a good km till i got about 200 yds from the paths at Mulhurst.The fishing was a little slow from 2-4 but really picked up after that.It was weird that some walleye were really agressive and nailed the jig instantly where others bumped it for awhile.Caught 2 really nice thick pike as well.Good luck to all that head out this weekend.

General Practitioner
03-29-2020, 06:45 AM
I was planning to fish the drop off at the provincial park today with my 2 young boys, but I guess that option is now out.

We will be walking on. Is there anywhere else on the lake where they will have a decent chance of catching a fish without having to get too far out onto the lake?

Not looking for your honey hole, just want to have a general idea where they might have a chance as we’ve only ever walked on at the provincial park in the past.

Jigsalot
03-29-2020, 07:33 AM
I was planning to fish the drop off at the provincial park today with my 2 young boys, but I guess that option is now out.

We will be walking on. Is there anywhere else on the lake where they will have a decent chance of catching a fish without having to get too far out onto the lake?

Not looking for your honey hole, just want to have a general idea where they might have a chance as we’ve only ever walked on at the provincial park in the past.

Not sure how the conditions are at Grandview. It’s usually good to fish that area. Maybe someone can tell us if the entrance is open. It should be and just down the road from the Provincial Park

yetiseeker
03-30-2020, 12:38 PM
Grandview access is good - no issues.