PDA

View Full Version : First shot at the Bow

Beazer
07-21-2009, 12:33 AM
So I finally got off my but and went out to try fishing Monday at the bow.
Went by Dunbow road underneath the overpass.

I was honestly surprised at the actual speed of the river, really made my normal technique useless.

Didn't get super hardcore into it, just wanted to get a good first experience.

Even a mckenzie boat floated past goin like a bat out of hell.

I used mostly Rapala floaters and cd's, and team esko's.
No luck aside from losing a rainbow xrap6, lol. Buddy's fault on a bad knot.
Fished till past dark. Interesting experience but it was humbling.

I'm kind of confused how to approach this river with it flowing so fast.
Must be quite difficult to have a finesse set-up and be succesful.

Anyways, i'll give it another go, hopefully i can figure out where to catch something other than those giant cricket things.

CatchandRelease
07-21-2009, 05:26 AM
well your using the right rapalas for the bow but i find ill have better success on them later in the year when the fish become more aggressive during the spawn. What size were u using? I find this time of year a rapala 2-3" works best but when spawn hits up the size to 4-5". Another lure ive always found works good on the Bow is a red and white spoon. Thats all i usually fish for spinning gear is rapalas and red and white spoons, but i dont break that stuff out till spawning time i fly fish the rest of the time.

What you may want to try is some flies under a float. If so try to get that fly about 7-9ft down from the float and THEE best fly/lure for the Bow and im sure many will agree is the San Juan Worm. Hands down most effect fly for the river.

Good Luck
C&R

Beazer
07-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Using 2 and 3" Rapala's.
I might just try that floater technique.
Might have to invest in a good set of waders now though.

Scott N
07-21-2009, 11:46 AM
I normally fly fish the Bow and one tip I will give up is that the fish are usually holding right on the bottom of the river. With flies (nymphs at least) it's important that they are bouncing along the bottom. Try using something like a buzz bomb to make sure your lure is deep enough.

Penner
07-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Fly fishing is really the way to go on the Bow but spin casting methods can still catch good numbers of fish. The key to remeber only 10% of the water contains 90% of the fish. Large bends, back eddies, current breaks, flats, etc. are key area's to focus on. As Scott N mentioned getting close to the bottom is critical.

Caution with the fly fishing stuff, it can get very addictive!

Dyslexic
07-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Fished Alberta all 40 years of my life. Still a stream fisherman with a simple spinner and 6, 8 and 10 lbs test lines.....that said, when you hit the Bow and fish in the faster waters you really need to use a SILVER BUZZ BOMB; it has seriously never let me down....the Bow is (for the most part) a flyfisherman's river, but for non-fly guys like me, just bomb it upstream and yard it in giving the old rod pump.....reading these forums make me want to give the fly fishin a try....seems like alot of thinkin involved!! :scared:

Hint: go upstream from Dunbow Road Bridge to the curve...

Beazer
07-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Thats twice I've come up on buzzbombs.
I forgot to grab some last time I was at wholesale sports.

Thanks for the hint D.