PDA

View Full Version : Super Magnum spring?

trigger7mm
01-05-2020, 05:53 PM
I trying the super magnum kill springs for the first time, and caught my first three coyotes using them today. One had a very large rip in his neck where the snare wire was. I never had this happen before on any of the hundreds of coyotes I’ve caught n the past. Is this a fairly common occurrence? If so, they are getting shelved. Thanks for the input.

bucksnbears
01-05-2020, 09:07 PM
Can't image he spring having anything to do with that?

trigger7mm
01-05-2020, 11:31 PM
Just wondering if it may be sucked the cable in too tight?

HunterDave
01-06-2020, 12:14 AM
Just wondering if it may be sucked the cable in too tight?

I don’t use them but I highly doubt the Spring would have caused it by pulling the cable too tight. A coyote pulls the cable a lot tighter than the strength of the torsion spring. I’ve had big ones almost open 280 lb BADs. To make the noose tighter you’d need a spring stronger than the force already exerted on the noose.

Marty S
01-06-2020, 01:03 AM
I’m probly at about 600 killed with the Supermagnums. I haven’t seen such a thing yet. All with Lightning Locks. All I see regularly is very, very straight cables.

trigger7mm
01-06-2020, 12:19 PM
I haven’t taken a really close look at it yet, but the damage may very well have been caused by a recent injury. Poor buggers day might have gone from bad to worst.

aardvaark
01-12-2020, 10:32 PM
Do the supermagnums kill better than the magnums? I’ve been using magnums and time after time the site is all tore up, they were obviously alive for quite a while. Prolly 2 or 3 out of ten that die quick and often as not that’s cuz of entanglement.

The pic of the raven is to prove that Marty’s springs don’t always fire.

Marty S
01-13-2020, 01:28 AM
They aren’t supposed to fire for ravens. Even dogs that don’t battle the snare have a chance to survive the experience.

I want the snare to lock up good and tight before the spring fires. If it fires too easily, it fires before solid lock up and reduced effectiveness.

Marty S
01-13-2020, 01:37 AM
X

shakeyleg02
01-13-2020, 05:14 AM
I dont have any supermags only a few magnums with only 1 snare set on a fence line.. the first dawg caught big purdy female did not fire the spring and was ZERO disturbance and laying off the side of the entrance ..second dawg wrapped up a bit and was found with its head against the post with fired spring ... ZERO trail disturbance

dgl1948
01-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Are these being tested for approval for use in Sask.

Reddog
01-13-2020, 11:19 AM
With a few Bridger and mostly lightning locks the only bad thing I can say about the super magnums is they are scary to cut off dead critters lol...come on Marty how about an unsettling tool for safety!! I have good confidence in an original magnum spring and good cam lock which is telling of how my experience is going with the super mags!

jeffreys 21234
01-13-2020, 11:46 AM
I wish we could run the senneker system in sask rather then the rams

kingrat
01-13-2020, 12:46 PM
I run both, the sennekers on my registered line and rams in the farm land. Other than size and cost I find them fairly equal in killing with the ram being slightly better. But I agree it would be nice to be able to run free hangers in the south.

jeffreys 21234
01-13-2020, 01:18 PM
Yea the prices makes a big difference since moving here I’ve been able to add more to the aresenal each season been trying to find a easier way for my wife an daughters to set the rams as both girls an the wife want to start trapping as they really enjoy being out with me once they are licenced I will just do the re setting of the rams sorry for the derail on the thread

aardvaark
01-13-2020, 06:47 PM
They aren’t supposed to fire for ravens. Even dogs that don’t battle the snare have a chance to survive the experience.

I want the snare to lock up good and tight before the spring fires. If it fires too easily, it fires before solid lock up and reduced effectiveness.

Sorry, Marty, that was meant to be a joke. Me really bad for not having put the ‘lol’ in there.

But I would like an answer to my question, if you have the stats for it: Does the super magnum kill oftener/better than the magnum?

Marty S
01-14-2020, 12:35 AM
With a Lightning lock and 1/16”... straight cables all day long. Coyote gets caught, bites cable a couple times, then lunges, then rendered unconscious.

I went to using up Magnum #22 spring snares and significant difference compared to results with Supermag #33. This will be HunterDavey worthy if my new lock hits the market.

kingrat
01-14-2020, 06:53 AM
When is this super secret best lock ever made gonna show its face Marty?