PDA

View Full Version : good boat dealers edmonton

brohymn2
07-21-2009, 11:13 AM
was looking to get a fishfinder installed on my boat and window shop a bit for a new boat id like to buy in a year or so, can anyone point me to who the reputible dealers are in the edmonton area, i already read about shipwreck and will be avoiding them like the plague, also anybody have any opinions and experiences with types of boats, im looking at something that is 18' and aluminum, was interested in hewescraft

thanks for the advice

-k

xtreme_lund
07-21-2009, 11:58 AM
My new boat took long time to find.

Shipwreck- I know first hand how useless that place is. Like you said avoid it like the plague.
Rainbow- My experience was pathetic. However I have read allot of good about them online and they have helped me with some service things since I bought my boat. Some complaints online are about an older guy in sales likely the same guy I found pathetic. I think he might be the owner as I am sure his name was Barry and the dealership right next door is named Barry Jays and they are owned by the same guy.
Barry Jay's- My sales person was what I remember to be very pushy. And if the owner is Barry the guy from the dealer next door I wouldn't deal with him.
Free Spirit- There are nicer boats out there even though there sales guys don't think so.
Atlantis- Thankfully it appears they have sank.

Anyway I could write a book on my experiences especially with Shipreck or Atlantis.

brohymn2
07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
so where would you go then? freespirit i take it, doesnt seem like the city's marine dealers are at the higher end of the spectrum

Rob
07-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I bought my Princecraft from Barry Jay's in '05 (right before they bought out Rainbow) and had no problems with them at all. All salesmen are "pushy" if you ask me, but they are just trying to sell a boat. I just researched the boat I wanted (between Lund, Princecraft and Crestliner), made my decision and then went to whatever dealership sold those boats.

You can do most (if not all) of your own homework, which really makes the salesman and dealership a non-issue.

As for making the deal and future servicing, again, no problems with them. They gave me a great price, compared to other boats I looked at across the country, and they threw in $500 worth of "water-toys" from their store next door. As a side note, I opted to mount my fish finder and trolling motor myself (very easy and mounted how and where you want)

And, knock on wood, I have not had a single problem with anything about my boat in the 4 years I've owned it. Nothing. I would buy another Princecraft from them, or anyone else in a heartbeat - now that I said that.......

Hope any of this helps, as I have been there myself a few times.

Safety D
07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Head to the States. Save yourself 5 grand and get the best service around...

LiegeRiver
07-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Head to the States. Save yourself 5 grand and get the best service around...

Any issues bringing a new boat/motor/trailer back across the line?

Gord

nicemustang
07-21-2009, 01:21 PM
It's really easy. Go to www.riv.ca to find out how. I did this for an SUV and pulled a two place quad trailer and 2 quads from Chicago. Good deals and saved 10K on the package.

My question is...where in states is a good place for price and selection?

xtreme_lund
07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I looked in the US and Rainbow matched the price I was offered down after I factored in fuel costs and the cost of duty on the trailer.

Rainbow had the best price but I took my money to Lac La Biche as I felt more comfortable buying from someone who new about the product. I somewhat regret this decision as since Rainbow has treated me better from the service end than Lac la Biche.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-21-2009, 01:24 PM
It's really easy. Go to www.riv.ca to find out how. I did this for an SUV and pulled a two place quad trailer and 2 quads from Chicago. Good deals and saved 10K on the package.

My question is...where in states is a good place for price and selection?

NOT BASS PRO SHOPS . ASK ME IN ABOUT 3 weeks when I return from Cabelas.

TimC
07-21-2009, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE
Rainbow- My experience was pathetic. However I have read allot of good about them online and they have helped me with some service things since I bought my boat. Some complaints online are about an older guy in sales likely the same guy I found pathetic. I think he might be the owner as I am sure his name was Barry and the dealership right next door is named Barry Jays and they are owned by the same guy.
QUOTE]

It's was me who had a bad experience with one of the sales person at Rainbow.:o (and yes it's was Barry)
However, Udo the store manager changed my mind about their shop at the end.

So, If you're looking for a boat, Rainbow Marine is worth a visit, JUST DON'T TALK TO BARRY!!!!!

By the way, i don't think Barry the sales is the owner, Udo took me to talk to the appeared to be owner and he was Korean.

Sooner
07-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Atlantis is not gone, they just joined their sister shop Shipwreck and work out of the same building. Pat in the sales dept at Barry Jays is a nice guy to deal with and yes Barry Jays owns Rainbow. Barry Jays seems to have a good service shop. Free spirit Marine on 99th st in Edmonton is a good shop too.

fickell
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Just bought a boat from coachworks rv in Nisku a month a go so far very good people

big zeke
07-21-2009, 08:15 PM
If he is, he is the guy you should be talking to. This guys is about the straightest shooter I have come across for boats and accessories. He is in business to make money so you have to be fair to him; if you are looking to waste his time he might cut you off. In my experiences, he stands by his word.

In terms of honesty, the list of his peers is very short.

Zeke

stuartmcgrandle
07-23-2009, 10:27 PM
looked around for a month carfully, had excellent experience and spent $18,000 at free spirit marine, the tupper family, thane in particular was very knowlegeable and non pushy, the crestliners are as good as a alund but 20% cheaper

acedave3
07-24-2009, 03:57 AM
I have purchased three new Lund boats over the years all through Rainbow Marine and have been treated fairly in all situations. I find their parts &service is excellent. Most important.......I love my Lunds!!!