PDA

View Full Version : 38kg Laker Netted

Mish
07-22-2009, 03:23 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2009/07/21/north-big-fish.html

A resident from Deline, N.W.T., out fishing with his son last Friday got more than he bargained for when he netted a fish that weighed approximately 38 kilograms (83 pounds).
George Kenny and his son Jordon, 13, caught the huge trout while fishing near Broken Plate Creek along the Great Bear Lake. The lake is home to the biggest lake trout in the world.
Kenny said his son was a bit startled when he first spotted the large trout.
“He was kind of … scared of it,” Kenny told CBC News on Monday. “But I told him it’s only a bit alive. It’s not going to do nothing.”
Kenny said the trout was badly tangled in the net. He tried to return the fish to the water but it wouldn’t come around. So he brought it back to Deline and weighed it.
Word of the large catch quickly spread through the community. People came out to see and photograph the giant fish.
Kenny said he caught an even bigger trout last year but he retuned that one to the water.
The Deline Land Corporation plans to mount the fish, Kenny said.

Jayball
07-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Big fish alright. Mighty big fish...

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Holy Cripes that thing is a Giant .

Curly Bill
07-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Looks like he swallowed a couple down rigger balls.

ACM
07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
amazing fish - great to hear he tried to return the fish to the lake. The iggest lake trout do not come from the Bear but Athabasca has the record. Wollaston also netted a 86 pounder about ten years ago. Northern Canadian lakes are great for fishing of all kind but lake trout especially!!!

cujo1969
07-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Wow that be nice to hook into. When u going out to catch a monster up there Mish?

Mish
07-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Man I wish. MacKenzie is too high and dirty this year, lots of rain and run off. And it costs a fortune to take the boat anywhere worth fishing...gas is 1.29 and diesel is 1.44...diesel was 66.8 when we left Calgary.

troutpirate
07-22-2009, 08:03 PM
net fishing on the best trophy lake trout lake in the world? when is the canadain govt going to grab some balls and fix their mistakes of the past and stop the slaughter?

gross:cry:

kreator
07-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Man, think about how old that fish is!!

fluxcore
07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
net fishing on the best trophy lake trout lake in the world? when is the canadain govt going to grab some balls and fix their mistakes of the past and stop the slaughter?

gross:cry:

it has been netted long before we arrived and called it a trophy lake

Cal
07-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I heard that that reccord trout from lake athabasca was a freak of nature and had no reproductive organs which allowed it to put on lots of weight instead of getting spawned out evey year. Maby the day will come when we can catch sexless monster trount on hooks that look like multi mouthed goldeye and we can all thank the tar sands for the great fishing:lol:

Mr Wiggles
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
It almost doesn't look like a trout!

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/07/21/north-big-fish.jpg

ACM
07-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Nets on GB are not a huge issue as the lake is large and traffic/pressure is very low. As time moves along that may change as it did for many southern lakes like La Ronge. La Ronge was a premiere fishery at one time and is now a ghost of a fishing lake and we still have not learned anything. Nets are everywhere as is commercial fishing and lest we sports guys point all our fingers go to Hunter Bay on a Saturday afternoon and witness about 100 boats fishing in the small walleye bay. Its disgusting!!!!

hirsche23
07-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Wow is la Ronge that bad?I was up ther a couple of times in '01-03 and don't remember it being that bad.Is Hunter bay and Pickerel Bay the same,we always fished pickerel bay nd I only remeber seeing a few boats.It is truly beautiful place though I wish I could go back.