PDA

View Full Version : Rod Shopping.

Cal
07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Arrg! I busted the tip off my main rod today! Dont take a huskey fishing in a canoe!! So I head over to check out the Walmart and Canadian Tire thinking I'll probably spend the money and get a pretty nice one. Since the action of the rod is way more important to me than the name on the rod and the price range I take down every rod I can find in Walmart and play with it a bit, then I head over to Canadian Tire and do the same. At the end of it all I am surprized to find I am trying to decide between a Berkley Lightning rod and a Shimano Sojourn, both under $40.

I'm sure at an actual tackle shop with a bit more selection and a good salesman I could have been talked into spending twice that much but I was amazed at how close performance wise some of the better mid range stuff was to the Fenwicks and Pfluegers etc. I realy did prefer the fast action and stiff backbone of those two rods to any of the other rods in the store. Eventualy went with the Shimano just cause its 6'6 and I've been using rods 7' and longer for so long that I cant remeber why I quit using the shorter onesin the first place.

Geezle
07-22-2009, 06:48 PM
I picked up the Sojourn rod in a combo with a Shimano Sidestab 2500 reel on sale at The Fishin' Hole for $50 a couple months back. I've only had it out a couple times, but so far I'm quite happy with it. Seems like you did good, hope you enjoy it! :D

Cal
07-22-2009, 07:55 PM
I dont think I like it quite as much as the shakespear agility that it replaced, that rod had a realy fast action and an uncomonly stiff backbone but a bit more fishing might change that opinion. I do realy like the rod.

DarkAisling
07-22-2009, 07:56 PM
I've got the Sojourn with the Sidestab 2500, too. I've only been playing with it in the backyard so far, but I'm pretty impressed for the price point. I was pretty pleased with what I paid . . . until I saw what Geezle paid!

marlin1
07-23-2009, 08:10 AM
I have used lightning rods for years and I love them . A little light for big fish but great action. The only complaint I have is the newer ones seem to wear out the line guides pretty fast. then again I fish a lot. I couldn't find a two piece rod either but this was in Montana . Do they have two piece ones where you were looking?

Cal
07-23-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm pretty sure the one I was playing with was a 2 peice but now you got me wondering. Do you use spiderwire? The first thing I did after buying the new rod was pull the spiderwire off my reel and put on some 10lb mono. Had I not broken my previous rod I would have had to change a few guides on it this winter and I was planning to change the line anyways as I dont want the line pickup on my reel shredded up as well. The spider wire had only been on since this spring and I was shying away from using that rod once I noticed the damage that was occuring.

The Fisherman Guy
07-23-2009, 10:35 AM
I gave up on the shimano's and the pflueger's after too many broken tips, eyelets, and poor action. I recently switched over to all Ugly Sticks, and I have never been happier. Robust, 5 year warranty, great action and feel.

I run a light action 6footer for Walleye, 54.99 at wholesale.

For salmon and lake trout I have a heavy?? action with big eyelets for long shore casting. With Power Pro line I can send a spoon 60 yards at least!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Check out the Carrot stick . You wont be disipointed .
As for line id use a flouro carbon like the Berkley vanish that stuff is very tuff .

marlin1
07-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm pretty sure the one I was playing with was a 2 peice but now you got me wondering. Do you use spiderwire? The first thing I did after buying the new rod was pull the spiderwire off my reel and put on some 10lb mono. Had I not broken my previous rod I would have had to change a few guides on it this winter and I was planning to change the line anyways as I dont want the line pickup on my reel shredded up as well. The spider wire had only been on since this spring and I was shying away from using that rod once I noticed the damage that was occuring.

no I use trilene Xt

Sheepcrazyguy
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
In 1981 I bought a 1 piece Ugly Stik. I've used and abused it every year since then. It's still my main fishing rod for around here. I use it for everything in Alberta.SCG

Cal
07-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Ya I dont mind the ugly sticks, they just felt a little club like compared to the two I mentioned despite costing a little more. The last three times I've bought a new rod I've had an uglystick in mind and ended up getting something else, probably if I had just bought one the first time I would still be using it. Took the new rod out for a spin today, was the slowest day I've had all year but by pulling out some oddball tactics in some oddball spots I managed to get 12 walleye. Rods nice.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Ya I dont mind the ugly sticks, they just felt a little club like compared to the two I mentioned despite costing a little more. The last three times I've bought a new rod I've had an uglystick in mind and ended up getting something else. Took the new rod out for a spin today, was the slowest day I've had all year but by pulling out some oddball tactics in some oddball spots I managed to get 12 walleye. Rods nice.

If your wanting something thats as durable as the Ugly stick but still have some good action Pick up the Berkley Rhyno . Fishin centre carrys them.

And after your first post go with the Lightining rod , that thing is my Favorite walleye rod of all time . ITs soooo sensitive , and the 7 ft is the cats meaw . Ive caught more fish on that rod then any other . Match it up with say 10 lb braided line backing of about 150 - yards and the remainder of the spool Berkley vanish , and you will have a fantastic walleye rod . But still durable to fight anything . Or for a beefyer rod look at the Berkley Rhyno . You wont be disipointed .

Cal
07-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Sorry BBJ I bought the Sojourn just to try a shorter rod, and because it looks more like my old rod so maby the wife won't notice that I got a new one. Did look at the Rhynos, I didnt notice them being much better than the uglystick but I did think they were noticibly heavyer.

JessePat
07-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Don't get rid of the rod that you broke the tip off of though! You can buy tip replacement kits and repair it. You never know when you may need to use it again in a pinch

mistamikel
07-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Don't get rid of the rod that you broke the tip off of though! You can buy tip replacement kits and repair it. You never know when you may need to use it again in a pinch

Go to the fishing hole and get your tip repaired, I broke my tip off of my mitchell rod and went there to get a new tip and they did it all for me in a few mins. On a side note I also have an ugly stick and love it, so much that I got my wife one too ( the breast cancer one thats pink and black) and she loves it.