PDA

View Full Version : Rapalas

DarkAisling
07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
What are Rattlin' Rapalas good for? We inherited a couple. We also received four XR-8s, and three XRS-6s. They don't look like anything I've ever used before. Well, all I've used before are spoons.

If someone could provide info on what they're used to catch, that would be great :)

bowfin
07-22-2009, 10:56 PM
anything thats swims good lures had good luck with pike and wallys using them

floppychicken
07-22-2009, 10:58 PM
What are Rattlin' Rapalas good for? We inherited a couple. We also received four XR-8s, and three XRS-6s. They don't look like anything I've ever used before. Well, all I've used before are spoons.

If someone could provide info on what they're used to catch, that would be great :)

:huh: What tha' ...

You've never used Raps before ? WOW, are you in for a treat !
The Rattlin' Raps have the bearings in them and make lot's of noise. Prefect for Murky water...and are my personal favorite. The XR series are 'Slashbaits' and they run around 3' to 6' feet while the RAPS normally run 5' to 8' feet (really depends on the lip). Both lures are WICKED when running them over, along and just outside of weed beds. You're likely going to produce 'bigger' fish with these lures as well....

Walleye and Pike Love em' both. Goldeye love the smaller Rattlin' Raps (Walleye / Pike pattern) and so do some of the bigger trout.

They're an awesome addition to your tackle and depending on the pattern and color, they can become the 'go to lure' when the fish are being finicky...

Cheers,

/FC...

Cal
07-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Great for pike as well as walleye. Because ratling raps sink you can count them down to fish deeper water. Also a less known use is that they are deadly when jigged verticly, most of my winter time pike are caught on ratling rapalas

DarkAisling
07-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the info. The other half has never used them either. He's only ever used spoons and spinners. His mother gave us her tackle, and there's some stuff in there that has us a little perplexed :o She was quite the angler up until very recently, so I'm sure there is lots of great stuff (that we just need to demystify).

nicemustang
07-23-2009, 09:57 AM
The XR models are x raps, those are newer in technology and are my favorite. Lots of action and great for pike. If they aren't the deep runners, you'll need to put some weight on them so they run deeper where the walleye and big pike are hanging out this time o year.

beermilk
07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
i got a few in my tackle box tried them maybe dozen time with no succes maybe i am fishing them totaly wrong i dunno lol

nicemustang
07-23-2009, 10:51 AM
It's a skill to be learned. Unless you're in the perfect place, there are techiques. If you're casting, a steady reel in won't do. You need to reel slow, stop, fast, stop, slow, stop, slow, stop, fast, etc...you get the idea. Same for trolling. To do this while trolling, just pull forward on rod tip, then let it go back. This wil stop or slow the action and most times that's when I get strikes. Shallow shads in spring, deep runners in summer.

Walleyes
07-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Although they do catch a few Walleye for the most part though all Rattlin' Raps are good for is having a Pike rip it off your line and saying good by to a $8.00 lure....

floppychicken
07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Although they do catch a few Walleye for the most part though all Rattlin' Raps are good for is having a Pike rip it off your line and saying good by to a $8.00 lure....

Well that's what "Braided Line and Leaders" are for... To ensure that my 60 or so RAP'S come back to me... :D

Cheers,

/FC...

BowBoy75
07-23-2009, 11:43 AM
While we're on the topic of Rapalas has anyone had a chance to use and catch anything on the new Clackin Raps? Real nice looking lure. Almost too nice to risk being snagged or lost. And at $11 a shot makes me wonder if I should even stock up on them. Bought a couple but haven't caught anything on them yet, just wondering if any have had any success with these lures.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/xtra/004_rapala.jpg

Walleyes
07-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Well that's what "Braided Line and Leaders" are for... To ensure that my 60 or so RAP'S come back to me... :D

Cheers,

/FC...

I geuss if you run braided line and leaders, personelly I don't use either. I stay far away from leaders when Walleye fishing just to much jewlery not a good idea,, and braided line pretty much has to be ran with leaders cause the smallest nick in it and that junk is rendered useless.

Of course this is just IMHO each to his or her own..

nicemustang
07-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Clackin raps. I too have bought some of them but the only one that works for me is an older wally diver one that I have, not rapala. Should be great for pike but when the water is clear I think they will be too noisy and too aggressive. And I haven't been to a dirty lake yet (sight of lure less than 3 feet of water).

floppychicken
07-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I geuss if you run braided line and leaders, personelly I don't use either. I stay far away from leaders when Walleye fishing just to much jewlery not a good idea,, and braided line pretty much has to be ran with leaders cause the smallest nick in it and that junk is rendered useless.

Of course this is just IMHO each to his or her own..

Really ?

Man, I feel exactly the opposite... I find that just the opposite is true with Monofilament. You nick that stuff and it's 'gone baby gone'... Also, why would anyone even attempt to use MONO WITHOUT a decent Snap swivel or strong 'discreet' leader ? Especially when targeting bigger fish, that just doesn't make sense,...at least to me anyway...

Albeit there is some pretty crappy braided line out there (I'll never use 'Spiderwire' again) but I love my FIRELINE and it's all I use when trolling or jigging for 'Toothy Fish'.

I suppose you are right... To each their own.

Cheers,

/FC...

Beazer
07-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Clackin Raps are incredible.

I just wish they made them smaller.

I used one for a couple days of a boat launch and now i need a new one as the colour is almost gone.

Trout tracker
07-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I have to agree with you Floppychicken, I myself am a fan of the braided. Great for when your'e playing in the weeds.

Duramaximos
07-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Albeit there is some pretty crappy braided line out there (I'll never use 'Spiderwire' again) but I love my FIRELINE and it's all I use when trolling or jigging for 'Toothy Fish'.

I suppose you are right... To each their own.

Cheers,

/FC...

Sorry to take this a little off topic, but what's the difference between these two braided lines.
Thanks!

nicemustang
07-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Sorry to take this a little off topic, but what's the difference between these two braided lines.
Thanks!

Not exactly sure, one is better than the other, as previously stated LOL. I also only use firewire crystal or smoke in all situations, everything I do. Bought mono once and lost lots of big fish because of it.

Beazer
07-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Power Pro and Fireline is the best braid's I've used.
But now I've switched to fluor for walleye and use Spiderwire and Berkley Vanish, trying Maxima next.

DarkAisling
07-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Clackin Raps are incredible.

I just wish they made them smaller.

I had a look at them in Canadian Tire today. I thought the same thing: that it would be nice if they had smaller ones. I don't need anything that big right now.

Beazer
07-24-2009, 12:31 AM
I caught a bunch of decent sized wally's when they weren't really biting.
I'm thinking it's the tail, which is quite tapered.
If your going barbed get the sureset hook version as well.
Don't know if it's better or worse if it doesn't have barbs.