PDA

View Full Version : Tips for catching burbot?

Jayball
07-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi all I am heading out to Pigeon tonight and I wanted to try my hand at burbot. Any advise on technique? What about their habits in midsummer... where can be they be found?

Any tips would be helpful... thx in advance,

Jay

jodycanfish
07-23-2009, 12:12 PM
smelt right on the bottom,depending if it is hot out they will be deep mostly around weed beds good luck

Jayball
07-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Sounds good... worms balls too maybe? Small hooks too due to size of mought? Can i have kids using a pikerel rig for walleye on one side of the boat and me with the smelt on the bottom for burbot on the other side of boat> or do burbot tend to shy away from areas where wallys are present?

burbotman14
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Its hard to tell on a lake where there are so many walleye. First of all there is not many burbot and second of all the walleye will eat smelts, minnows, leeches and anything else. I have fished pigeon for 10 years and I have caught 1 burbot, but it was six pounds. I have not tried night fishing a lot, but I'm sure the success rate is much higher.

Jayball
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
thx for reply... i figured getting one might hard. I saw many ice fishing out in front of the mulhurst area.

what about summer whites? Where they can be found in summer?

I only ask becuase my buddy bet me $100 i couldnt get a pike/wally/burbot and whitefish the same weekend (our idea of a grand slam).

allenford
07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
thx for reply... i figured getting one might hard. I saw many ice fishing out in front of the mulhurst area.

I only ask becuase my buddy bet me $100 i couldnt get a pike/wally/burbot and whitefish the same weekend (our idea of a grand slam).

personally I dont think you are going to have a chance to spend that 100 bill....:lol::lol::D:D

nicemustang
07-23-2009, 01:39 PM
I disagree. It can be done. I've done it on a lake in the winter before. Personally, if you had a boat, should be easy to catch the walleye and pike at Pigeon. Then wait until dark and should be easy to catch burbot at night. The whitefish might be the toughest as they are really picky from day to day. But isn't your best best to catch whites in the flats right off the PP launch or at the Mulhurst bay? Wire worm, small nightcrawl on a slip bobber? That's where I'd start. I've caught them on pickeral rigs or jig heads too in other lakes while fishing for walleye, so you never know.

happy perch fisher
07-23-2009, 01:47 PM

Your out 100 bucks lol. Odds of getting a burbot or whitefish right now are extremly low. Getting them together is like winning the lottery.

allenford
07-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I think it is pretty easy to get all of them in the winter within the same day.

Cal
07-23-2009, 02:21 PM
All the burbot I've caught in the summer have been on pickerel rigs and jigs and have come out of rivers mostly later towards fall. I dont think their scared of walley but you are going to have a pretty hard time winning that bet. I'd almost be willing to bet $100 that you couldnt catch just a whitefish out of pigion this weekend.

allenford
07-23-2009, 04:48 PM
All the burbot I've caught in the summer have been on pickerel rigs and jigs and have come out of rivers mostly later towards fall. I dont think their scared of walley but you are going to have a pretty hard time winning that bet. I'd almost be willing to bet $100 that you couldnt catch just a whitefish out of pigion this weekend.

I d like to bet $500.:lol::lol: