PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for Trout

Courier Dude
07-23-2009, 11:57 AM
I am trying to find a lake within 1 to 1 1/2 hours of Calgary that allows 14' boat/motor that will almost be a "guarantee"(i know this is a strong word) for my 7 year old daughter to catch her fish ever fish. Its seems that there are alot of lakes near by with Pike and Walleye, but i cant seem track one down with Trout thats worth going to (Ghost dam for example). Any help would be appreciated!!

jodycanfish
07-23-2009, 12:07 PM
I am trying to find a lake within 1 to 1 1/2 hours of Calgary that allows 14' boat/motor that will almost be a "guarantee"(i know this is a strong word) for my 7 year old daughter to catch her fish ever fish. Its seems that there are alot of lakes near by with Pike and Walleye, but i cant seem track one down with Trout thats worth going to (Ghost dam for example). Any help would be appreciated!!

Try upper or lower Kanansakis lakes

jp123
07-23-2009, 12:08 PM
A good candidate would definitely be Gap Lake just near Exshaw. It is actually located 11 kms. east of Canmore just off a Highway 1A. The Provincial record Rockie was caught here in 1991. Small boats are allowed and there. There are Rockies, Brookies, Rainbows & Browns here possibly the odd Bull as well. Good Luck!

Scott N
07-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Chain Lake west of Nanton sounds like the place you might be looking for.

MAC
07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
If you want the best chance at a rainbow try chain lakes west of Nanton. Theyre not big but I think your highest probability of catching.
The boat launch isnt bad and its about 1 1/2 hours from calgary.

Send me a PM if you need more detail

MAC

Courier Dude
07-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks all, i think i will try out Chain lake. Thanks for the tips!

smitty9
07-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Just wanted to chip in 2 cents:

I say good choice in picking Chain Lakes. I say that because I find Upper and Lower - particularly Lower - Kananskis Lakes very moody and quite difficult sometimes. Not a high probability choice, IMHO.

Smitty

Gillfisher
07-23-2009, 07:32 PM
I would go to Barrier Lake use a gang troll weedding band with a worm or ower bait.

Rick.
07-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Chain is as for sure as fishing can get. All fish will be small but I almost know she will get one or more. Took my four year old grandson to Pine coulee last Sunday and he caught his first and then proceeded to out fish me and my son. It was fantastic. He was watching the fish finder and reeling in one after another. I think he thought the finder was a wee game. Have fun and good luck. Rick.

slickinfinite
07-23-2009, 07:42 PM
I live right near Gap lake and grotto pond and I have fished them a few times and never caught nothing lol. Had bites and seen jumpers in grotto never in gap but spray lakes I have caught lots from shore so I think boating is a better bet for bigger fish.