PDA

View Full Version : How much tackle for a 3 day trip?

Rackmastr
07-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey Guys,

Heading to a fly-in camp in SK tomorrow for 3 days of fishing. I have a decent sized fully-stocked tackle box but trying to decide if I'll bring the full box or just a smaller box with some of the 'best' stuff in it.

Your thoughts? Its a walleye/pike camp...what would ya bring?

sheephunter
07-23-2009, 08:33 PM
2 Swim Whizz, 6 #4 Len Thompson, a couple muskie in-line spinners and a handful of jigs and some gulp and you're set! Well maybe a few crankbaits for walleye too. Did the lodge recommend any specific tackle?

btw, heard they are slaying big fish up there including a few over 50". I'm jealous! Good luck and have fun.

T-Bone
07-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Bottom bouncers for sure... Depending on how hot Phelps floaters

Rackmastr
07-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Got all packed up with 2 little trays of some of the favorites (including some reccomended stuff by the lodge) and then a few accessories and gear.

Should be set! Pics to follow when I return!

DarkAisling
07-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Being that it is a fly in camp, I might be inclined to take two of each of my most favourite: just in case one gets ripped off of the line.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Got all packed up with 2 little trays of some of the favorites (including some reccomended stuff by the lodge) and then a few accessories and gear.

Should be set! Pics to follow when I return!

Take Extra Leaders with you .Its simple less clothes more gear

Beazer
07-24-2009, 12:28 AM
You know, if you could I would bring the whole box.
Pike are easy, but those eyes can be finicky.
I would try to bring lots of extras as far as leaders, and an extra spool of line.
As said already, try to bring something that will work for both if space is an issue.

guidehunt
07-24-2009, 06:58 AM
if you are going for trophy pike get some titatiam leaders ,some plastics slugos ,topwater baits mepps #5 and bring your fly rod if you have one have fun .

jjstar
07-24-2009, 08:37 AM
bring several jigs with a bunch of scented twister tails in yellow and white variety. That should cover you for the walleye as they are way more aggressive up there. I think most of your space can be saved that way for some big pike lures to catch a monster. My family does these trips not enough but one well stocked takle box made the difference. As some guys would try some non typical lures and find because the fish had never seen them before, they would go nuts for this never to be used successful again lure.

Good Luck

bonedogg
07-24-2009, 09:04 AM
good luck rack!!!!get some pics with the big bend in the rod if ya' could. They add to the album for sure. remember big baits for big fish. We always do first, biggest, and most for braggin rights. I'm looking into a trip like that for the future and its high on m:love:y list!

wildman
07-24-2009, 10:50 AM
bring EVERYTHING YOU OWN!!!!!!!! :wave:
trips like that are awesome
last thing you want to do is say "$&%$& i should have brought this or that!!!"
that it all and hope you SLAY!!!!!
post pics when you are back!!!

OutwardBound
07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I gots nothing in the way of what you should bring, but have fun and take lots of pics - sounds like it should be an awesome adventure!

Danni

gramps73
07-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Good luck Rack, post pictures when you get back
Gramps

-JR-
07-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Not sure what lake you are going to ,or what you are fishing for .
Might be lakers ,pike or walleye.
Why not email your guide and ask him what they are bitting on .
Have a good one!

Rackmastr
08-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Got back from the trip....I had been talking to the guide so I had a good idea, just didnt know how MUCH of stuff to bring...

Either way, I had everything I needed and had enough for some of the other guests in camp. Only thing I was lacking was some weedless hooks (which I bought up there). We ended up doing a lot of shallow stuff for pike in the thick weeds which was a PILE of fun....

Pics to follow....

Waxy
08-04-2009, 09:32 AM
I remember the first time I flew in - I had everything but the kitchen sink packed, it was ridiculous.

I'm to the point now where I'd pretty much be happy with four or five jigs (in case I lost a couple), a few different colored tails, a couple spoons, a couple of crankbaits (deep and shallow), a couple extra leaders, and an extra spool of line. I'm sure I could put everything I need in a single Plano 3700 tray.

Luxury items would be a second rod for pike fishing (MH baitcaster) along with some more big pike lures, and bait. I've never had much luck with leeches or worms, but minnows are always nice to have. You can go through A LOT of them when the bite is on though!

I found that I'd take a ton of stuff, and nothing but the items above would ever touch the water. That's all a person really needs. You're not going to lindy rig, slip bobber or troll/bottom bounce for them when all you have to do is drop a jig over the side of the boat.

If you need more than that, you're flying into the wrong lake. :lol:

Waxy

P.S. Looking forward to the pics...