PDA

View Full Version : Transporting rods in a truck

Mr Wiggles
07-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi guys,

I did a search and didn't find anything too solid. Anyway, i'm trying to find a good way to transport rods in my truck, either in the cab or in the box. I thought what might work well is a 5.5' length of PVC (it's a 5.5' bed) on one side of the bed, with a screw cap on the end. i'm not a princess, but i don't want it to look too ghetto, and pvc looks like crap. I'd like something i can permanently mount in there. Last weekend, on the way home from chain lakes, a rod tip snapped off because the rods were in the cab on top of camping gear.

What are you guys using to transport rods?

Cal
07-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Too good for PVC and you own a truck with a 5'5 box... ya kind of sound like a princess:lol: I usualy dissmantel them and stick them behind the seat but then I'm not driving a glorified minivan:D For a super manly look you could get one of those bumper racks like the surf fishermen use. I bet you could rig up somthing sweet on a headache rack if you like to pretend that that puny box is worth puting a headache rack on.... or you could do the PVC thing and spray paint it PINK!

BTW is that sun guy off a Sublime album cover? very cool.

propa1
07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I got a hard case for travel.
http://www.pelican.com/outdoor/

Mr Wiggles
07-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Cal,
:lol: :lol:

Thanks for that informative post!!!! This is my first truck, and yeah, the 5.5' box can be a little annoying at times, i'm planning on replacing it with a 4.4L Diesel F-150 :love:

And yessir, that is the sublime sun i've been a big fan for a long, long time.

propa1....the pelican case is a great idea. we use and sell quite a few of their other cases for work, i'll have to contact our supplier and see if i could get a deal....thanks!

Cal
07-24-2009, 12:55 PM
They make a 4.4 diesel? Unless its 300x better than the 6.0 and the 6.4 do yourself a favor and go with something else or go gas. This is not just heresay, I've been fighting with ford diesels for many a year now and finaly the company I do alot of sub contracting through is starting to phase them out.

You took me ribbing you about your "truck" like a man, so I'll take back the princess remark. Sublime rocks, while not the brightest idea heroin adictions are also kinda manly. If you had rod racks on the bumper and the sublime sun on the back widshield even I would have to admit your ride was kinda sweet.

Mr Wiggles
07-24-2009, 01:46 PM
The 4.4L Diesel is slated to debut for 2010 in the F-150, and a turbocharged V6 is also rumored. The 4.4 is brand new, and doesn't borrow anything from the 6.0 or 6.4. I've got an F-150 (you know, with that tiny box!) right now, a supercrew with the 5.4L V8 Gas. It's a great engine but more torque and better mileage would be nice. However, if after a year or 2 of the new 4.4 being on the market it doesn't stack up as well as everyone expects, i will likely keep my 5.4 truck and possibly supercharge it.

And yeah, i love a good ribbing, just watch it, i can dish it out too! The last 4x4 i built had a sublime sun prominently on the passenger side rear window, but the F150 is pretty much bone stock.

Anyway, i went to the fishin hole about an hour ago, they fixed the busted rod tip for next to nothing and sold me a flip-top rod carrier. Should do the trick nicely!

DarkAisling
07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
My father's F350 Supercab diesel is such a POS that Ford voluntarily extended the warranty on it. There are rumours that a diesel Toyota Tundra is going to be made available over here (they're available overseas) . . . that might be worth waiting for. Dad is praying the Ford holds together until they are.

Which case was it that they sold you? How many rods does it hold? I had a look at their website, as I'm interested in getting cases for our rods. I have a ski box on my roof rack, and the rods fit in that nicely. However, with all of the other crap that's gonna get shoved in there on top of them it would be nice if they were a little more protected.

JP300WSM
07-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Ford is no longer making that diesel truck. Why?..... because of price, for an extra 5 to 10 thousand you can get a F-250 or F-350 diesel. GM was also releasing a half ton diesel but that fell through as well.

Mr Wiggles
07-24-2009, 02:26 PM
I dunno...after spending a lot of seat time in a Tundra, i wouldn't go near one of those trucks. Tacoma, yes, Tundra, no way!

And yeah, the rumor mill keeps flipping back and forth on whether or not Ford is going to greenlight the diesel for the 1/2 ton chassis vehicles. We'll see what happens i guess.

I will try and post up tonight what case it was. It was cheap, had a watertight lid, and i think you could get 3-4 spinning rods (in 2 pieces) in it. Their was a much more expensive and larger plano one there as well, but i didn't really see the need for it. The case i bought was $17.

Cal, you can just make out the sublime sun, this is the last thing i built.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll179/epanasuik/n564045313_862520_7066.jpg

JP300WSM
07-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I agree those Toyota trucks are way overrated and over priced. I priced out a tundra and the quote I got was insane I could buy a GM 2500 diesel same options for the same price. So I went with the duramx and have had no problems with it

Duramaximos
07-24-2009, 03:27 PM
The Duramax rocks :cool:
I agree those Toyota trucks are way overrated and over priced. I priced out a tundra and the quote I got was insane I could buy a GM 2500 diesel same options for the same price. So I went with the duramx and have had no problems with it

beermilk
07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
can the cummins really be beat?? i think cummins > all other diesels

BlueNorther
07-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I have alum. rod tubes for all my fly rods and they don't get put in the truck until they're in the tubes. Haven't had an accidental rod break in more years than I care to think about.

Cal
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Good call on waiting untill that diesel is proven till buying it, their track reccord is not great at this point. And i dunno about the better milage, the new 6.4 gets 16 miles to the gallon unloaded. With a welding deck on it mine says I get 100kms out of 30 liters of fuel. Towing a load it sometimes takes me $190 to go to North Britnell and back. I had heard about those tundras, I think they are supposed to come with a 7.4 Hino inline 6 out of their highway trucks, and if they did thats what I'd switch to. As it stands now I'll agree that the cummins can not be beat, our new trucks are all cummins and are better in every aspect the the fords, I just hate the mirrors on the dodges, kind of a big deal if you cant see out your back window IMO.

When I was in Panama this spring I noticed that pretty much everyone was driving a toyota 1/4 ton model called the Hilux which came with a 2.2 diesel, how come we cant get that stuff here?

Mr Wiggles
07-25-2009, 10:04 AM
The holder is made by 'the tackle company' and is called rod caddy. Model is 308-46, and the fishin hole lists a few different models on their website

https://www.thefishinhole.com/imagesProducts/big/3843656.jpg

It's rated to hold one rod, but two fit with no problem. If i had a third rod, i'd be willing to bet it would fit without any issues as well.

DarkAisling
07-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks! The price point is good too :) I won't have time to pick anything up before we head out. Hopefully our rods survive well enough.

winged1
07-25-2009, 06:47 PM
PVC pipe. Holds 4 rods and is great for the roughnecks on Westjet. Not to mention my own carelessnes.

DarkAisling
08-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Actually, I did find something laying around that works great for 3-4 rods: a drafting tube. It's plastic, has a strap to carry it over the shoulder, and extends to be just long enough to get 2 piece 6.5' rods in.