PDA

View Full Version : Good fishing spots

Firechicken
07-24-2009, 02:51 PM
does anyone know of some good spots to fish within a few hours from lacombe im from BC so i know the fishing is alot diff here lol but i was just out at cline river by nordegg and didnt even have a bite so would anyone like to share a few places so i can catch some fish. And where on abraham lake is a good spot to fish from shore?

Wazzy
07-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Abraham Lake is usually pretty good fishing for small bulls and rainbows wherever a creek enters it. Tershishner, Cline, Allstones.

Firechicken
07-24-2009, 07:25 PM
do u know if its better to fish by the bridge at the cline river or right at the mouth where it enters the lake? i tried fly fishing and some spoons and all sorts of things and no luck lol any idea what they might bite on ? Also is there good fishing in the red deer river and if so where abouts

troller
07-24-2009, 07:53 PM
You should be able to catch something pretty much anywhere on the red deer river. Usually goldeye but there are more species to be had. Some fly fishers do well with brown trout (not 100% sure) but this is my first year fly fishing and have yet to hit it. I have no ideas on what kinds of flies you should use. As far as spoons the red and white "red devil" and yellow and red 5 of diamonds seemed to work well for me there in the past. You may get a walleye or a pike on those also.

Good fishing!

Firechicken
07-24-2009, 08:38 PM
cool thanks alot this is also my first year fly fishing i have only done it once but i love it.

flygirrl
07-24-2009, 09:06 PM
does anyone know of some good spots to fish within a few hours from lacombe im from BC so i know the fishing is alot diff here lol but i was just out at cline river by nordegg and didnt even have a bite so would anyone like to share a few places so i can catch some fish. And where on abraham lake is a good spot to fish from shore?

You can try fishing below the Dixon dam on the Red Deer, there are Browns, Whitefish, Walleye and Pike, Try using a big streamer for the pike and a Bead Head prince Mympth for the whitfish or a San Wan worm, as far as the walleye goes Ive only used jigs and spoons for them so Im not sure what fly they might take. The browns are way better fishing later in the year when they start schooling to spawn but they are there just difficult. I have caught them on a bead head wooly bugger black. The thing with river fishing is you have to get your fly down to the bottom so a small split shot should do the trick and mend like crazy depending on current. Especially for white fish. Sinking tip helps a lot too.If they are going after drys than you need to see what they are and match the hatch or give up. Frustrating but oh so much fun. Clearwater River on hwy 22 south can be good. Raven down by Stauffer is excellent Brown trout but you have to be stealthy, they spook easy. good luck