PDA

View Full Version : Where to take Kids Close to Edmonton for Fishing?

mlokken1
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Where is a good spot to catch fish close/relatively close to Edmonton? My 3 and 5 year olds have never been fishing, so would like to go somewhere they would likely catch something - it doesn't matter if we have to throw it back, etc, just as long as they would be able to say they caught a fish... Please let me know.
Mike

brandeasy
07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
if you head out past stony plain there is a series of lakes that are easy to catch fish. Most of the lakes are just off highway 770 (south of highway 16)If you have a boat you can try Jackfish or mayatan lake lake for lots of pike. usually average 18 in a 3 hour period Jackfish lake is usaully busy with boaters (watersking, tubing, etc) since there is alot cottages on the lake ( only one public access). If it Not a stable boat i would advise against jackfish, since i have hearld bad stories of ingnorance there and have been capsized before due to the same. mayatan is usually just fisherman and i have had good luck there. All pike i have caught there have been throwing a spoon to the weeds and retrieving quickly. For trout hasse is good for a bunch of little ones. Seen many peoiple fishing it from the dock and having good success, or in a boat around the island with greater success. (20 hits in a hour). many other lakes in the area (star, spring, muir, mere) i just havent tried them.

BigRackLover
07-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Pigeon - bring a boat.

-JR-
07-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Pigeon lake for walleye ,as they only need to hold the rod and let line hang down under the boat. Sometimes its hard for very young kids to cast .
Go to search on this forum and type in Boat rental.
Shore fishing is more like weed fishing this time of year.
The river in town can also be good .
Have fun
JR

I-Love-Eyes
07-25-2009, 07:47 AM
There is a place on Secondary Highway 627 West of Highway 60 and about 2 miles East of Spruce Grove (I think on Pioneer Road). It is on the Northwest corner of the intersection and has a reddish fence. They have a trout pond, petting zoo etc. I'm sorry, but I can't recall the name of the place.

mlokken1
07-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice. Much appreciated.

fishwithnoknots
04-01-2010, 03:23 PM
You have Cardiff pond just north of Edmonton about 15-20 mins by Morinville, great place to teach the kids.