PDA

View Full Version : Bait

King Midas
07-24-2009, 03:59 PM
What is the best bait to use when fishing for walleye or pike, and where is it presented the best? Thanks

savagencounter
07-24-2009, 04:03 PM
What is the best bait to use when fishing for walleye or pike, and where is it presented the best? Thanks

dew worms on a twisty tail jig have worked better for me then anything else ive tried. minnows dont seem to work well, havent tried leaches because we have had tons of success with worms so why change a good thing. 10-15 feet of water for walleye and pike tend to be closer to shore. Look for rocky bottom if targeting walleye. Calling lake or pigieon are the best for walleye and gregiore lake north by fort mac if so full of pike its hilarious you cant even let your hook sink before a pike grabs it unfourtunatly the big ones are hard to catch but i got a 48 inch plus there in the spring in my kayak it was fun letting him pull me around i was almost scared to grab it lol but hes still there i let him go.

Sir. Kenneth
07-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Im definitely a big fan of Berkley's Gulp alive both Leaches and minnows, usually about 12 feet of water depending on the time of day and keep it just a couple inches off the bottom.

Cheers,

-JR-
07-24-2009, 04:24 PM
When you buy minnos ,open up the container and look at them .
I like the jumpo minnos as they are full grown .
Anyways minnos are males and femals .
Big deal you say !
Femals you can tell because they have belleys ,because they are full of eggs.
When the minnos is in the water, the eggs will come out because the minno is dead. Walleye go crazy !
When I find container with lots of femals in them i buy them .(July is best )

Now you know why the boat next to you is pulling in more walleye than you !

Try it next time you buy some . with a male you might wait 10 mins .
with a femal it is seconds.

Ps
Let me know how you made out.
JR

floppychicken
07-25-2009, 03:23 AM
When you buy minnos ,open up the container and look at them .
I like the jumpo minnos as they are full grown .
Anyways minnos are males and femals .
Big deal you say !
Femals you can tell because they have belleys ,because they are full of eggs.
When the minnos is in the water, the eggs will come out because the minno is dead. Walleye go crazy !
When I find container with lots of femals in them i buy them .(July is best )

Now you know why the boat next to you is pulling in more walleye than you !

Try it next time you buy some . with a male you might wait 10 mins .
with a femal it is seconds.

Ps
Let me know how you made out.
JR

Hmmmm,

That's quite interesting... I was just remarking to my Fishing Pal the other day about how two of the 4 tubs of minnows we bought were vastly different in the SIZE and shape of what are considered 'normal' minnows ! One had a bit of an assortment but the second had MUCH bigger minnows with what looked like 'swollen bellies'. As a matter of fact, I still have some of them in the freezer.....

That's Too funny, I'll now have to test out your theory !

Cheers, :D

/FC...