PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Buy A Lake Lot?

riden
02-29-2020, 11:13 AM
So wifey and i are thinking about buying a lake lot. The last two summers we rented at Buck Lake, Oakes Bay Estates. We really liked the chill atmosphere, that the lake was so quiet, and that there was a boat launch right there. Plus the location is really good, as my son and his family live in Drayton Valley, so we spend lots of time with the grandkids.

So Oakes Bay checks all our boxes, but honestly..... we live in the Peace Country and have never been anywhere else. So, it isn't a very informed move.

We are about 7 years from retiring and plan to downsize our house, and build a cabin on the lake lot that we will spend a lot of time in and maybe live in 100% when we are old. I would be open to an unfinished build too, if it made sense.

Anyone here have any other areas they think fit my needs?

Thanks guys.

dr.crentist
02-29-2020, 11:23 AM
I've grown fond of Gull. Friends of ours moved that way, Meridian Beach, a few years ago and we stay with them a lot. Great community, can't stress that enough, and decent lake. It is a little further away from you but I don't mind the drive from Sherwood Park most days, 1.5 hours. They are developing and lots are abundant, also existing is available on the lake side or the private canal.

HuyFishin
02-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Forget a lake lot.

Get a home just outside of victoria out in the country. House pricing is not bad around langford. flights as low as 250 for a two way ticket and average around 450. You can be 10 minutes away from a smallmouth bass lake and 10 minutes away from the ocean shoreline.

All the salmon,lingcod, rockfish, flounder you could think of. Crabbing, squid fishing and prawning haha.

i'm gonna be there in 5 dayss for some crabbing and fishing straight from a pier. Will be your best house purchase ever!

Smoky buck
02-29-2020, 12:24 PM
Forget a lake lot.

Get a home just outside of victoria out in the country. House pricing is not bad around langford. flights as low as 250 for a two way ticket and average around 450. You can be 10 minutes away from a smallmouth bass lake and 10 minutes away from the ocean shoreline.

All the salmon,lingcod, rockfish, flounder you could think of. Crabbing, squid fishing and prawning haha.

i'm gonna be there in 5 dayss for some crabbing and fishing straight from a pier. Will be your best house purchase ever!

If this idea catches yourself interest go north island instead way better fishing way cheaper land

Red Bullets
02-29-2020, 12:37 PM
Buck lake is actually not a bad choice. The lake is fishable and there is hunting within minutes. The North Sask river is close and only 40 minutes to Rocky Mountain House which has more fishing options. Drayton Valley has everything you need. The townsite has some basics.

You cannot cut down trees along the shoreline and have to build so far back from the water so check into the building restrictions before you buy a lot there.

fish99
02-29-2020, 02:03 PM
we bought a lake front lot at pigeon lake a couple years ago . and are now building a house on the lot . cannot wait to move in . its not far from Edmonton or even closer to Leduc . good fishing and recreation. in the area , golf ect. good luck in your quest . true lake front is hard to come by.

WinefredCommander
02-29-2020, 05:14 PM
Cold lake.

pikeman06
02-29-2020, 05:28 PM
I love that area too having worked there many years and alot of good memories...still fish it. Very fertile lake gets a little gross when the rains come in june. Lots of grass to cut and wicked thunderstorms. The area has seen a big slowdown in recent years and property values haven't really dipped in comparison to other areas. We were interested in that area aswell but apart from mobile homes on say 5 acres for a quarter million a mile or two from the lake there wasn't a whole bunch out there that we considered a bargain. Theft is a concern but in Oakes or hausers it is probably different. After going up to slave lake for a big project I think we decided for the same money we would much rather retire up there. Way "wilder" than buck. Big water all over the place up there fishing, quading and hunting paradise. Swan hills a neat area that's close too. Just my two cents. Bucks good too don't get me wrong.

fordtruckin
02-29-2020, 07:12 PM
Lake lot? I’d leave Alberta... personally For the price is look south of the border in MN. If you want to stay in Canada I’d go Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Sister and BIL got a nice 2 bed cabin in Manitoba that was less than 10 years old for under 150k on a lake.

OL_JR
02-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Buck ain't to bad but generally stop fishing it once the algae really starts. As mentioned gets pretty gross but you've most likely experienced that already having rented there. Nice area for the most part and not sure how many other options there are if wanting to stay close to the family in Drayton and live on a lake. Personally wouldn't spend the premium for a lot on a lake that get's that bunged up in the summer but to each their own.

abhunter8
03-01-2020, 09:13 AM
I live in Drayton Valley and The Buck lake area is nice. My only apprehension would be that by mid July to the end of September Buck lake is the most disgusting lake I have ever seen for Blue green algae. Looks like toxic waste. lol

riden
03-01-2020, 11:13 PM
I hear you guys on the algae. It’s a nuisance

But, 20 min from my grandkids ....... that’s a big selling point.

Wiz
03-02-2020, 09:47 AM
Sounds like your “sold”

Jamie Black R/T
03-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Close to the grandkids is all that matters. Family is everything.

The rest is all a bonus.

riden
03-02-2020, 12:21 PM
Sounds like your “sold”

I'm pretty close.

Wifey and I are really happy there, and we see so much of the grandkids. But I fully admit I am not knowledgeable about this purchase, and I feel a little like I am going in blind.

I was hoping if I am missing any big red flags, somebody here would tell me. I have noticed guys on this forum are pretty good at helping me spend my money. :)

Poppa
03-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Lake lot? I’d leave Alberta... personally For the price is look south of the border in MN. If you want to stay in Canada I’d go Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Sister and BIL got a nice 2 bed cabin in Manitoba that was less than 10 years old for under 150k on a lake.

I'm 39, turning 40 this month, and every single financial planning decision I make is in service of being able to retire on a lake in Manitoba. Hopefully either The Whiteshell or Lake Winnipeg...

Who Da Fisherman
03-02-2020, 06:55 PM
I'm 39, turning 40 this month, and every single financial planning decision I make is in service of being able to retire on a lake in Manitoba. Hopefully either The Whiteshell or Lake Winnipeg...

Sounds like you have some roots back there
WDF

Who Da Fisherman
03-02-2020, 07:00 PM
So wifey and i are thinking about buying a lake lot. The last two summers we rented at Buck Lake, Oakes Bay Estates. We really liked the chill atmosphere, that the lake was so quiet, and that there was a boat launch right there. Plus the location is really good, as my son and his family live in Drayton Valley, so we spend lots of time with the grandkids.

So Oakes Bay checks all our boxes, but honestly..... we live in the Peace Country and have never been anywhere else. So, it isn't a very informed move.

We are about 7 years from retiring and plan to downsize our house, and build a cabin on the lake lot that we will spend a lot of time in and maybe live in 100% when we are old. I would be open to an unfinished build too, if it made sense.

Anyone here have any other areas they think fit my needs?

Thanks guys.

I have some insight, if interested PM me.
WDF

Isopod
03-02-2020, 11:12 PM
Hate to point it out, but once retired you are also not getting any younger and are likely to need progressively more visits to doctors, medical tests, appointments, etc. Living at the lake is great, until you have to drive to the city for yet another scheduled medical appointment, during a January snowstorm.

58thecat
03-03-2020, 06:02 AM
Remote somewhere....no cell crap etc.....the wind in the tree's, sound of the water on the shore.....even if you have a young family....take lots of time off in the summer....small excursions throughout the year....just to get away from the so called conveniences of life.

riden
03-03-2020, 08:35 AM
Hate to point it out, but once retired you are also not getting any younger and are likely to need progressively more visits to doctors, medical tests, appointments, etc. Living at the lake is great, until you have to drive to the city for yet another scheduled medical appointment, during a January snowstorm.

I hear ya.

We have lived in an acreage for 20 years though, everything is 25 min away. We are pretty used to it now.

OpenSights
03-04-2020, 07:06 PM
Been on Buck Lake for roughly 8 years now. We love Silver springs. Quiet spot, fishing is good. Hunting is good.

River is close by.

Silver Spring lots are trees more then Oakes Bay if you like that more.

fordtruckin
03-07-2020, 04:23 PM

I hear you, I’m 35 and think the same way! Having an exit plan and being able to work towards that end goal makes way more sense to me than those who work aimlessly and then don’t know what they want at retirement.

straight
03-07-2020, 05:26 PM
I bought lakefront on Kootenay Lake (Kaslo area). Beautiful area, great fishing, mild climate. Second year on my renovation project. Hoping to get it done one day:)

EZM
03-07-2020, 06:13 PM
I bought lakefront on Kootenay Lake (Kaslo area). Beautiful area, great fishing, mild climate. Second year on my renovation project. Hoping to get it done one day:)

That's exactly the Lake I'd be looking on. I really like the Balfour area, as it's a little more sheltered, but you pay more there too.

Almost bought a lake front property there a few years ago. I should have. Was a great deal in an outstanding location.

keeks
03-08-2020, 06:26 PM

Agreed. Whiteshell is great, as is any spot along the Winnipeg River. Grew up in Silver falls.

35 whelen
03-08-2020, 06:42 PM
I know a nice place on an island for sale on the Winnipeg River

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

barbless
03-09-2020, 12:57 PM

Awesome place for sure. I have a fellow employee that has his spot right on the lake about 10-15 min out of Kaslo. If I could that would be a good choice or the Island. Love Manitoba and northern Ontario. Lots of choices but if you want to be near family in Alberta can't help ya sorry

Poppa
03-09-2020, 02:12 PM
Agreed. Whiteshell is great, as is any spot along the Winnipeg River. Grew up in Silver falls.

Awesome. I'm Pinawa born and raised, so the Whiteshell was my whole youth. I think right in the town of Pinawa is still probably my 1st priority for retirement but there will be other options.

My wife is more of a "live for now, worry about that stuff later" person, so I'm always trying to balance the two. I moved to AB strictly to make money, so I don't really have a lot of interest in having a lot of "stuff" now. I can live without that for another 20+ years if it means I get to spend the last 30ish living the life I want.

expedition
03-14-2020, 08:20 PM
Uranium city !

FlyTheory
03-14-2020, 09:36 PM
Kinbasket

pikeman06
03-15-2020, 08:14 PM
Elbow on lake diefenbacher is nice too. Good golf course nice friendly little town more water than a guy could fish in a lifetime. On the windward side of the lake tho some days are a no go for anything other than an ocean liner. Good variety of fish and big ones too.