PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with Red at Buck Lake

Bigwoodsman
03-02-2020, 12:54 PM
As a young boy in the early 70's I used to watch a Saturday morning fishing show called Fishing With Red!

Well I got to live a little bit of that yesterday with our own Red Bullets. I had invited Red to come along on an ice fishing adventure with me. I sent him a PM earlier in the week and we made plans to head out Sunday to Buck Lake south. Saturday we worked out the details over a quick phone call, and I picked up Red at 8AM. Introductions were made a hearty handshake and as Red patted my golden girl Riley's he handed her a piece of antler and we were on our way south.

As we rolled south to Leduc, and then West on Highway 39, it felt like I had known Red all my life, the conversation flowed like the NSR does in July through Edmonton. As we approached Calmar, Red informed me that he grew up in the area and where his farm had been. Past Calmar, I was getting pointers on where the big deer would hang out. The conversation was going so well we missed our turn off of highway 22, Red knows that country like the back of his hand, another turn and a short back track and it wasn't long before we were out on the lake.

Together we cleared the snow so that the Outbreak 450i had a spot on the ice, Red punched the holes and soon we were standing in 3 inches of water. We commenced to shoveling snow back in so there we weren't sitting in the water. packed some snow in and set up a bed near the door so Riley could come and go as she wanted.

The fish weren't cooperating this day, but Red did catch and land a Pike, how big was that pike Red? 12 pounds maybe(The original Red Fisher from the tv show always knew the weight without a scale).

We fished a few more hours sharing in conversations of the area, this man is a real wealth of knowledge, I learned so much about our Alberta heritage and history from him this day.

We packed up and headed off the ice at 5PM, I had to be home by 7. As we rolled North on 22 Red said take a right here and we'll take this road. As we headed east on the backroads we were spotting deer and moose and we were making plans for future trips. Soon we were back in the urban jungle as Red calls it, and I was dropping Red off at home. A final handshake and a thank you for an amazing day was shared, with a promise to get together and head out again soon.

I'm sure glad I got to go fishing with Red!

BW

CNP
03-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Excellent day out. I remember Red Fisher from the Scuttlebut Lodge series.

58thecat
03-02-2020, 01:41 PM
two like minded people out on an adventure...awesome!

riden
03-02-2020, 01:46 PM
Excellent day out. I remember Red Fisher from the Scuttlebut Lodge series.

I loved Red Fischer.

My favourite episodes were on Great Slave lake, Red in his tinner with old fashioned movie cameras. I don't think all episodes even had sound.

The first time I got to fish the territories I felt like a King, because I dreamed about doing it for years.

Red Bullets
03-02-2020, 10:20 PM
A big thank you to Bigwoodsman for the adventure and outing.

My side of the story...

Bigwoodsman had contacted me to see if I would be up to some jigging on ice. I didn't even know he played fiddle let alone dance on ice. :)

After talking about logistics of the epic journey the night before Bigwoodsman appeared in the morn in his 4 wheel drive horseless buggy along with his trusty sidekick Ryley. Ryley was friendly and ready for the day.

After a hearty meet, greet and a handshake we pledged to be optimistic and be determined to tug some fish lips. And so to the crystal waters beside Buck mountain we embarked . Originally known as Bull lake it has been known to produce large fish as far back as 1799 by the men of the fur trade so the odds were good we could partake in the old ritual. Only 130 years ago this journey would have taken at least 5 days travel from Fort Edmonton so I was counting my blessings that Bigwoodsman's magical buggy could get us there, to Buck lake, in a mere 100 minutes. We live in amazing times.

Both of us have been craving fresh fish all winter and was sure the fish gods would allow us to catch a few of the legendary perch and was hopeful to also encounter and hunt the elusive 6 inch walleye.(That's 6 inches between the eyes.)

Bigwoodsman got us to our destination safely and he bravely went forth onto the virgin snow. His trusty 4 wheeled steed easily went to the area we would hunt the wary wild fish. With a flip here and a pop there, lo and behold Bigwoodsman produces a wonderful fishing parlor. I drilled holes with Bigwoodsman's auger and it was dreamy. The auger was quieter than any woman I know and poked a hole through the ice quicker than a buzzard could pick the eye out of a carcass. Oddly the water came out of the holes like a fountain and submerged the fishing parlor. Damn... we had forgotten to bring the boat.
A couple inches of water was not going to dampen our spirits and we sat down on our water stands and commenced to a jigging this way and a thrumbing that way. The sun was blinding the fish and no matter how we tried the fish could not see the treats we were offering.

The conversation flowed to many places and it was nice to hear of the travels Bigwoodsman has made to many parts of the continent as the pilot of an 18 wheeled carriage. His sharing of adventures of going into big woods for a lifetime were campfire worthy.

While chewing on our past adventures I felt the familiar tug of an Alberta mermaid and she kissed my treble. I squeezed the slimy beauty through the hole and noticed her tail didn't quite touch the ice. It was lucky for the mermaid that her government had decided she must live and so the pike was allowed to go free.

Like Bigwoodsman has mentioned... that pike had to have been at least 12 pounds but unfortunately because of the hard winter the pike had lost about 10 pounds. :)

All in all the trip was to the Minnehik area was a good journey, crossing my old hunting and stomping grounds. Seeing the familiar lands and noticing the wildlife was nice. Catching one lone jerkfish let me know the fish gods have not forsaken me. I hope Bigwoodsman, Ryley and I will attempt more excursions and firmly believe we will be covered in fish scales, slurping fin soup next time we get out.

Tip of the day: Don't fish where we did. And sadly, Buck Lake's fish have gone blind souse maybe stinky bait. Hopefully the fish haven't lost their sense of smell.

And the biggest tip is meet and greet a fellow AO member and enjoy an outing together. Makes for enjoyable days.

Bigwoodsman
03-03-2020, 10:56 AM
Red I'd be very disappointed if we didn't get out on a few more adventures. I'm looking forward to sitting around a campfire with you. Can't wait for the shores of the NSR to loosen it's grip on the ice pack and get down there and experiencing what it has to offer.

It's not always about the fishing, its about the friendships. Like Red Bullets said, meet your AO members it has been very rewarding.

BW

abhunter8
03-03-2020, 11:35 AM
This is the best post on AO. Warmed my heart and is a good reminder of what is important in this world, people, relationships, experiences and memories! I think I better go pick up my dad and take him fishing. The comment is so true about meeting like minded people and sharing experience. See you all out on the lake or in the woods.