PDA

View Full Version : Lake trout after dark

boonedocks
03-04-2020, 06:44 PM
Some friends and I are planning an overnight trip for Lakers in the near future and I was just wondering if anyone has had much luck targeting them after dark? The reason I ask is that we are pondering how deep of water to set up our over night camp in. I myself have caught browns and rainbows after dark but have never tried for lakers after sundown as that’s usually bug out time. Thanks in advance

pikehunter1989
03-05-2020, 07:20 AM
They shut down for the most part once the sun goes down but can get the odd one at night. You’re more likely to catch burbot then anything

35 whelen
03-05-2020, 07:56 AM
Never had much luck fishing lake trout at night

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

58thecat
03-05-2020, 08:09 AM
Lay a few 5-7" minnows on the bottom....ya never know but when the first light hits it might pick up if your in the right area....burbs at night though for the most part.

rafhone
03-05-2020, 09:04 AM
A friend and I did a 4 day trip on Cold Lake, sleeping on the ice. I think we caught more trout at night than the day. My buddy had a flasher and I didn't at the time, he was hammering the suspended trout at night. Were set up deep around 100 ft.

Use white/glow lures and tube jigs

58thecat
03-05-2020, 09:07 AM
A friend and I did a 4 day trip on Cold Lake, sleeping on the ice. I think we caught more trout at night than the day. My buddy had a flasher and I didn't at the time, he was hammering the suspended trout at night.

Use white/glow lures.

good to know....I watched uncut angling and he removed all the snow from his hut...torched the ice...and at night put a strobe light on facing down on the ice...place lite right up....attractant?

rafhone
03-05-2020, 09:13 AM
good to know....I watched uncut angling and he removed all the snow from his hut...torched the ice...and at night put a strobe light on facing down on the ice...place lite right up....attractant?

Unfortunately I believe that's illegal in Alberta. But if your really lighting up you shelter bright, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt :)

Jigapoolza
03-06-2020, 10:57 AM
We’ve camped out and ran a line through the night and had some luck. One night we caught 5 fish. The night before we didn’t get any.

duckup
03-06-2020, 11:20 AM
depends on the day and lake but it works, sunrise and sunset are best on average though