PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing bibs and parka

Jonny14
03-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Hello all,

This has probably been brought up before but I'll try anyways. How many of you use the "ice fishing suits" you see most guys on videos wearing? What brand do you have? Pro's and Con's? Are they worth the $?
Thanks

pinelakeperch
03-10-2020, 02:18 PM
As with a lot of fishing stuff, they're great to have, but not absolutely necessary.

I have a Clam Ice Armor bib. It keeps me dry and has padding in the knees. A lot of the new gear has flotation properties, and also have some nice additions such as waterproof plastic sleeves for phones, retractable cords for pliers/scissors, etc.

I'll probably buy the Clam "Rise" parka, but more out of want than need.

SamSteele
03-10-2020, 02:23 PM
My wife got me the Strikemaster Surface bibs for Christmas and I added the Surface jacket in January. I like it quite a bit. I find the bibs to be quite a bit warmer than regular ski pants and the water resistant knees are a real bonus.

As far as the floating aspect, it’s nice to have but I have no plans to try that feature out anytime soon.

35 whelen
03-10-2020, 04:46 PM
I also use the StrikeMaster jacket and bibs great year

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Stubb
03-10-2020, 04:52 PM
i have the frabill I3 bibs and jacket and so far so good.

Buck9
03-10-2020, 08:20 PM
Recently purchased the StrikerIce Hardwater bibs and really like the fit n warmth of these. Would advise you pay attention to the insulation on the different models/brands and purchase to your particular style of fishing. The Hardwater are excellent for outside -20 n sitting on a pail. Drilling holes in -5 deg weather and you tend to sweat up. Would definately recommend yes pricey but get what you pay for

kbobbeck
03-10-2020, 09:38 PM
frabill i3 bibbs....not too hot on warm days just right on cold days....really light weight....found them brand new on kijiji for $ 100.00

old dog
03-11-2020, 08:27 AM
I have frabill and friends have strikemaster and clam. All seem to be very good

Jonny14
03-12-2020, 05:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Cold lake guy
03-12-2020, 09:01 PM
Eskimo legend jacket and suit, love it so far.... lots of pockets and magnets instead of snaps are awesome! Had to order from us tho

58thecat
03-15-2020, 09:18 AM
Recently purchased the StrikerIce Hardwater bibs and really like the fit n warmth of these. Would advise you pay attention to the insulation on the different models/brands and purchase to your particular style of fishing. The Hardwater are excellent for outside -20 n sitting on a pail. Drilling holes in -5 deg weather and you tend to sweat up. Would definately recommend yes pricey but get what you pay for

I prefer over dressed then layer down during grunt work....luv being warm when sitting idle...waiting:)

twitchjig
03-15-2020, 05:51 PM
I bought the striker hardwater, it is a bit more durable with better pocket layout and nicely insulated pockets than the strimemaster. They are both on sale at the fish'n hole right now if they have your size left.

Striker is probably more suited for a guy that uses atv to get where he wants to go.

pinelakeperch
11-27-2020, 01:50 PM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/141419/striker-ice-mens-hardwater-bibs

Great deal!

mapleleafman3
11-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Fishing Hole has Striker on Black Friday sale.

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=products.Flyer&kw=/Black-Friday-Sale/

FlyTheory
11-27-2020, 03:03 PM
I have a Fjallraven polar bib. Love it.

Brovacs
11-27-2020, 04:40 PM
I just picked up the Striker Predator bib and have been pleased with with warmth and the fit. I wish they had two more pockets on each side in addition to the ones on the front. As others have said they are a luxury and not necessary. Regular snow pants work just fine

stubblejumper01
11-27-2020, 04:58 PM

Great deal!

Just picked up a set of bibs and a parka at south side store. Both pieces for the price of one. Can’t wait to get out and use them.

Vapor
11-27-2020, 05:02 PM
I find a full suit too restricting personally. I went with a Mountain Hardware absolute zero jacket. Insanely warm even at -35 . Then I cheap out with a pair of SunIce snow pants I get from Costco for $50. Never been cold with this configuration and I wouldn't do it any other way!

That jacket is on sale for Black Friday right now lol

https://www.altitude-sports.com/products/mountain-hardwear-mens-absolute-zero-parka-llll-mhw-1459281?gclid=CjwKCAiA5IL-BRAzEiwA0lcWYq-SQFS8TR5nqLCVZrBVjXbtfSPRwRD1Gt59t6zO-toJiklWUna3qhoCq5gQAvD_BwE

Habfan
11-27-2020, 05:56 PM

Great deal!

I paid 2x that price. Just last year.

Habfan
11-27-2020, 05:59 PM
I just picked up the Striker Predator bib and have been pleased with with warmth and the fit. I wish they had two more pockets on each side in addition to the ones on the front. As others have said they are a luxury and not necessary. Regular snow pants work just fine

Your still young though. As we age the blood doesn’t circulate as well. Hope to see you on the ice Bro.

FlounderPounder
11-27-2020, 09:19 PM
Does anyone wear their ice fishing gear while snowmobiling? Are they too warm, or kind of a dual purpose thing?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

spin
11-28-2020, 01:18 AM
I have the Simms insulated bib and jacket. Really happy with them so far, can easily layer for colder weather and much more mobility than traditional bibs.

AlbertanGP
11-29-2020, 03:47 PM
I've run the StrikerIce Predator suit since it was released a few years ago. The set is very warm, has more pockets than I care to use, and the flotation is a nice safety feature. I do question how much difference it would make though if I fell in.

Well worth the money at the current sale price listed IMO.

StringTheory
11-30-2020, 11:32 AM
I've used the FXR Excursion bibs for the last two season. Good build quality and very warm - almost too warm. Only downside I find is that they don't breathe very well. I end up feeling a bit clammy after a full day on the ice, especially if I'm going in and out of a shelter.

On top, I end up wearing a base layer and fleece if its around -10C. Might switch to a light down jacket if its -10 to -18C. When the temp really drops I will wear a winter coat but since the bibs are so warm I usually wear the coat when I've stopped moving and am fishing a spot for a bit.

Lambo
11-30-2020, 11:24 PM
I have the Striker Predator. Amazingly warm and comfortable. Tons of pockets. I like the velcro adjustable pant length

Zoey79
12-01-2020, 12:54 AM
The Eskimo Legend ice fishing suit consists of a jacket and a pair of bibs of the highest quality with great insulation, flotation-assistance, and comfort. In our opinion, overall this is the best ice fishing suit.

Off in the Bushes
12-02-2020, 04:58 PM
I picked up the striker hard water parka and bibs. They are really warm and comfortable. The best is the knee pad in the bibs. That subtle difference from my old clothing was so noticeable and pleasant.

Skabulon
12-03-2020, 02:03 PM
I took a chance and bought a WindRider ice fishing suit off Amazon, company is based out of Minnesota I guess. I am actually quite happy with them, they are nice and warm, have a lot of the features of the more expensive brand name suits (including flotation), and they were at least $200 cheaper than anything I could buy in store. Here's the link, (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B083Y68VLL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_xfvYFb01ND4JW) unfortunately it looks like they are pretty low on stock on Amazon right now, but you can order direct from them as well.