PDA

View Full Version : Stamped or Exposed Aggregate Concrete Patio?

bigbuck
03-11-2020, 05:09 PM
Hi guys,

Pros and cons of either? I have been told both need resealed every couple years. The price difference from the quotes I received are only about $500 difference so not a big deal. Does aggregate hold up better over the years?

Any input and pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

curtz
03-11-2020, 05:37 PM
I did both, did my sidewalks in aggregate and my deck stamped. They are both very slippery in the winter, my stamped started to loose it colour in some spots. I covered my deck about 4 years ago and haven't had to seal it since. 6 one way and half dozen the other, it all depends on the look your looking for. Pic is my deck, now that it's covered and no maintenance we love it.

calgarychef
03-11-2020, 06:17 PM
The surface of concrete has a bit higher amounT if cement ( the cream rises to the top when they finish it). With Exposed aggregate The harder surface is washed away, it doesn’t last as well in the freeze/ thaw cycles that we have.

Osky
03-11-2020, 06:19 PM
Down here you can request certain colors be put in the concrete at the batch plant so the stamped concrete won't fade, the dressing color if any is added on your site.
If your doing exposed, again ask the batch plant for 3/8s and smaller pee rock. If it's finished off properly it will give you a bit of grip. I like a clear shine so my finish sealer is a product called Super Diamond Clear. I get about 3 years between coats to keep it looking sharp.
Whichever way you decide to go I'd ask my contractor or directly to the batch plant for a 6 bag, 6 air concrete mix, add the things noted above to that. It's a good strong exterior mix.

Osky

Osky
03-11-2020, 06:23 PM
The surface of concrete has a bit higher amounT if cement ( the cream rises to the top when they finish it). With Exposed aggregate The harder surface is washed away, it doesn’t last as well in the freeze/ thaw cycles that we have.

Wash it out when ready with a hose and your thumb over for spray control. After the majority is done gently run water over to help seal the pores between pebbles. Do not you a nozzle sprayer. Keep sealer on it from there on and it will last fine. Caution do not wash your pebbles out to deep.

Osky

Dean2
03-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Have owned many homes. Stamped and exposed both suck in the winter weather we have. Currently have a very large driveway of exposed aggregate, it is much harder to keep clean and ice free but less slippery than the stamped concrete walks and borders we had in other places. This house the concrete is 12 years old, I have never re-sealed any of my concrete and I cannot see any difference in the look of mine versus a couple of my neighbors who have theirs re-done every two or three years. Given a choice I would take plain old standard concrete and leave the exposed aggregate for Phoenix and other warm places.

Glion
03-12-2020, 10:37 AM
Hi guys,

Pros and cons of either? I have been told both need resealed every couple years. The price difference from the quotes I received are only about $500 difference so not a big deal. Does aggregate hold up better over the years?

Any input and pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

For patio I would choose stamped, I assume not much winter use and isn't the main entrance? I think stamped looks nicer as well imo

buzzard
03-12-2020, 10:58 AM
I have both, patio is stamped sidewalks and drive way in exposed.they both are 18 yrs old. The stamped is showing its age. The exposed looks great. Pressure wash in the spring brings it back to life. To make it look new again apply a coat of sealer. It is very durable. I clear the snow off it with bobcat. My vote is for exposed concrete. Use pea gravel in the mix and min 27MPA

Hunter65
03-12-2020, 07:48 PM

I disagree. More cement does not make cream rise to the top. Overworking concrete makes cream (paste) rise to the top, especially when the finisher "blesses" it, or uses water to finish. Worst thing ever.

Air entrainment (google it if you like) is what provides excellent freeze/thaw resistance. It is evenly distributed throughout the mix, so washing the top off has no effect on freeze thaw resistance. It is not the hardened surface that provides freeze/thaw durability, it is millions of tiny bubbles in the mix. It gives water a place to go when it freezes and expands.

To the OP: I have no opinion on what surface finish you get or want. I agree with another poster that both may not be great with ice or snow removal, and could be hard to shovel. FYI an exposed aggregate finish can be difficult to make appear consistent.

Whatever you do, insist that the concrete supplier tests the air entrainment when the concrete is delivered. It will cost more, but will avoid surface deterioration in the future, and keep the supplier honest. Look it up. Ask for 5-8% air. And they should NOT be adding water into the drum when it arrives, no matter what they or the finisher says (maybe a wee bit but not alot). I could go on and on. Its the most misunderstood building product out there, but will last forever when produced and placed correctly.

Yes I consider myself an expert on the subject. :) PM me if you have more questions.

Osky
03-12-2020, 09:01 PM
I disagree. More cement does not make cream rise to the top. Overworking concrete makes cream (paste) rise to the top, especially when the finisher "blesses" it, or uses water to finish. Worst thing ever.

Air entrainment (google it if you like) is what provides excellent freeze/thaw resistance. It is evenly distributed throughout the mix, so washing the top off has no effect on freeze thaw resistance. It is not the hardened surface that provides freeze/thaw durability, it is millions of tiny bubbles in the mix. It gives water a place to go when it freezes and expands.

To the OP: I have no opinion on what surface finish you get or want. I agree with another poster that both may not be great with ice or snow removal, and could be hard to shovel. FYI an exposed aggregate finish can be difficult to make appear consistent.

Whatever you do, insist that the concrete supplier tests the air entrainment when the concrete is delivered. It will cost more, but will avoid surface deterioration in the future, and keep the supplier honest. Look it up. Ask for 5-8% air. And they should NOT be adding water into the drum when it arrives, no matter what they or the finisher says (maybe a wee bit but not alot). I could go on and on. Its the most misunderstood building product out there, but will last forever when produced and placed correctly.

Yes I consider myself an expert on the subject. :) PM me if you have more questions.

All true, as I said, 6 bag, six air mix. Dont let it dry out to fast once poured and finished, and do NOT let anyone do the finishing with a blade on exterior concrete. A mag, bull float or heffer float. A blade will cause future Spaulding for sure.

Osky

Albertacoyotecaller
03-12-2020, 09:22 PM

Hunter65, which supplier are you qc for? This poster knows what he is talking about. I was qc for a large producer for many years. I would go with exposed if it was me. It will last longer, look better longer and feel better under your feet. Get a coarse bristle broom for winter if you want it clean.

Hunter65
03-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Hunter65, which supplier are you qc for? This poster knows what he is talking about. I was qc for a large producer for many years. I would go with exposed if it was me. It will last longer, look better longer and feel better under your feet. Get a coarse bristle broom for winter if you want it clean.

I am not a QC tester, nor do I work for a supplier - although I am a certified tester and I do examine new testers on occasion. I work in engineering, concrete being one of the materials I deal with on a daily basis. From mix designs to conrcete finishing and curing, and everything in between.

KinAlberta
03-13-2020, 07:12 AM
All I know is that they both look like crap when they crack.

They’ll talk big but most installers don’t know what they are doing. They’ll say cracks are inevitable. And yes they are - the way they lay them.

Redneck 7
03-13-2020, 07:23 AM
Any little bit of snow of it, it will be slippery. Same thing with stamped. Other then that it’s all personal preference on looks. Lots of exposed aggregate on buildings that’s been holding up for years.

Stinky Buffalo
03-13-2020, 07:32 AM
Have owned many homes. Stamped and exposed both suck in the winter weather we have. Currently have a very large driveway of exposed aggregate, it is much harder to keep clean and ice free but less slippery than the stamped concrete walks and borders we had in other places. This house the concrete is 12 years old, I have never re-sealed any of my concrete and I cannot see any difference in the look of mine versus a couple of my neighbors who have theirs re-done every two or three years. Given a choice I would take plain old standard concrete and leave the exposed aggregate for Phoenix and other warm places.

I agree with Dean2... I have exposed aggregate on my driveway as well and although it looks nice, it is much more difficult to clear mud and snow/ice from it.

bigbuck
03-13-2020, 08:52 AM

Thank you for the info! So you would recommend exposed as long as its done properly?

calgarysledguy
03-13-2020, 09:31 AM
Thank you for the info! So you would recommend exposed as long as its done properly?

I would go exposed. It will be the least slippery of the two .
It will most likely last the longest out of the two finishes due to quality of concrete this day and age, also how its being finished, and how people treat concrete, putting salt on it , fertilizer on it when doing there lawns.......

Concrete has so many variables, The product that shows up, wind, sun, humidity, rain, freeze thaw .....

Remember a finisher is usually only as good as the product he receives. Don't get me wrong there are lots of crappy lazy finishers out there too....

dwedmon
03-13-2020, 10:02 AM
I have stamped and aggregate. I hate the stamped, it is more slippery than the aggregate and does not hold up as well. Should have went with all aggregate.

Hunter65
03-13-2020, 03:18 PM

I would probably go with exposed if I had to pick. Typically concrete is broomed to provide traction, stamped is not broomed, which is why people say its slippery. At least with exposed, there is some roughness for traction.

bigbuck
03-13-2020, 06:49 PM
Thanks for all the comments. It is a walkout patio that won’t be used too much in winter other than Putting in and taking meat out of the smoker a couple times a week.

Okotok
03-13-2020, 08:48 PM
Exposed done properly is just fine. I find that the majority of residential installers have no clue or just don't care on how to do it properly and to the CSA concrete code. If you have some knowledge as to how it should be done properly, exposed is the better and less slippery way to go.

Albertacoyotecaller
03-13-2020, 09:58 PM
We produced some exposed using regular concrete rock when I worked in the industry. That's another option. It is harder on the feet for sure in summer.

daveyn
03-14-2020, 09:53 AM
We produced some exposed using regular concrete rock when I worked in the industry. That's another option. It is harder on the feet for sure in summer.

This...we have exposed on the front landing and on a small patio off the walkout in the rear, don't even think about standing outside on that stuff in your bare feet or running out to the smoker without your slippers.

Okotok
03-14-2020, 06:44 PM
This...we have exposed on the front landing and on a small patio off the walkout in the rear, don't even think about standing outside on that stuff in your bare feet or running out to the smoker without your slippers.

My front patio and rear driveway are exposed and used fine crush, most likely screenings, rather than pea gravel. Maybe it's because it's almost 10 years old, but I don't have any issues walking on it with my leathery, work hardened feet.