PDA

View Full Version : Steel bumper increase insurance?

FlyTheory
03-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Does anyone have a steel bumper cause their insurance to go up? Hit a deer and need to replace the bumper with my own money. Thinking of doing a steel bumper because it’ll end up being 150$ more. Any insights or experiences?
Thanks!

Blastoff
03-12-2020, 12:56 PM
pretty vague question as far as unit its on look for a used bumper and don't go through insurance

JB_AOL
03-12-2020, 01:09 PM
Any modifications to a vehicle are to be reported to an insurance company (including replacing bumpers), they can (and will) cancel your coverage if you have modifications they didn't know about.

FTR. Depending on the vehicle it may affect some of the systems in the vehicle. As in, if there's front collision avoidance/smart cruise/etc. It can also cause more issues as you are messing with the crumple zone of the vehicle (ie. Airbag operation).

Now... the reality of it is, they probably won't care, until something happens..
And I'd put one on in a second if I still had my truck. The protection they offer are so worth it vs the headaches of dealing with an animal hit or anything else, especially with the idiots on the road today.

FlyTheory
03-12-2020, 01:27 PM
pretty vague question as far as unit its on look for a used bumper and don't go through insurance

Thanks for the reply, to elaborate, I am [thinking of] putting a costal offroad bumper kit on my second gen tacoma.

FlyTheory
03-12-2020, 01:28 PM
Any modifications to a vehicle are to be reported to an insurance company (including replacing bumpers), they can (and will) cancel your coverage if you have modifications they didn't know about.

FTR. Depending on the vehicle it may affect some of the systems in the vehicle. As in, if there's front collision avoidance/smart cruise/etc. It can also cause more issues as you are messing with the crumple zone of the vehicle (ie. Airbag operation).

Now... the reality of it is, they probably won't care, until something happens..
And I'd put one on in a second if I still had my truck. The protection they offer are so worth it vs the headaches of dealing with an animal hit or anything else, especially with the idiots on the road today.

Thanks for the informative answer. I will look into it more!

nimrod
03-12-2020, 06:56 PM
I put a metal number on my truck when I had a accident after talking to my insurance company, still waiting for a animal or a vehicle to guess if they can get in front of me, I put a bullet proof bumper from Red deer on mine

does it ALL outdoors
03-12-2020, 11:22 PM
When I got a new policy my insurance guy came out to the parking lot to look over my truck & double check the vin, I have front and rear steel tube & plate bumpers and he didn't say anything except "cool truck"

He sure didn't seem too worried about it if he was supposed to be. :confused:

No idea about legalities.

FlyTheory
03-13-2020, 05:43 AM
Thanks everyone. Update: insurance (monnex) says that as long as it would oss inspection for emissions and wouldn’t enhance performance, I should be okay.

liar
03-13-2020, 08:07 AM
Thanks everyone. Update: insurance (monnex) says that as long as it would oss inspection for emissions and wouldn’t enhance performance, I should be okay.

you may want to get that in writing . i have not had too many encounters with insurance companies but when it comes to making a claim , they suddenly get very anal about all the little details .