PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Shower

sourdough doug
03-13-2020, 09:23 PM
I've gotta put up a shower set up, at our hunting/rec area for this summer. What suggestions do you guys have, so as I can start sourcing what I may be needing...All ideas welcome and I know there are lots....THX

calgarychef
03-13-2020, 09:32 PM
Mine is low teck. 5 gallon pail, bulkhead fitting on the bottom, 1/2”x2” pipe nipple, ball valve and a shower head. Fill it with water, hoist it into a tree and scrub a dub dub. Oh I almost forgot you’ll need a small piece of plywood to stand on for maximum luxury.

Dewey Cox
03-13-2020, 10:03 PM
I like to have a servant girl there to scrub my back

sourdough doug
03-13-2020, 10:14 PM
Definitely lo tech there CC and appreciate that but am looking for something with more volume and maybe being able to add a wee bit of heat.

And Dewey, anyone doing my back will not be doing it for pay (servant)

Dean2
03-13-2020, 10:19 PM
Mine is low teck. 5 gallon pail, bulkhead fitting on the bottom, 1/2”x2” pipe nipple, ball valve and a shower head. Fill it with water, hoist it into a tree and scrub a dub dub. Oh I almost forgot you’ll need a small piece of plywood to stand on for maximum luxury.

X2. Exact same setup but I also have a tripod made of conduit to set it up on Prairie camping trips.

sourdough doug
03-13-2020, 10:26 PM
Definitely...sorry double

Dean2
03-13-2020, 10:32 PM
If u want heat two choices. We heat the water in a GSW galvanised bucket on the Coleman in the fall and winter then pour it into the 5 gallon plastic shower bucket. Summer a black five gallon bag makes hot water on sunny days and just pour it in the shower bucket when u get back to camp in the evening.

buckbrush
03-13-2020, 10:53 PM
Is it going to be permanent?

We built a cedar stall in the spruce trees behind the cook lodge at our old ranch when I was younger. Cedar floor and walls with an opening to look out into the river valley. It was a 5 gallon bucket on a pulley system. Heat the water on the stove and pour into the bucket. Best showers ever.

omega50
03-13-2020, 11:25 PM
https://www.coleman.com/all-camp-kitchen/kitchen-essentials/hot-water-on-demand-h2oasis-portable-water-heater/col_2000026562_pr/COL_2000026562

Or

calgarychef
03-13-2020, 11:57 PM
Definitely lo tech there CC and appreciate that but am looking for something with more volume and maybe being able to add a wee bit of heat.

And Dewey, anyone doing my back will not be doing it for pay (servant)

You don’t need any more water than that. You’ll have such a long shower you’ll be bored before it’s done.

skidderman
03-14-2020, 02:32 AM
Heat pail of water on camp chef. Set pail by shower stall built any way you want. Regular shower head hooked by rubber hose to bilge pump set in the pail. Bilge pump run by quad battery. Going to build a new one this year using plywood and a pallet for the base. I have a 12 volt switch set close so I can turn it on & off as needed.

waldedw
03-14-2020, 06:30 AM
In hunting camp we use a regular coleman camp shower bag, heat the water on the stove hang the bag drop down a small tarp to stand on and bob's your uncle.

Robins36
03-14-2020, 07:43 AM
For our family of 6 when we are out camping, our trailer doesn’t hold enough water, so we use some water from the river or lake.

We have an old propane bottle that has the top and bottom cut off with expanded metal welded on the bottom and filled with lava rocks that we heat up over the fire. Once those rocks are heated, we move it into an old ice fishing tent and create the “red neck sauna”. Get nice and steamy, lather up and rinse with a few cups of water from a 5 gallon pail that was warmed up.

Daryl

Sundancefisher
03-14-2020, 07:47 AM
https://thetenthub.com/camping-gear/camping-shower/

KinAlberta
03-14-2020, 09:00 AM
On Pinterest I saw a picture of an outdoor shower made from two big water totes with one stacked on the other.

Do an image search for water totes shower and you’ll see it among the results

Found this link through Pinterest:

https://decorafit.com/home/shower/

I have a cabin where I I want a toilet and shower id have to shoehorn it into the tiny washroom. Doing this would be a horrible compromise so instead I’ve been looking for ideas for a separate standalone bathhouse/toilet. I’m surprised it’s not one more often for old cabins and cottages. I’m even considering making it part f a cabana style gazebo and deck.

Ken07AOVette
03-14-2020, 10:33 AM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/87349?productVariantId=251947&gclid=CjwKCAjwgbLzBRBsEiwAXVIygNMpGLFItJh7a5kEIW3n ktQcXLE1j2gB9BDmb2P8ImRGgYzMDUkl8RoC1RMQAvD_BwE

MyAlberta
03-14-2020, 10:50 AM
The smellier you get, the more accepting of primitive methods. I have a solar bag I hang from a peg. Don’t know the brand. May need a kettle full for extra comfort.
Picking tobacco years ago, the showers were feed straight out of the water tower. Hot to cold. You had to pick your place in line.

graybeard
03-14-2020, 11:11 AM
Home Depot had a small plastic shower/base or you can use plastic conduit and elbows for the frame.

Buy 3-4 cheap plastic shower curtains and stitch them together with small zip ties. I made that for a little privacy.

Next I have a new plastic garage pail where I fill it 3/4 full and I suspend a livestock heater into it....The hotter you want the longer you suspend it.

For the shower I use a RV pump and 12V battery and some very simple plumbing; and I mean simple. I suspend the shower head from a branch or use a water pump clamp.

Threw a wooden pallet onto the ground....

Been doing it for years.....

Cost:
the shower curtains, always at garage sales $5
Kijiji plastic conduit free from a plumbing buddy
New garbage can.... $8
Stock heater $20
RV pump $3 at garage sale
Free 12V Battery...buddy had an old one with lots left in it
Zip ties $2

javlin101
03-14-2020, 12:17 PM
I built an outdoor shower at our lake lot. I had a 250 gallon cube tank and pump to supply water to the motor home. Shower was easy and was a outdoor hot water on demand that run on propane, couple C type batters and a garden hoes from the pump connection. This worked great and endless hot water.

Okotok
03-14-2020, 06:25 PM
We have one of the Zodi propane showers. The thing is awesome. We set up a portable Eaton's toilet shelter that I got from my grandparents and one of those perforated rubber mats from Costco, fill up a plastic garbage can with water or just use a 5 gallon bucket depending on how long we'll be there. Great when it rains as we just set up a tarp to keep the garbage can full.

I'll eventually rig up a different pump as the one that came with it runs on 4 x D batteries and works for 20 showers or so before you need to change batteries. Sure nice having a long hot shower very morning.

If we have the trailer out, I don't bother. I just set a Rubbermaid container in the shower so as not to fill up the grey water tank and empty it after a shower. Fill the tank as needed with a 5 gallon jug.

calgarychef
03-14-2020, 07:15 PM
In Africa they set up a “donkey” basically any kind of metal vessel (empty propane tank etc. But big ones) up the hill from the shower. At 4:00 in the morning a camp attendant lites a small fire under it and you’ll have running hot water all day.

Twisted Canuck
03-14-2020, 07:21 PM
This little beauty right here is the ticket! My friend had one of these (or similar) at his campsite in Australia, in the blue mountains. Hooked up a small electric pump to it, a 50 gallon drum caught rainwater off shed roof, and Bob's your Uncle. A very nice hardwood pallet with a rubber costco style matt on it kept you off the dirt. Worked awesome!

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CJPU6JI/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_3kyBEbZRCDY3X

Or if you want a bigger capacity unit...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01K7ATXP0/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_EuyBEbR8VTERJ

grouse_hunter
03-14-2020, 07:26 PM
The Clean Machine (https://trailkitchens.com/products/clean-machine?variant=11474243653) seems like a quality piece of equipment, the price reflects it. It's not just a shower too.

liar
03-14-2020, 07:36 PM
I built an outdoor shower at our lake lot. I had a 250 gallon cube tank and pump to supply water to the motor home. Shower was easy and was a outdoor hot water on demand that run on propane, couple C type batters and a garden hoes from the pump connection. This worked great and endless hot water.

what brand of water heater are you using?

deanr
03-14-2020, 07:40 PM
Check out the Eccotemp line. I have the L10 model - I was able to pick it up on Amazon with a 12 V pump for <$200. Sale doesn’t happen very often but unit works awesome.

HalfBreed
03-15-2020, 06:58 AM
I've had the Coleman H2oasis for about 12 years, works great.

The ones now have lithium batteries and such, mines older without that tech.

https://youtu.be/baP-wcEGrHw

Indy
03-15-2020, 08:08 AM
I used stainless steel tubing and created a coil and heated it with a tiger torch. To pump the water I used a bilge pump and garden hoses to connect everything. Was pumping out of the bow river in the spring so the feed water was cold but it heated the water to a very nice temperature. Just had to make sure to shut off the torch if I lost power to the bilge. That system worked great.

Iskra
03-15-2020, 10:04 AM
I have got this one for sale http://zodi.com/hot-showers/hot-tap-hp-shower NEB and comes with adapter for mounting on refillable propane tank. All needed hoses included

Parker Hale
03-15-2020, 10:07 AM
Hey Doug, I have one of these I don't use.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/broadstone-privacy-shelter-0762004p.html
50 bucks, pm me if your interested.

bsmitty27
03-15-2020, 10:48 AM
Look up the PVC pipe shower tubes. You can put a valve stem in to pressurize them with a bike pump. It would be interesting to run copper pipe off it and have a coil with heat source. The design is based for camper Van's. But you could up scale it to how ever many liters you want.
I want to build a outdoor shower at my place this year. I'm going to use house hot water but im Still trying to get more ideas.

javlin101
03-15-2020, 03:57 PM
what brand of water heater are you using?

See post 22 from twisted. I bought mine off ebay and do not know the brand was. I pretyy sure it was chinese made and it worked great.

nast70
03-16-2020, 09:15 AM
On a week long quadding trip, our crew trying making a shower once, it escalated into a hot tub. The original was 4 large logs with a large tarp over them. Its now evolved into an inflatable pool as the tub, various filters for debris. A sump pump fills the pool from the river. The pump then circulates the poll water through a copper coil around a tiger torch. That heats up the pool in a day on a 30lb tank usually. Then its just a matter of warming it up for the evening soak to relax tired muscles. Fun times! Can't wait for summer:sHa_shakeshout:

liar
03-16-2020, 09:32 AM
On a week long quadding trip, our crew trying making a shower once, it escalated into a hot tub. The original was 4 large logs with a large tarp over them. Its now evolved into an inflatable pool as the tub, various filters for debris. A sump pump fills the pool from the river. The pump then circulates the poll water through a copper coil around a tiger torch. That heats up the pool in a day on a 30lb tank usually. Then its just a matter of warming it up for the evening soak to relax tired muscles. Fun times! Can't wait for summer:sHa_shakeshout:

nice

liar
03-16-2020, 09:38 AM
See post 22 from twisted. I bought mine off ebay and do not know the brand was. I pretyy sure it was chinese made and it worked great.

thanks . from what i have been reading most are from china and people either love them or hate them . like a lot of mass produced items , if you get a bad one it can be a pain to collect on warranty but the ones that work good , work good . i think i am going to try an ecotemp - em7

sourdough doug
03-16-2020, 11:04 PM
Just have to say a big THANKS to all you guys with the tips and site units that are available...Now maybe the "girls" will stay a bit longer..:sHa_shakeshout:
Then it will be back in the beaver pond..once the water runs out
THX again....doug