PDA

View Full Version : Come on Calgary flames

crownb
03-15-2020, 08:16 AM
Pretty classless move Flames. At least some of your players are stepping up.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/do-the-right-thing-calgary-councillor-calls-on-flames-to-reverse-decision-not-to-pay-hourly-workers-1.4853294

Colt45.
03-15-2020, 08:23 AM
I agree. First they make the city foot half the bill on the new rink. And now they don’t want to help out their employees that open the doors every other night. Crazy talk.

GMX
03-15-2020, 08:29 AM
Good on the oilers entertainment group classy move for the community.

Least some of the flames players stepped up and donated some cash that the part time support staff helped them earn.

waldedw
03-15-2020, 08:30 AM
Typical of the Calgary " Shames " maybe Turtlechuck will lead the charge :sHa_shakeshout:

35 whelen
03-15-2020, 08:37 AM
Winnipeg's doing the same thing their owners one of the richest men in Canada and he cant afford to pay these part-timers

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

bessiedog
03-15-2020, 09:22 AM
Whelp.... we call em SHAMES for a reason I guess.

Very very i classy move.

Not cool man.

Go Oil!!

muirsy
03-15-2020, 09:34 AM
Pretty disappointing as a Flames fam. Many professional teams in North America/individual players have stepped up to the plate on this.

It's a lose-lose for them, because now it seems like they're being asked. Bad optics.

elk eater
03-15-2020, 09:44 AM
Well flames fans you can all sigh a deep breath of relief as the Go fund me page for the Flames workers has shattered its goal of $10,000. Mainly due to contributions made by your beloved Gio, Lucic, and Bennet all giving $5000 each to the cause. You owner group may be classless but their is still hope for Gio even if he does love sticking that Knee out !!!

Jayhad
03-15-2020, 10:19 AM
I hate this story almost as much as I hate the fact that a billionaire conned the local and provincial government to pay for his new toy.

This whole rink deal gets my goat, no other business would be given such benefits with so little benefit to the community.....

when are people going to see building an arena for these wind bags isn't in our benefit and they would NEVER do what they are asking of us and to top it off, in this booming economic position we are in.

I could go on for hours, these are prim donnas disconnected to reality by their purses

1899b
03-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Absolutely shameful. Wow!! Way to go Shames!!! I’d be ashamed to cheer for this organization. Just when the community needs to come together..

elk eater
03-15-2020, 10:36 AM
I hate this story almost as much as I hate the fact that a billionaire conned the local and provincial government to pay for his new toy.

This whole rink deal gets my goat, no other business would be given such benefits with so little benefit to the community.....

when are people going to see building an arena for these wind bags isn't in our benefit and they would NEVER do what they are asking of us and to top it off, in this booming economic position we are in.

I could go on for hours, these are prim donnas disconnected to reality by their purses

The new Arena in Edmonton has done a pile for the local area and I would say over time the investment will come back ten fold to the city. Created jobs to build the arena. More jobs were added as the new facility needed more workers. It has also spurred many new developments in the vicinity of the new arena. The location of the arena has brought more people and business to the downtown core. Recall was in a poor place to add developments. Every city should wish they had a Owner such as Katz. He has invested billions into Edmonton and everyone benefits. Do they make a pile of money off these deals YES. And so does the city and that trickles down to everyone.

crownb
03-15-2020, 10:44 AM
This article surprised me, usually Alberta is a trail blazer for others to follow. I guess the Calgary flames organization would rather keep their pockets full. Really it’s quite sad and can’t be come back from.

omega50
03-15-2020, 10:46 AM
How many shifts do you guys think these workers get after the regular season when the Flames don't make the play-off rounds in a normal year?

These are hourly and event employees.

Maybe pay them for previously scheduled regular season home games.

If the season restarts in 3 months and runs through the summer should they deduct that pay that those event employees normally wouldn't be earning in the summer.

Pixel Shooter
03-15-2020, 10:47 AM
unclassy is right

All the teams as of right now aren't paying their arena staff......

Arizona Coyotes – Alex Meruelo
Boston Bruins – Jeremy Jacobs
Calgary Flames – N. Murray Edwards
Carolina Hurricanes – Tom Dundon
Colorado Avalanche – Ann Walton Kroenke
Columbus Blue Jackets – John P. McConnell
Minnesota Wild – Craig Leipold
Montreal Canadiens – Geoff Molson
New York Rangers – James L. Dolan
Ottawa Senators – Eugene Melnyk
St. Louis Blues – Tom Stillman
Vancouver Canucks – Francesco Aquilini
Vegas Golden Knights – Bill Foley
Winnipeg Jets – Mark Chipman and David Thomson

Id rather the staff get paid during this then the millionaire players

RZR
03-15-2020, 11:01 AM
unclassy is right

All the teams as of right now aren't paying their arena staff......

Arizona Coyotes – Alex Meruelo
Boston Bruins – Jeremy Jacobs
Calgary Flames – N. Murray Edwards
Carolina Hurricanes – Tom Dundon
Colorado Avalanche – Ann Walton Kroenke
Columbus Blue Jackets – John P. McConnell
Minnesota Wild – Craig Leipold
Montreal Canadiens – Geoff Molson
New York Rangers – James L. Dolan
Ottawa Senators – Eugene Melnyk
St. Louis Blues – Tom Stillman
Vancouver Canucks – Francesco Aquilini
Vegas Golden Knights – Bill Foley
Winnipeg Jets – Mark Chipman and David Thomson

Id rather the staff get paid during this then the millionaire players

And yet it’s the Flames that are getting jumped all over! Go figure! Oh and I’m not a Flames fan either

MountainTi
03-15-2020, 11:20 AM
And yet it’s the Flames that are getting jumped all over! Go figure! Oh and I’m not a Flames fan either

I'm guessing because they are an Alberta team, this is Alberta, and it is being brought up on Alberta Outdoorsmen? Maybe?

crownb
03-15-2020, 11:21 AM

Maybe just maybe it’s because it’s the ALBERTA outdoorsman forum!!

1899b
03-15-2020, 11:22 AM

I could give a rats ass what the other teams are doing outside of Alberta. Especially Vegas. That’s a cesspool of filth and not surprising none of the Vegas venues are shutting down. What a hole...

Pixel Shooter
03-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Interesting how the Oilers were in the exact same predicament less then 24hours ago.......yet I didnt see any of their hockey players come to the fore front and donate monies ;) Good on the oilers doing it rather quickly compared to the flames pregnant pause. they will buck up

posted yesterday
The Edmonton Oilers, and more specifically Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz, were facing some pretty heated backlash from fans this week when, unlike other franchises around the National Hockey League, they failed to make a commitment to continue to pay their salaried employees as a result of the suspension of the 2019 -2020 NHL regular season caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

In fact the Oilers, and again more specifically Katz himself, made the "naughty list," today. That list was one compiled by a journalists to keep track of all the billionaire owners of the National Hockey League that had thus far failed to commit to paying their staff in spite of the fact that they would not be working the actual games moving forward. Katz was on that list and was in fact listed as one of the wealthiest men on that list but it seems that the Oilers were planning to do the right thing all along, that or the pressure created by their own fans resulted in a quick and decisive response from the organization.

The Oilers have now released a statement making it clear that they will not only stand by their employees, but additionally they will be donating all food that would have been wasted as a result of the stoppage in play to a local food bank, turning an obviously negative situation into one that will have a very nice silver lining.

Jayhad
03-15-2020, 11:57 AM
The new Arena in Edmonton has done a pile for the local area and I would say over time the investment will come back ten fold to the city. Created jobs to build the arena. More jobs were added as the new facility needed more workers. It has also spurred many new developments in the vicinity of the new arena. The location of the arena has brought more people and business to the downtown core. Recall was in a poor place to add developments. Every city should wish they had a Owner such as Katz. He has invested billions into Edmonton and everyone benefits. Do they make a pile of money off these deals YES. And so does the city and that trickles down to everyone.

You're wrong, there's papers published on this lie billionaires use to milk you out of your money, here's one
https://news.stanford.edu/2015/07/30/stadium-economics-noll-073015/

Pixel Shooter
03-15-2020, 12:03 PM
if you read your article its premise is on lack of use of events. ie stadiums 10-12 times a year lol

The Rogers Place is typically booked a few days a week if not more year round. so doesnt quite support your argument

You're wrong, there's papers published on this lie billionaires use to milk you out of your money, here's one
https://news.stanford.edu/2015/07/30/stadium-economics-noll-073015/

Jayhad
03-15-2020, 12:34 PM
Don't take my word for it, I'm not an economist.

https://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/No_Public_Money_for_Stadia.pdf

http://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/sports-stadiums.
In a 2017 poll, 83 percent of the economists surveyed agreed that "Providing state and local subsidies to build stadiums for professional sports teams is likely to cost the relevant taxpayers more than any local economic benefits that are generated.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/sports-jobs-taxes-are-new-stadiums-worth-the-cost/
In Brookings book, Sports, Jobs, and Taxes, we and 15 collaborators examine the local economic development argument from all angles: case studies of the effect of specific facilities, as well as comparisons among cities and even neighborhoods that have and have not sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into sports development. In every case, the conclusions are the same. A new sports facility has an extremely small (perhaps even negative) effect on overall economic activity and employment. No recent facility appears to have earned anything approaching a reasonable return on investment. No recent facility has been self-financing in terms of its impact on net tax revenues. Regardless of whether the unit of analysis is a local neighborhood, a city, or an entire metropolitan area, the economic benefits of sports facilities are de minimus.

But hey, feel free to continue to promote the idea that giving away money to a billionaire is in the benefit of the community to support your watching of a game.

omega50
03-15-2020, 12:49 PM
Interesting how the Oilers were in the exact same predicament less then 24hours ago.......yet I didnt see any of their hockey players come to the fore front and donate monies ;) Good on the oilers doing it rather quickly compared to the flames pregnant pause. they will buck up

posted yesterday
The Edmonton Oilers, and more specifically Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz, were facing some pretty heated backlash from fans this week when, unlike other franchises around the National Hockey League, they failed to make a commitment to continue to pay their salaried employees as a result of the suspension of the 2019 -2020 NHL regular season caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

In fact the Oilers, and again more specifically Katz himself, made the "naughty list," today. That list was one compiled by a journalists to keep track of all the billionaire owners of the National Hockey League that had thus far failed to commit to paying their staff in spite of the fact that they would not be working the actual games moving forward. Katz was on that list and was in fact listed as one of the wealthiest men on that list but it seems that the Oilers were planning to do the right thing all along, that or the pressure created by their own fans resulted in a quick and decisive response from the organization.

The Oilers have now released a statement making it clear that they will not only stand by their employees, but additionally they will be donating all food that would have been wasted as a result of the stoppage in play to a local food bank, turning an obviously negative situation into one that will have a very nice silver lining.

Big difference between paying your Salaried Full time staff compared to paying Hourly/Event Staff

Trochu
03-15-2020, 01:36 PM
I'd like to see the results of said study done exclusively on cities that get winter 6 months of the year and essentially have no similar venue. I get it in a place like Anaheim where the Honda Center, Anaheim Convention Center, Angels Stadium, Dee Dee Field, LA Convention Center, Staples Center, SoFi Stadium, LA Coliseum, etc. are all with 30 miles of each other.

crownb
03-15-2020, 02:09 PM

posted yesterday

But they never once sent their employees down the creek. They just took some time to work out the details. The flames however blatantly turned on the employees. Hard to support that, even if I liked the flames.

Talking moose
03-15-2020, 02:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200315/aefd9cfaad4739d809edb367e612b1ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigjohn87
03-15-2020, 02:34 PM
This is a black eye for the organization

1899b
03-15-2020, 02:42 PM
This is a black eye for the organization

It’s absolutely inconceivable as to why they aren’t doing the right thing in the name of community spirit.

Bigjohn87
03-15-2020, 02:49 PM
It’s absolutely inconceivable as to why they aren’t doing the right thing in the name of community spirit.

I agree, with the most financially successful owners in Alberta, the Flames should cough the money up and do the right thing.

Trochu
03-15-2020, 02:51 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200315/aefd9cfaad4739d809edb367e612b1ed.jpg

Unless the league suddenly got rid of 10 teams, that list isn't remotely accurate.

Where was all the anger when the Oilers didn't fund their arena staff for the playoffs during the last 15 years? :scared0018:

Talking moose
03-15-2020, 02:54 PM
Unless the league suddenly got rid of 10 teams, that list isn't remotely accurate.

Where was all the anger when the Oilers didn't fund their arena staff for the playoffs during the 15 years? :scared0018:

So basically last year or any year the flames make the playoffs the staff get paid an extra 12-14 hrs a year...?:scared0018:

Trochu
03-15-2020, 03:00 PM
So basically last year or any year the flames make the playoffs the staff get paid an extra 12-14 hrs a year...?:scared0018:

So if it's not a big deal, whats the point of this thread, there aren't that many home games left? 14 hours, no biggie, not a big deal, 20 hours, oh those evil owners! :rolleye2:

The government has said they'll cover missed work due to time off because of COVID-19. How many business owners on here are like "Nope, don't claim it from the government, I"ll pay that out of pocket for you to sit home for two weeks?" My guess is zero. Which makes total sense to me, but because they have money it's not acceptable for rich business owners to do so?

geezer55
03-15-2020, 03:00 PM
I heard on the radio that the players will be getting their last 3 cheques of the season for not playing. If each one of those players would take one of their cheques and pool them and then divide it among the workers it would help these workers out. Doesn't matter where you work; teachers, nurses, etc. it's the bottom of the food chain that pays the price.

Talking moose
03-15-2020, 03:04 PM
So if it's not a big deal, whats the point of this thread, there aren't that many home games left? 14 hours, no biggie, not a big deal, 20 hours, oh those evil owners! :rolleye2:

Point is, it’s a classes move.
Oil fans get a chance to point it out.
If the roles were reversed do you not see a flames fan starting a thread to point it out? Lol............
Of course you know that’s what would happen......lol.

Talking moose
03-15-2020, 03:09 PM
Well well.....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200315/a87083ae9fad5f7f25ed1aae5599291d.jpg

1899b
03-15-2020, 03:18 PM
Point is, it’s a classes move.
Oil fans get a chance to point it out.
If the roles were reversed do you not see a flames fan starting a thread to point it out? Lol............
Of course you know that’s what would happen......lol.

Yup nature of the beast when it comes to fans and the pro sports teams they cheer for. Goes with the territory

1899b
03-15-2020, 03:19 PM
Well well.....

Darn. I rather enjoy being disenchanted with that wretched club... lol
At the end of the day the public backlash shamed them into doing the right thing.
It’s their first thought to not do anything and be fine with that which is making this a PR fiasco...

Talking moose
03-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Darn. I rather enjoy being disenchanted with that wretched club... lol
At the end of the day the public backlash shamed them into doing the right thing.
It’s their first thought to not do anything and be fine with that which is making this a PR fiasco...

Yes we used to taunt the club as the Calgary Shames. Now it has substance...:sHa_shakeshout:
(To be honest probably most large corporations wouldn’t pay employees wages if they hit a bump in the road and could no longer keep operations running.)
Hockey has heart.

1899b
03-15-2020, 04:25 PM
Yes we used to taunt the club as the Calgary Shames. Now it has substance...:sHa_shakeshout:
(To be honest probably most large corporations wouldn’t pay employees wages if they hit a bump in the road and could no longer keep operations running.)
Hockey has heart.

Agreed on all counts

crownb
03-15-2020, 04:48 PM
Well well.....

Our thread worked, lol. Unfortunately their first action is what they will be remembered for.

crownb
03-15-2020, 04:49 PM

Zing, that was a beauty!!

roper1
03-15-2020, 07:38 PM
One thought would be if the league re-starts in a month.....pick April 15th, only 5 regular season games then a shortened playoff, will the compensated employees work those extra 5 regular season games for free because they've already been paid.......?

Rig-Rat
03-15-2020, 08:14 PM
As nice as it would have been for them to just say, the part time people would have been looked after. I am guessing guys like Murray Edwards may be a little busy, trying to organize the thousands of employees he has working for him in him massive company. Planning on how to keep plants and wells running, during all the current crazy. Just a thought, but lots going on, and the Flames aren't his only iron in the fire.

bessiedog
03-15-2020, 08:26 PM
https://i.imgur.com/VPkbOrE.png

Power move!!!

TreeGuy
03-15-2020, 09:40 PM
Not to sound heartless, but if I don’t work (for whatever reason) I don’t get paid. Should my employer pick up the tab of my regular wage if circumstances prevent a project from moving forward as scheduled? Nope. This contrived controversy is ridiculous.

Talking moose
03-15-2020, 09:46 PM
Not to sound heartless, but if I don’t work (for whatever reason) I don’t get paid. Should my employer pick up the tab of my regular wage if circumstances prevent a project from moving forward as scheduled? Nope. This contrived controversy is ridiculous.

If say 30 of 32 of your employers competition are doing it, then ya, it kinda makes them look lame. But your right, they don’t have to do it.

does it ALL outdoors
03-16-2020, 01:46 AM
https://i.imgur.com/VPkbOrE.png

Power move!!!

:):happy0180: :):happy0180:

Colt45.
03-16-2020, 07:03 AM
Looks now that they ar going to offer compensation, only after giving themselves a big black eye first...

waldedw
03-16-2020, 07:49 AM
AH the power of social media

skain11
03-16-2020, 10:04 AM
We cannot be surprised as we know who the principal owner of the flames is. His company CNRL runs as cheap as possible ( probably why it was one of the best performing O&G stocks), he was Bettman's right hand man during the last NHL labor negotiations and his RCR resorts charge extra for everything. You would think Ken King might have stopped the original announcement had he been able to. RIP...(sk flames fan)

Gerald J
03-16-2020, 11:46 AM

You have a point. But then NHL owners are not your regular employer. I thought an article published by the Edmonton Journal explains it pretty well. The link is below but the line that really stuck out for me was "Why should NHL owners be on the hook? Because they’ve made millions and millions of dollars off the premise of loyalty and community spirit."

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/covid-19-edmonton-oilers-to-give-rogers-place-part-time-staff-financial-assistance/

Trochu
03-30-2020, 10:44 PM
Remember all that Flames bashing that went on just a few short weeks ago, I'm assuming mainly by Oiler's fans?

"Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) implemented a temporary staff reduction of 139 employees effective April 13 as well as compensation rollback for all continuing staff working from home."

boah
03-30-2020, 11:09 PM
You might want to check in on the flames employees.