PDA

View Full Version : Generators

davebuck
03-17-2020, 02:24 PM
Want to buy a generator for my holiday trailer what would you recommend the Honda 3000 our the Hyundai 3400 thanks for any advice

fishtank
03-17-2020, 02:28 PM
Honda 3000 , a used one can be had for around $1000 right now on Kijiji’s

kingrat
03-17-2020, 02:37 PM
Honda or Yamaha inverter both almost identical, worth the extra money in the long haul.

Justfishin73
03-17-2020, 03:47 PM
Honda

nimrod
03-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Im also looking at getting a generator, but I want the one that has a remote starter , costco has one for 500 if my memory is correct, if you take good care of one it should still work for 3 or 4 years.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
03-17-2020, 04:39 PM
Yamaha 3000 hands down. She’s gear driven and Honda uses rubber bands plus a burn job fee to replace the rubber band.

elkhunter11
03-17-2020, 05:57 PM
Honda or Yamaha, both are excellent.

vinny
03-17-2020, 05:59 PM
Honda

obsessed1
03-17-2020, 07:41 PM
I run a 2500 Yamaha inverter. She runs super quiet. We have the same one for work and it's going on 7 years now and still runs like a top. Gets run hard too. My personal one is starting it's 4th season this year, starts and runs fantastic.

Hunter guy
03-17-2020, 08:29 PM
Both are good can’t say for a Honda I got a Yamaha I also run a 2000 watt champion inverter been an excellent generator runs my 5th wheel no problem quiet as the Yamaha and half the cost

BUSHRVN
03-17-2020, 08:42 PM
I’ve got the Honda 3000. Bought new in 2006. I change the oil every spring, plug a few times since new and a finally a battery last year(has sat in unheated storage every year since new). It always fires right up in the spring. I always use premium gas and a dose of stabilizer in the fall before storage.
I bought it from Honda Extreme back then and they had remote start kits that they installed then that has and still is working flawlessly.
Back when I bought it the remote start was about $300. It was easy to justify since we had babies at the time and if the wife needed a bottle nuked in the middle of the night, I didn’t have to go outside and start it(while back country camping).
I’d never do without the remote, ever!
All Honda 3000’s in our group(4) and no problems.

mayuan
03-17-2020, 09:13 PM
Both are good can’t say for a Honda I got a Yamaha I also run a 2000 watt champion inverter been an excellent generator runs my 5th wheel no problem quiet as the Yamaha and half the cost

I've been running the Champion 2000 for about 3yrs and it has been a great generator. Is it on the same level as the Yamaha or Honda... likely no, but quiet and runs great. Also, picked it up for about $400 new and thought for that price what the hell.

Atex
03-17-2020, 10:56 PM
I got a Honda EU2000i for the last 7 years or so, worth every penny IMO. :sHa_shakeshout:

expedition
03-18-2020, 12:20 AM
I'm a big fan of Honda. If you buy a Honda you should check out a kit sold on Amazon that allows owners to hook up a portable outboard tank increasing it by 5 gal . Cheers

TBark
03-18-2020, 05:27 AM
I have the Yammy 2000i for the cabin.
I even wired a key fob kill switch so I don’t have to go outside on cold nights.
It tops out aprx 14-1500 watts though.

TBark

SuperCub
03-18-2020, 05:39 AM
My hunting partner has used a Yamaha at his camp for the last several years. His late father used a CPAP at night and that genny ran all night long every night for 1000s of hours keeping that going. It was quiet and easy on fuel with ZERO problems.

If I was going to buy a long run generator, it would be a Yamaha based on that.

SamSteele
03-18-2020, 06:32 AM
I watched a YouTube video yesterday showing the install of a kit that allows you to run Honda 2000 and 2200 gen sets on propane or regular gas. Kit install took about 20 min and looked clean. A nice option for camping if you don’t want to bring jerry vans.

I have a Champion 2000 inverter that I got for $250 new as the box was destroyed. Runs great and serves my needs. It didn’t want to start earlier this month after sitting since fall. I drained the carb bowl, pulled it off, removed the main and blew it out. Reassembled and it started right away and runs perfect. It’s a good little backup for emergencies or when I need power at the back of the property.

BUSHRVN
03-18-2020, 06:54 AM
I'm a big fan of Honda. If you buy a Honda you should check out a kit sold on Amazon that allows owners to hook up a portable outboard tank increasing it by 5 gal . Cheers

Interesting, just searched and can't find it. Maybe I'm not using the right key words.
update, found it.:rolleye2:

BUSHRVN
03-18-2020, 08:31 AM
Im also looking at getting a generator, but I want the one that has a remote starter , costco has one for 500 if my memory is correct, if you take good care of one it should still work for 3 or 4 years.

This is the remote starter that was installed on my Honda 3000 back in 06 when I bought it. The remote has been flawless and works well as it actually does the half and full choke as well via the two different start buttons.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ZPQEMXU/?coliid=IBDNB5GP9VIY7&colid=XBLEO9SRSWT&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

BUSHRVN
03-18-2020, 09:02 AM
This is the remote starter that was installed on my Honda 3000 back in 06 when I bought it. The remote has been flawless and works well as it actually does the half and full choke as well via the two different start buttons.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ZPQEMXU/?coliid=IBDNB5GP9VIY7&colid=XBLEO9SRSWT&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This is the manufacturer of the remote. Way cheaper even with the US exchange compared to the seller on Amazon.

http://www.generator-line.com/~shop/eu3wx-wireless-remote-control-for-honda-eu3000is-and-eu30is/404462/

fordtruckin
03-19-2020, 12:48 AM
I watched a YouTube video yesterday showing the install of a kit that allows you to run Honda 2000 and 2200 gen sets on propane or regular gas. Kit install took about 20 min and looked clean. A nice option for camping if you don’t want to bring jerry vans.

I have a Champion 2000 inverter that I got for $250 new as the box was destroyed. Runs great and serves my needs. It didn’t want to start earlier this month after sitting since fall. I drained the carb bowl, pulled it off, removed the main and blew it out. Reassembled and it started right away and runs perfect. It’s a good little backup for emergencies or when I need power at the back of the property.

Champion makes a decent product. True not the same quality as Honda or Yamaha but I’ve had mine for 5 years now without any issues. It’s sat full fuel for 6 months and starts first or second pull Everytime. I do try and use premium non ethanol on it though. I was in college when I bought it so couldn’t afford a Honda. Nowadays is a different story but for how often I use it I’m ok with what it is. Is a hair louder than Honda but always surprises me how quiet it is for a cheaper brand...

honda610
03-19-2020, 06:49 AM
My dad has a 3000 honda and I have a 3000 yamaha
We both run them at the acerage for our power needs on travel trailers. The yamaha wins just by a slight margin. The yamaha burns less fuel with both genes having the same load, same noise, both heavy as heck.
Good luck buy once cry once.

Halfton
03-19-2020, 10:46 PM
I went through the same dilemma last year trying do decide. I have seen both the Honda and Yamaha 3000's used 1st hand by friends. My own research should them both to be so close function wise as to call it a draw between them. For me it came down to price...I went to Calgary and picked up the Yamaha 3000 with Boost at Arn's for a really good price...The dealer here was almost 600 dollars more and refused to budge one red cent down. It was also about 300 dollars cheaper the the Honda. The other thing that swayed me was the Yamaha comes with wheels built in....on the Honda the are a pricey 200 bucks plus add on.
Both these generators are heavy to move or to try to lift into the back of a truck and at 66 years old now, it proved to be a daunting task. So with the money I saved I went to Princess Auto and bought a tail hitch carrier which I either put on the back of the truck or the 5th wheel and just roll that Yamaha onto to it, tie it down with a few straps and hit the road.
Number one lesson...shop around as prices can vary widely on these.

Jim

walker1
03-20-2020, 08:35 AM
Red or Blue?
Pick.
Loved my honda 3000 but was heavy just like the yammy

beltburner
03-20-2020, 09:16 AM
The Firman ones from Costco are surprisingly good. They will fire up a hardstart big ac unit no problem

amosfella
03-20-2020, 12:20 PM
Be cautious of the ones like Firman and champion. I've tested a few of them. They put out around half of the rated power. If buying those ones, buy at least twice the power bigger than you need. YMMV.

Honda and Whacker are the ones I've used that seem to produce what's advertized.

Also, I've had better luck with ones that have pressure oil lubrication, rather than splash lubrication (Most homeowner genny sets.).

davebuck
03-21-2020, 03:00 PM
Thank everyone for your input Honda wins an I see the 3000 is on sale until the end of the month

OL_JR
03-21-2020, 08:44 PM
I went through the same dilemma last year trying do decide. I have seen both the Honda and Yamaha 3000's used 1st hand by friends. My own research should them both to be so close function wise as to call it a draw between them. For me it came down to price...I went to Calgary and picked up the Yamaha 3000 with Boost at Arn's for a really good price...The dealer here was almost 600 dollars more and refused to budge one red cent down. It was also about 300 dollars cheaper the the Honda. The other thing that swayed me was the Yamaha comes with wheels built in....on the Honda the are a pricey 200 bucks plus add on.
Both these generators are heavy to move or to try to lift into the back of a truck and at 66 years old now, it proved to be a daunting task. So with the money I saved I went to Princess Auto and bought a tail hitch carrier which I either put on the back of the truck or the 5th wheel and just roll that Yamaha onto to it, tie it down with a few straps and hit the road.
Number one lesson...shop around as prices can vary widely on these.

Jim

Funny I bought a yamaha 2000 IST at Arns last spring and same thing couldn't find any dealer closer that would match the price or even budge for that matter. Super happy with it so far.