PDA

View Full Version : Fishing around Yellowknife?

fishincrazy
07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
I know that there is some forum members on here who live around Yellowknife. Can you help me out with some info? Or how about any one who has been to Yellowknife area. I am starting to plan a fishing trip up there for next summer. I have heard that right on Great Slave Lake close to town is good for big pike? Is there lake trout in Great Slave Lake? If so how far out from town? Is there cabins to rent on the lake?

How about the lakes in the area how is the fishing? Is there cabins to rent?
I see on the map a road that goes NE of Yellowknife with some lakes along it. How is the fishing up that way?

We just got back from a great ten day trip to Reindeer Lake SK. and now it is plan our next adventure.

DiggsNWT
07-28-2009, 10:07 PM
lots of places to go...most are remote and need float plane access. Good fishing by road too...just need to know where and when. Great Slave has massive lake trout. East Arm is popular...you can launch at Ft Resolution or Yk or even Hay River. Better have good charts/chartplotter or take a guide. I know a few in Res.

GSL is a huge body of water and can be very unforgiving. Also, East Arm is very tricky has there are tons of small islands and channels. But it is absolutely spectacular.

check out this link for accomodations/services. http://www.spectacularnwt.com/

Diggs

jinx
07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Caught my very first fish a pike when i was 8 on the Mackenzie River it was almost as big as me!! :lol:

went back a few years ago with my hubby. We caught around the docks on Great Slave Lake nice size walleyes and pike. We rented a 14 foot boat for cheap. i believe it was at Prosperous Lake but cant be sure . People around the rivers or lakes were always friendly giving us tips were to go and what to use. have fun and take a lot of bug spray (Maybe a case).:eek:

Safety D
07-30-2009, 08:10 PM
If you do the east arm. take lots of gas !!!!

bisonhunter
07-31-2009, 01:23 PM
hey crazy,
yeah the fishing in gsl is pretty much second to none if you know the spots. the biggest issue is you absolutely have to know where the rocks are or you're in some serious danger. there is no rhyme nor reason to where they pop up in these shield lakes.

you're right about good pike fishing fairly close to town, 10km or so will get you into some pretty good water. the trout are farther out, but they are indeed there. with a bonus of grayling around lots of the islands too.

i personally don't know of any rental cabins but you may be able to track some down through tourism info or something like that. most people have their cabins strictly for personal use/use of friends. of course any lodge would rent you a cabin but it may require a short flight to get there.

july in my experience is the best month to come. typically good weather, and the fishing is lights out. especially for the giant northerns. i have had visitors all month this year and no-one has been disappointed. 20-25 pounders are a daily occurrence and usually a really good one comes along somewhere in there. (biggest so far this year a 34lb). i usually keep one somewhere between 12-18 lbs for shore lunch and c&r the rest, especially the big girls. photos make better trophies than dead fish imo.

the road north is the ingraham trail and yes there are a few lakes off of it also, but they are fished fairly hard in the summer and can be hit and miss depending on what species you're after. you can find lakers in a couple of these lakes, though they tend to be fairly small on average.

it might be good to hire a guide for a day and bring you're gps, that way you can get back to where you were if you feel like going again.

cheers