PDA

View Full Version : Income tax return

graham1
03-18-2020, 03:30 PM
Anybody hear anything about possible delays with return cheques?
With the extensions on filing I’m wondering what the return timelines will be like.
I’m getting a little back after several years of having to pay and it’d help out a fair bit these days.

Thanks

TBark
03-18-2020, 04:23 PM
Not sure about refunds but I just heard taxes due are pushed out til Aug now.

TBark

barbless
03-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Last I heard the sooner you get it in the sooner you get it back. If you do on-line should not take too long at all. If you go by snail mail that could take longer. My friend had hers back in 2 weeks after hers were done on-line without discrepancies. Last I heard was deadline July not sure if end of or beginning. Check out the web site best bet

realist
03-19-2020, 08:04 AM
Did my daughter's tax Mar 1. She got a direct deposit into her account on Mar 9, so about 8 days.

MoFugger21
03-19-2020, 08:08 AM
For e-filed returns, CRA aims for a processing time of 2 weeks. Generally, it hasn't taken that long.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/check-cra-processing-times.html

j335
03-19-2020, 08:25 AM
I field it on March 10th and got my return this morning

graham1
03-19-2020, 09:24 AM
Thanks.
Mine was done on the 10th as well.
Should see it soon

pinelakeperch
03-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Much easier if you sign up for the direct deposit. I think it generally takes a week to assess, and another week for you to receive a cheque. If you sign in to your CRA account there's a spot that will tell you if you've been assessed and when the cheque was sent out.

There's also a section that shows any uncashed cheques you have. Some people have thousands sitting in there. https://globalnews.ca/news/6623878/cra-uncashed-cheques/

nast70
03-19-2020, 10:11 AM
On this note, Canada Post may be halting mail delivery (I was told by Epcor, just word through the grapevine, nothing confirmed). Might be a good time to sign up for as many electronic forms of bill delivery and payments as you have access to.

Geraldsh
03-19-2020, 12:08 PM
On March 19 CRA reassessed my wife’s 2018 filing and want to claw back her refund plus interest! I can’t say what I really think of them.

jigs
05-02-2020, 09:54 AM
I want to start doing my own tax return again but don't want to buy a computer program to do it. Is there a free version to file with or am I forced to return to the paper copy?

pinelakeperch
05-02-2020, 09:57 AM
I want to start doing my own tax return again but don't want to buy a computer program to do it. Is there a free version to file with or am I forced to return to the paper copy?

There are free versions of turbotax available. You might want to pay for the upgraded versions if you have a number of properties, investments, own a business, etc. If you simply want to do yours and your spouse’s income tax return, the free version of turbotax will suffice.

Cement Bench
05-02-2020, 10:04 AM
does turbo tax have any forms for capital gains on land sales?

58thecat
05-02-2020, 10:15 AM
Did my daughter's tax Mar 1. She got a direct deposit into her account on Mar 9, so about 8 days.

yup...did them right away under a week refund in:sHa_shakeshout:

no tissues or issues.....

EZM
05-02-2020, 11:22 AM
If you have a request for additional information (assessment) on your return (and are expecting a significant refund) like I am in my case ..... here's the problem .....

They are not in the office to close off pending assessments. There's no-one there and now you can sit and wait for your refund until they return to the office and close your file.

It's frustrating - In my case, they are asking for some tuition receipts, which I have claimed, and which I have receipts for, and it's pretty much an easy assessment to resolve.

Bit with no one in the office, I can't scan it and send it to anyone, therefore my refund check will wait until they start back up.

I should charge them interest !!!!!!!!!!!!!

waldedw
05-02-2020, 02:47 PM
I e-filed both mine and wife's on April 8 and money direct deposited on April 21 so 13 days, just for the record filed end of March last year and it took 23 days for the deposit.

MoFugger21
05-03-2020, 08:54 AM

CRA's list of certified netfile programs. Some are free, some you have to pay for.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/e-services-individuals/netfile-overview/certified-software-netfile-program.html