PDA

View Full Version : Fresh sausage recipes (without smoking)

blgoodbrand1
03-19-2020, 09:20 AM
Looking for some recipes for homemade sausage, farmers etc, preferably with out the use of a smoker. Thanks all and Happy first day of spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sns2
03-19-2020, 09:27 AM
This is a recipe that Bat119 and Omega have previously posted. It is definitely on my to-do list. And I will absolutely use pine cones.

Coburger Bratwurst Recipe

Fatty pork (see below)

For every 2 kg of ground meat:
32 g salt
6 g white pepper
4 g mace
4 g ginger (powder)
4 g lemon zest
4 g caraway
1 egg

30-36 mm hog casings

The meat must not be too lean. The overall fat content of the sausage should be 25-35 percent according to the Coburg Sausagemakers' Guild Association, i.e. fattier than most other sausages(?). I use 100% belly, which according to my reference tables contains around 25-30% fat.

Method

Trim, cut, chill and grind the meat on a coarse plate (8 mm/3/8"). Weigh and measure the salt and spices according to above. Grind the spices finely. Mix the meat, eggs, spices and salt and knead thoroughly to liberate myosin (until it gets sticky). Stuff loosely and tie in 30-35 cm/1 ft lengths. Keep refrigerated for 48-72 hours (to let the flavours bloom) before consumption or freezing.

Serve fried or barbecued. The traditional way is barbecued over an open fire of pine cones and served in a bun with or without mustard (opinions in Coburg diverge on this point).

Footnote: IIRC, Omega said he pours boiling water over the lemon zest for a bit to take away any bitterness. If he says it then I do it.

Au revoir, Gopher
03-19-2020, 09:42 AM
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes

This is where I start when I'm looking for a sausage recipe. So many sausages, so little time :).

ARG

bat119
03-19-2020, 09:58 AM
There's a lot of sausage recipes to choose from I have a vast collection try to describe what flavor/type you like if its just simple breakfast sausage this is an east one.

Breakfast links easy
Ingredients
• 4 1/2 pounds boneless pork 1/2 lb pork fat
• 5 teaspoons fine sea salt
• 4 teaspoons ground sage
• 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoons finely ground white pepper
• 17 feet sheep casing (24-26mm) or 32mm pork
• Canola oil, for greasing

saskbooknut
03-19-2020, 10:39 AM
The reference book -

Rytek Kutas - Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing.

Fresh Italian - mild - for 10 pounds meat
6 Tbsp salt
1 pint ice water
1Tbsp cracked Fennel seed, ground
1 Tbsp sugar
3 Tea spoons crushed hot peppers ( more or less to taste)
1 Tea spoon caraway seed, ground
1 Tbsp Coriander, ground

Fresh spices make a huge difference. We always cook a small sampler to adjust spicing to taste.

amosfella
03-19-2020, 11:07 AM
Scott Rea has a youtube channel where he tries all kinds of sausage recipes, especially ones from old books. He's also done a few where he made his own recipe with modern ingredients.

Offwork
03-19-2020, 01:02 PM
Rytek Kunas Great Sausage Recipes & meat curing.

This should be the bible for sausage makers. It is easy to read, lots of pictures, and gives a glimpse of his real life story. Very descriptive Details of equipment, various meats, proper and safe handling & lots of recipes.

The ingredients & spices listed in the recipes are commonly known and readily available, and measurements are given in pounds, cups, tbs & tsp.

It has information that is very relevant for both newbies to sausage making, as well as tips for the more experienced.

Highly recommended.

bat119
03-19-2020, 01:22 PM
Another good book by Rytek about 30 years old still my goto venison polish sausage recipe--- note the SIR price tag a blast from the past

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=2299&pictureid=10986

MountainTi
03-19-2020, 02:50 PM
Rytek Kunas Great Sausage Recipes & meat curing.

This should be the bible for sausage makers. It is easy to read, lots of pictures, and gives a glimpse of his real life story. Very descriptive Details of equipment, various meats, proper and safe handling & lots of recipes.

The ingredients & spices listed in the recipes are commonly known and readily available, and measurements are given in pounds, cups, tbs & tsp.

It has information that is very relevant for both newbies to sausage making, as well as tips for the more experienced.

Highly recommended.

Great book. I use that one as well as The Best of Wurst by Brian Pay

MountainTi
03-19-2020, 02:51 PM
Another good book by Rytek about 30 years old still my goto venison polish sausage recipe--- note the SIR price tag a blast from the past

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=2299&pictureid=10986

Nice, I've never seen or heard of that one

Red Bullets
03-19-2020, 02:55 PM
This site has a few good recipes in each category.
http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/

Piker
03-19-2020, 04:00 PM
I have been making sausage out of venison,pork,beef for about 20 yrs. I have used recipes out of all the above mentioned. You may want to do some small changes such as hotter or leaner. They all have been excellent. Sample a little bit at the start and then do the corrections if you want.